Op-Ed: Comcast Trying to Prove It Isn't Horrible By Offering Free Internet and Debt Pardon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

f-14

Distinguished
i've known since the 1990's when sprint laid down their fiber network that they were ready for the conversion to video phone service. all they had to do was connect the fiber to the door, tehy already had trunk and branchlines to all newer neighborhoods 1990 and newer. even telecommunications providers such as TDS have these branch lines connected to sprints trunk lines in newer local neighborhoods since the 1990's. i've walked over to the boxes and seen the fiber cable inside when service techs come out.

i know for a fact windstream has fiber networks going thru the 2000's and newer neighborhoods i can see the line couplings and fiber cables in the boxes as well as the labeling right on the network boxes going down the street.

i know a few national fiber installers making this happen all over america. the one down the street from me is muller & pribyl utilities and have been busy with the directional boring installation since the 1980's.

Time Warner And Comcast Just Happen To Boost Customer Speeds Near Google Fiber
By Laura Northrup August 4, 2014
(tehusagent)
(tehusagent)
When Google Fiber entered the Internet service provider market in Kansas City, the strangest things began to happen. Current providers Comcast, Time Warner Cable, which operate in different parts of the metropolitan area, had to start acting like they were in a competitive business. Last week, bost Comcast and Time Warner announced that they’re doubling Internet speeds for most customers, with no price increase.
There’s no catch, just competition. Customers who currently pay for 25 megabit per second service will get 50 mbps; customers who pay for 50 will get 105, and customers who pay for 105 will get 150.
The Kansas City Star does point out that similar speed boosts have been put in place in other markets where Comcast does business, including in Texas, in California, and in the Northeast. Yet the choice of Kansas City surely has nothing whatsoever to do with the presence of Google Fiber in that area. Neither does AT&T’s build-out of their own gigabit fiber network.
Comcast is boosting Internet speeds for Olathe, Independence and other KC suburbs [Kansas City Star]
http://consumerist.com/2014/08/04/time-warner-and-comcast-just-happen-to-boost-customer-speeds-near-google-fiber/

Comcast takes on Google, Verizon with fiber launch in Florida
July 28, 2014 | By Sean Buckley
http://www.fiercetelecom.com/story/comcast-takes-google-verizon-fiber-launch-florida/2014-07-28

You won’t believe what happens when Comcast and TWC face actual competition
http://bgr.com/2014/08/05/comcast-twc-vs-google-fiber/

By Brad Reed on Aug 5, 2014 at 8:10 AM
Email @bwreedbgr
For the past couple of years, we’ve been alternately amused and horrified whenever cable company bigwigs have told us that we don’t really “need” fast speeds like those offered by Google Fiber, so why bother significantly investing in infrastructure upgrade? It turns out, however, that both Comcast and Time Warner Cable have quickly changed their tunes now that they’re feeling the actual heat of free market competition for the first time in years.

Consumerist notices that Comcast and TWC both have just happened to significantly boost speeds in the Kansas City metropolitan area, which also happens to be the first area where Google has launched Google Fiber. These speed increases aren’t anything close to what Google is offering with Google Fiber, of course — Comcast customers who subscribe to its 25Mbps service will get a speed boost up to 50Mbps, 50Mbps customers will get a speed boost up to 105Mbps and 105Mbps customers will get bumped up to 150Mbps, all completely free of charge.

We imagine that there have been a lot of very tense, awkward calls in the Kansas City area recently from customers who are informing their cable companies that their slow, overpriced services will no longer be required. In fact, I imagine many of those calls go something like this:

Comcast rep: Hello, thank you for calling Comcast, how may I help you?

Caller: I’d like to cancel my subscription to Comcast, please.

Comcast rep.: We are the No. 1 provider of Internet and TV service in the entire country. Why is it that you’re not wanting to have the No. 1 rated Internet service, the No. 1 rated TV service available?

Caller: Because Google Fiber is kicking the crap out of you and offering me a 1Gbps service for just $70 per month. Right now I’m paying that much for your 25Mbps service.

Comcast rep.: Why don’t you want the faster speed? Help me understand why you don’t want faster Internet.

Caller: You don’t have the fastest Internet. Google Fiber does. What part of “1Gbps” do you not understand?

Comcast rep.: So you’re not interested in the fastest Internet in the country? Why not?

Caller: Are you kidding me. 1Gbps is faster than 25Mbps. And I’m getting it for the same price that I was paying you guys for subpar service.

Comcast rep.: I’m just trying to figure out what it is about Comcast service that you don’t want to keep?
You get the idea.

UPDATE: Comcast chimes in to say that Kansas City wasn’t the only market where it announced these upgrades — apparently customers in California and in Houston, Texas are getting big speed boosts too. We’ll be eager to see whether Comcast expands this program to more markets and whether it gets even more ambitious in boosting speeds to be more on par with what Google Fiber and other municipal fiber networks such as the one in Chattanooga, Tennessee are offering.

Troll much? What if someone does? Not a big deal, you know.

if facts are trolling, then we're all nancy pelosi sending obama a dark chocolate cake!

Pelosi Presents Obama With Dark Chocolate Birthday Cake
July 31, 2013 4:56 PM
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/07/31/pelosi-presents-obama-with-dark-chocolate-birthday-cake/

Status
Not open for further replies.