[SOLVED] Only using half of R.A.M.

JorMan

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
I recently just built my rig and bought two sticks of Battle Stix R.A.M. I bought two sticks of 8 gigabytes. When I logged into my PC for the first time I looked at This PC Properties and saw that I have only 8 GB installed. Does anybody have a fix?

If ram is not bought as a single kit, you may have issues.
Your motherboard manual will tell you which slots to populate if you are not using all of them.
Test each stick individually with memtest 86.
If each checks out individually, you might get them to work by increasing the ram voltage.
Failing that, return the sticks and buy a single kit.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
Ive had issues with PC only recognizing half of my Ram due to having my CPU cooler too tight, once it was loosened a bit Bios recognized all my RAM. in my experience windows was showing all the ram installed however only using half, keeping the rest as hardware reserved. the Bios was only reading half the RAM . so perhaps CPU cooler is too tight or not installed properly?

Please provide as much detail about your computer as possible.
Need to know the, Operating system, motherboard , is it a manufactured computer (like dell) or custom build ; ie exact MB, exact CPU, exact GPU, Monitor cable, exact ram, exact pw supply, etc. Do not post 16gig of ram; post the exact brand and mode/part# do that for ALL of your parts
I believe you are talking about Crucial Ballistix Ram.

JorMan

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
Ive had issues with PC only recognizing half of my Ram due to having my CPU cooler too tight, once it was loosened a bit Bios recognized all my RAM. in my experience windows was showing all the ram installed however only using half, keeping the rest as hardware reserved. the Bios was only reading half the RAM . so perhaps CPU cooler is too tight or not installed properly?
I don't think that would be the issue because my CPU came with a cooler that wont let you tighten it to far.

JorMan

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
Was the RAM sold in a kit together?

Did you install the RAM in the correct DIMM slot on your motherboard? (check you manual, it will tell you which ones to use.)
The RAM was sold in a kit. I'm not sure and do not have the manual anymore. I'm fairly new to PC'S and everything so I just followed the youtube video.

JorMan

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
Please provide as much detail about your computer as possible.
Need to know the, Operating system, motherboard , is it a manufactured computer (like dell) or custom build ; ie exact MB, exact CPU, exact GPU, Monitor cable, exact ram, exact pw supply, etc. Do not post 16gig of ram; post the exact brand and mode/part# do that for ALL of your parts
I believe you are talking about Crucial Ballistix Ram.
OS=Windows 10
Motherboard=ASUS B450
PC=Custom Build
CPU=Ryzen 5 2600
MB=Not So Sure What That Is
GPU=ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060
RAM=Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 2666 MT/s (PC4-21300) CL16 SR x8 DIMM 288-Pin
Monitor Cable=HDMI
PW=EVGA 600 BQ

JorMan

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
If ram is not bought as a single kit, you may have issues.
Your motherboard manual will tell you which slots to populate if you are not using all of them.
Test each stick individually with memtest 86.
If each checks out individually, you might get them to work by increasing the ram voltage.
Failing that, return the sticks and buy a single kit.
OK, I'll look into that.

JorMan

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
Take that one out and put the other one in and scan it, I usually run my scans overnight. If it checks good , scan with both in.
I had an issue with some memory that individual sticks scanned good but with all 4 sticks in it had errors but scanned good with 3 sticks, ended up raising the voltage to 1.52 to get them to work.

JorMan

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
I recently just built my rig and bought two sticks of Battle Stix R.A.M. I bought two sticks of 8 gigabytes. When I logged into my PC for the first time I looked at This PC Properties and saw that I have only 8 GB installed. Does anybody have a fix?
Thank you, everyone, for being so supportive but I've fixed the issue. What I did is I just completely took out the RAM and re-installed it, I guess when I installed it I didn't fully snap it in. Anyway, thank you once again.