Question Operating System Not Found

Go into bios and see if the disk is showing up there and make sure that the hard drive is the first boot option.
If it doesn't show in bios then it could just be that it got a bit lose and doesn't make proper connection anymore you can open the trapdoor of the laptop and make sure that there is a proper connection.

And lastly the electronics of a hard disk can fry or otherwise fail even if the platters are 100% healthy, and that is the only thing the test apps can measure, if there is any problem with reading the data or not, including disconnects and so on.

Reactions: inconnaissable

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Go into bios and see if the disk is showing up there and make sure that the hard drive is the first boot option.
If it doesn't show in bios then it could just be that it got a bit lose and doesn't make proper connection anymore you can open the trapdoor of the laptop and make sure that there is a proper connection.

And lastly the electronics of a hard disk can fry or otherwise fail even if the platters are 100% healthy, and that is the only thing the test apps can measure, if there is any problem with reading the data or not, including disconnects and so on.
In addition to this good advice, make sure that booting from the network is not your primary boot selection in the BIOS. That is what you are seeing in the image above.

inconnaissable

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2016

In addition to this good advice, make sure that booting from the network is not your primary boot selection in the BIOS. That is what you are seeing in the image above.
I'm not really familiar with bios and opening it so I think I might just get it repaired. I'm worried I might make it worse.
It might be the hard drive is the problem but I'm really hoping it's not. It's a pretty old device.

Thank you so much for your advice though. I'm hoping it can be fixed with my drive and files intact. 😭

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Sure, the HDD could have died. However, the BIOS isn't a terribly scary place. You can certainly look without changing anything and changing the boot order is rather straight forward.

Just opening the BIOS to see if the HDD is recognized and looking at the boot order carries no risk.

Jul 13, 2024
Just turn off PXE boot and any PXE networking options in the bios, don’t pay for any repairs, check your boot list and make sure Windows boot loader is first, and if thats not a option put your hdd or ssd first in the list, it should be in the configuration or system configuration tab of your bios