Open Beta for Final Fantasy XIV Postponed

Status
Not open for further replies.

lun4tic

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
What can you expect from a beta? The issue is probably a recent screw up on their end. I hope they iron out the process of putting up high load servers before the 22nd.

NotYetRated

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
NNOOOOOO I had an evening of bug catching planned :( Love Square games. Have not tried their earlier foray into MMORPG But this game simply looks far too beautiful to pass up. Hopefully they iron out the wrinkles quick! Though.... this game is just going to be a time-passer for me until KOTOR makes its way into my life. Better get some sun while I still can...

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Just so long as it isn't another 'fight rabbits for 60 levels' game again. My biggest grievance with the original game was at level 5, I was fighting rabbits, and at level 55, I was fighting rabbits (and they were the same color and had the exact same abilities, just the level 55 one hit harder).

coleipoo

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
FFXIV is shaping up nicely...it's actually a good thing they are getting rid of bugs like this and postponing the beta release. Imagine the nerd rage if people could play the open beta but it turned out to be completely unplayable for a few days.

This is what developers need to be doing, so they don't release a sloppy product. It's the essence of a beta.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
No problemo here. I want to play beta cause I preordered and would like to know if I should cancel before the game comes out.

I can wait though, cause in the meantime Ill get a few more chances to finish up FFXIII.

antemon

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
I still can't believe the recommended system requirements want you to have i7 or a hexacore

I think squeenix fails to remember that they need people to play the game, and not many have that kind of setup :|

dstln

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
[citation][nom]antemon[/nom]I still can't believe the recommended system requirements want you to have i7 or a hexacoreI think squeenix fails to remember that they need people to play the game, and not many have that kind of setup :|[/citation]

Are you serious? Somehow I really doubt that. Considering that the benchmark program only used two cores, that makes no sense at all...

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]dstln[/nom]Are you serious? Somehow I really doubt that. Considering that the benchmark program only used two cores, that makes no sense at all...[/citation]
I have seen several mention that, yet when I run the benchmark it taxes four cores, odd.

IM0001

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
As a player of the closed beta, I really do not care to get the game. Pre Release version or not, the game felt like they took everything that made a GOOD mmo "Good" and left it out. Poor guidance through the game, horrible control scheme (that you cannot change), XP gain limits, odd and confusing questing system (wasn't all bad but it had its limits as well as hangups). Their are a lot of other issues like the Graphics while great at times, had a horrible blur-in/pop in style look when walking (things at a distance that you were approaching would have a visible line where it went from bad quality to good quality.

Overall I was unimpressed with it as a MMO for todays standards. While the sounds and Animations were top notch (and a huge increase in sound quality/choice vs Aion) its not enough to have me want to give it a full swing go for a good while.

Interesting game, interesting world, but has too many things that have already been done, proven not good, and used anyway with to little of what has been proven good integrated.

Just my $.02

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]dstln[/nom]Are you serious? Somehow I really doubt that. Considering that the benchmark program only used two cores, that makes no sense at all...[/citation]
The benchmark used 4 cores with windows reporting 20 and 30 percent use on each one running on my AMD Phenom II X4 965... Are you sure it only uses 2 cores?

[citation][nom]antemon[/nom]I still can't believe the recommended system requirements want you to have i7 or a hexacoreI think squeenix fails to remember that they need people to play the game, and not many have that kind of setup :|[/citation]
If you check out different bench scores you find the graphics cards are the bottleneck for most systems. A friend of mine was able to get the closed beta running and looking half decent on his laptop with only an Nvidia 8600 with 512MB of video ram. I think he has a dual core CPU but no idea which one.

Besides, this is or should be the strategy for all PC games. Take Doom 3 for example. It raped thousand dollar rigs when it was released. Now, I can run it on a $500 (maybe less) rig on max settings. Doom 3 and other games based on its engine look good even by today's standards. If they had geared it to run on max setting for PCs back in 2004, it would have looked Ok then and look like utter poop today. (At least, this is what I hope is happening. The alternative is the game was coded by a million monkeys until something that compiled popped out).

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

*recommended*, not minimum required. TBH, it is a much better approach to have the option of cranking up the graphics than being stuck with muddy Walt Disney graphics that WoW has. Whoops, I said the W word. Also the people that play FF I would be in general on the average have a higher intelligence about computers overall and wouldn't have to worry about such issues.

zaixionito

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Wait, betas are supposed to stop bugs. Now, they are fixing bugs, and DELAYING the open beta? There seems to be little point then...

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]Ramar[/nom]I was pretty excited for this until the 8-hour a week limit was leaked. I'm not paying money to not play a game.[/citation]
Wow, I hadn't heard that. That's ridiculous. I could see 15-20 hours in a week, but you could easily play more than 8 hours during one day of the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.