News Open Frame PC Case Launches with Monitor Mounting

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
This seems like a great case for benchmarks and testing, but I would not use this in a normal room where static can damage the life of components, so I don't know about LAN parties unless you got a lot of money to buy new computers on a regular.
It does look great and seems great.

This seems like a great case for benchmarks and testing, but I would not use this in a normal room where static can damage the life of components, so I don't know about LAN parties unless you got a lot of money to buy new computers on a regular.
It does look great and seems great.
The dangers of ESD are greatly exaggerated these days, modern hardware is much more resilient than it used to be. Additionally, the case would be grounded just the same as any other metal case.
What I would be concerned about is damage to fans/ports by accidentally knocking into components or having stray objects lodge in them.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I like the look of this, though I do have a concern with regards to fans - or none at all.
This puts them closer to the user than ever, so there's going to be an want to run fans at even lower rpms or opting for passive cooling.

Jun 23, 2022
Maybe I'm wrong, but my main consideration would be dust, especially fatty dust layering on the hardware. Looks Nice though.

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
The dangers of ESD are greatly exaggerated these days, modern hardware is much more resilient than it used to be. Additionally, the case would be grounded just the same as any other metal case.
What I would be concerned about is damage to fans/ports by accidentally knocking into components or having stray objects lodge in them.
It's quite the opposite, as processes get smaller, they get more succeptible to ESD damage unless they have a Mil-Spec for that specifically, which I doubt, unless the components cost like 5K each.

While you might get lucky with your components, I've actually seen damage done by ESD on boards and components, especially on dry rooms with carpets and on dry climate, which at the component level greatly reduce their lifetime, which is why I mentioned that if you're OK buying equipment on a regular, don't bother.

I don't have time at the moment to post some good studies on it, but if you have access to a research database, do some looking. Here's one:
https://terpconnect.umd.edu/~bthan/paper/IGBT/2019_IEEE TDMR_Test Scheme and Degradation Model.pdf

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
First thing that come to mind is the stray RF emission ruining the day of every ham and AM radio fan in the neighbourhood.

Not that there are many of those left, sadly.

All you need is a well-meaning relative with a duster, or a toddler with a handful of quarters and a screwdriver.

Or just a cat.

Probably not a good choice for anyone not living alone.

TRENDING THREADS