Opinion: 10 Technologies That Need to Deliver in 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I have just got done picking thru the Windows 8 Developer preview and I freakin hate it...

If this is what they are gonna use for the framework of Win8 then we are gonna be using Win7 for a long time......

But Win8 does have a nifty new GUI based MultiBoot(menu) program....

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
[citation][nom]digitalzom-b[/nom]Given the gas price forecast this year... I'd say electric cars/alternate energy transportation needs to evolve quicker.[/citation]

It doesn't need to "evolve" it needs to be more affordable....

g4114rd0

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
 1 still cant see a virtual Tom's Performance Charts 3D Analyzer-Screen.
The CPU, the motherboard, GPU and the RAM...
in particular must be ... a Virtual Tom's budget.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
[citation][nom]digitalzom-b[/nom]Given the gas price forecast this year... I'd say electric cars/alternate energy transportation needs to evolve quicker.[/citation]

They did evolve. The US government was bought out in the 80s / 90s by big oil to cut funding for electric car research. OPEC wants gas prices high and a state of artificial scarcity since they have a nigh monopoly on our entire transport infrastructure.

@ the list : I don't want new features in Firefox, I just want it fast, reduce the memory footprint, etc, and let the add ons do any additional features. As is, firefox works great. I have never had a reason to migrate to Chrome because I never felt Firefox was worse than it.

Windows 8 is going to fail bad. Microsoft is trying to push touch screens and tablet interfaces onto mainstream computing (again, they did some of this crap with Vista) and it will fall on their face. The OS is still bloated as hell and slow, and I intend to completely switch over to Debian with Wine to play games this year since DX12 is no where to be seen so Wine is mostly usable with modern games. Anything else, I'll use my old copy of Vista I'm still on. No reason to upgrade Windows when all new versions do is shove crap down ones throat.

The rest of it I really don't care about. I want to see fiber networks deployed more rapidly globally, but monopolies in the US are putting a damper on that.

I don't expect much tech innovation to happen this year. We are aiming for another recession, and the US dollar might hyper inflate any day, so as long as Kepler, Southern Islands, and Ivy Bridge come out at reasonable price points with all the new tripping features like PCI3 for an upgrade this summer, and LED LCD prices stay low, and hopefully the mechanical disk market rapidly returns to old cost levels to complement rapidly dropping SSD prices, it will be a great summer to build a new PC at least.

sure, but I doubt we will see anything big on that front in this year. Hopefully in 5 years we will see a bit of a change.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
One electric car designer put it this way: Electric cars will never catch on until they can out-power gas cars. I think it's correct. They've out-mileage'd gas cars, and are (slowly) becoming more affordable. The only thing they haven't done is out-power gas cars.

Plus, you have to think about power sources, too. Environmental nuts are all psyched up over electric cars, but they don't realize where that electricity comes from...

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]One electric car designer put it this way: Electric cars will never catch on until they can out-power gas cars. I think it's correct. They've out-mileage'd gas cars, and are (slowly) becoming more affordable. The only thing they haven't done is out-power gas cars.Plus, you have to think about power sources, too. Environmental nuts are all psyched up over electric cars, but they don't realize where that electricity comes from...[/citation]

Well, that's why I mentioned alternate energy too. We could run cars off of A LOT of other stuff.

Doomsy2006

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Yeah...I'd agree with whimseh. These may be things that people want but most will in no way greatly enhance how humans progress in life and interact with each other. Most of these will only keep people away from others. These would not be things that NEED to happen this year in my book.

I guess I just see different priorities than the need for some apps and a few pieces of hardware.

thehelix

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
I don't think 3D TV has to offer that much more.. The best way to watch a movie will always be on a good quality 2D tv. Glass - free 3d tv might improve but i dont think it will ever be adopted to that extend cause of the limited viewing angle.

I believe what most people are really expecting is a "Holographic Display" , at which point it will surpass the narrow definitions of a television.

G

I´m surprised that nobody has talked about windows 8-kinetick pc combo; I supose it is the alternative to touch desktops.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
[citation][nom]digitalzom-b[/nom]Well, that's why I mentioned alternate energy too. We could run cars off of A LOT of other stuff.[/citation]

what is sad is that electric cars are just as old as gas powered cars, but the tech was abandon for decades cus gas was so cheap...

getting off gas is more about energy independence then enivorniment, then thou its easier to regulate pollution at once source then 10k

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]TheHelix[/nom]I don't think 3D TV has to offer that much more.. The best way to watch a movie will always be on a good quality 2D tv. Glass - free 3d tv might improve but i dont think it will ever be adopted to that extend cause of the limited viewing angle.I believe what most people are really expecting is a "Holographic Display" , at which point it will surpass the narrow definitions of a television.[/citation]
3D depends a lot on your environment.. I went to visit my sister a few months ago and they had just won this 55" 3D TV.. It was originally set up in the finished basement because they didnt want to tear out their existing setup upstairs.. The couch in the basement is just barely far enough from the TV to be able to watch comfortably, maybe 6-8ft away and when I was watching 3D movies down there it was pretty dramatic since at that close range the TV takes up a large portion of your vision.. After a few days there though, I helped my BroInLaw put that TV and TV stand upstairs and brought the other one down.. Once the 3D TV was upstairs though the couch was like 15-30ft away from the TV depending on which seat you are in and it seriously changed the effects and it wasnt nearly as spectacular..

supall

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I am probably in the minority here, but I am hoping AMD makes a turnaround this year. Possibly improve his CPU architecture?

Status
Not open for further replies.