Opinion: Can Windows 8 Save the PC?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

With all the NEW items in Windows 8 there will many problems. Microsoft has never produced a Windows product without problems. Since there basic mode of operation is to have the public find the problems this could spell disaster for Windows 8 as it has done in at least two Windows products. Microsoft is very late in getting to the tablet market and this might also help sink Windows 8.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Yes, eventually the tablet will replace the desktop. It's not going to happen any time soon though. The fact you can get a desktop computer for much less than any well spec'd tablet will keep tablets from overrunning the computing market. I can get a desktop for $300, that is vastly superior to any tablet on the market. A lot of people have problems with the tiny 7-10" screen. Exactly how comfortable would it be to type a 5-20page essay on a tablet? So, aside from the portability....exactly what advantage does a tablet have over a desktop or even a laptop computer?

[citation][nom]mortsmi7[/nom]I knew who wrote this article before I clicked on the link.[/citation]
Yet, we both still click on it.... why? Is there some underlying fascination with reading the stupidity that is a Wolfgang article? He keeps claiming the PC is dying....yet, there's no proof to any extent.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Not many people I know use 3G. There's good enough wireless coverage anyway around. I don't tend to run into trouble with wireless. All of the computers I bought for my end users essentially run the same hardware so it makes it easy to manage. Plus I did research to confirm that wireless works out of the box. I don't know why I bothered, because none of my end-users have even taken the curtsey of going to the library.

Parents and the BF's parents/sister are just like that.

Granted all they ever do can be done in two applications - Firefox and LibreOffice.

I don't see any need to pay full sticker price for Windows and Office. Most of the new Office features (whatever they are... because I used Office '97 and never saw the need to upgrade to anything until I lost the disc, had Office 2010, found Ribbon the worst thing in terms of usability then discovered LibreOffice)

Don't you just love cost-cutting? You can ask for a portion money back if you don't want to use Windows on your computer. :)

That's why I'll continue to support Windows 7, Windows XP and Linux.

Because nothing significant has been brought in 8 to warrant change. I just use Windows 7 when I need one of the Windows 7 features. Personally I hate aero.

/rant over

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

I actually don't use any Office packs :D I have Office 2003 and 2007 installed but other than that I never deal with any spreadsheets, docs or presentations, so I don't need Office. I think LibreOffice would work well for me, too (it's preinstalled with my Ubuntu 11.04 anyway) but I just don't care :p

This website IS for power users, so if everybody would be forced to switch to tablets, we all would feel the pain.

And I have to yet find a user (IRL) who'll HONESTLY tell me that a tablet will do for them. Most told me so far that they'll never switch to it completely because it's expensive and inferior to a netbook, plus touchscreen = fail. EVEN if they just do Facebook, e-mail and browsing.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]here is a great idea. why re invent the wheel? its round, and we all know how it works, that was every wheel up to xp was like. they started out wooden, than went to steel, added rubber, and than finally made the modern tire. now from xp - vista it was like adding led to the wheels so if anything punctures them, its not realy a flat tire, but its not preforming at 100% either. and with windows 7, they took the lead out, but just put in a different material but are doing the same crap. im all for changes, but not for a complete user interface overhaul and change just for change sake. i use windows xp, but i have 2 computers that are win 7, and every time i use them im reminded that they changed everything for no real reason, and on a lucky day i find something new to hate. and you cant tell me all the changes they made couldnt be optional, or had to be made at all. give overhaul all the car components, but let use keep the shell we are use to because we want to.because even the cheapest computers now have dual or quad core, we got more processing power than most people need, its not like back when single cores were the thing, and they were going faster and faster all the time. now, even a 10-20% leap in performance is not realy much at all.[/citation]
You are aware that even Win7 can still use the "Classic" UI right? If you're so concerned about the "performance loss" from the UI....switch to the classic UI, or buy a computer powerful enough to run Aero....

[citation][nom]amdfangirl[/nom]Desktops and Windows will always have their place because of power users like us. Guess it's like the 20-80 rule you have for MS Office. The 80% who use it only use 20% of the features and can be served quite well with LibreOffice. It's just power users that are really going to feel the pain if they ever switched to the tablet entirely.[/citation]
I'm not exactly a "power user", but I usually "feel the pain" within 10-15mins of turning my little 7" tablet on. That "pain" usually comes in the form of headaches, eye strain. Much beyond 15mins and I start to get tired of holding the POS up to view it. It's display is cheap, but has reasonable image quality.... I've gotten so used to looking at a 21" screen that the massive reduction in screen size results in headaches and eye strain...and this seems to be a consistent complaint from EVERYONE I've talked to.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Tablets are more of a fad than anything. Quite like the MP3 player rush.

Once everyone had one. Nobody wanted one.

The PC has some amazing kit in there.

It would take something really cool to make me switch from my Lenovo x120e (AMD e-350) ultra-portable.

Just on input the tablet suffers. Contrary to what many believe voice won't ever replace the keyboard. Could you imagine a workplace where people all use voice-controlled tablets? Or a school? Or a library?

Pen tablets don't quite get there... brand names and weird spellings get in the way of all that jazz. Even if they did, typing is still faster by a mile. Then you have tablet laptops.

This is why many of the popular tablets offer keyboards. But that makes you question:

Why didn't I just get an ultraportable in the first place? Something like a ULV Sandy Bridge or Brazos computer...

Tablets are a gimmick. Like 3d. Hurts your eyes but hey! It's brand spanking new.

And I can boast about one if I bought one.

Until they can make some kinda brain-control interface and telepathically communicate to your brain I doubt I'd want a tablet and even when that happens, I'll refrain from getting one. Don't want to get the gov't in my head.

lysinger

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
As a few folks have already noted, a 5 year old PC will do everything most people need it to do. This is more than likely why sales are slowing. No one asks me for a new PC in my shop, they all want used ones.

As long as an pad needs to be plugged into a PC, the PC is not going anywhere.

People love iPads because they don't use their PCs for a whole lot of anything. The iPad, as a friend of mine pointed out, is really changing the way we look at data and search through it.

When it comes to heavier duty computing the PC will be around. Heavier duty being storing large amounts of data, audio video, pro photography, legal research, etc.

Laptops have also hit the desktop PC market in a big way now that they are priced low enough for folks to buy. In my opinion, they are like Coach bags for most people, an accessory. People want to be seen with a shiny laptop to make them look cool or affluent (Same for the iPad). Forget the increase in computing power, less space taken up in the home, and take your business with you where you go. You can't get a lease or a loan for a new BMW, but you can buy a shiny laptop for $600

I think you will find that typewriters are still found in almost every law office and government building. Impact printers are found in most any machine shop and most auto repair outfits to print multi-part forms. Pens and pencils are still sold everywhere. PC sales may slow down, even become a specialty item someday, but they are going to be around for a long time.

runswindows95

Distinguished
I believe PC sales are slow for two major reasons:

1) The economy here in the US is so bad, a majority of people are holding onto electronics for as long as they can. Also, if they can fix it for cheap, they will.

2) As a lot of people already said, a 4 year old system is still fast enough for the
average user.

Far as tablets replacing PC's, NO! FOR THE LOVE OF PETE, NO! Think about it. I highly doubt this article was written on a tablet. I do a lot of writing myself, and I can't stand touchscreens. I would throw a tablet in the trash before trying to write on one. Also, I like working off my 28" monitor versus a 10" screen.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]here is a great idea. why re invent the wheel? its round, and we all know how it works, that was every wheel up to xp was like. they started out wooden, than went to steel, added rubber, and than finally made the modern tire. now from xp - vista it was like adding led to the wheels so if anything punctures them, its not realy a flat tire, but its not preforming at 100% either. and with windows 7, they took the lead out, but just put in a different material but are doing the same crap. im all for changes, but not for a complete user interface overhaul and change just for change sake. i use windows xp, but i have 2 computers that are win 7, and every time i use them im reminded that they changed everything for no real reason, and on a lucky day i find something new to hate. and you cant tell me all the changes they made couldnt be optional, or had to be made at all. give overhaul all the car components, but let use keep the shell we are use to because we want to.because even the cheapest computers now have dual or quad core, we got more processing power than most people need, its not like back when single cores were the thing, and they were going faster and faster all the time. now, even a 10-20% leap in performance is not realy much at all.[/citation]
Windows 7 was a VERY welcome change from stagnant old XP, but we have only had 7 for like 2 years & there should be at leased another 4 years before we should be forced to choke down a new "innovative" system.

(PLEASE upgrade to Win 7 for Pete sakes.)

G

Who said the pc'S are a dying bread? Netbooks and tablets are fashionable items, they were never meant to be desktops nor laptop replacements. Computers follows a continued existence cycles of around two to five years before being replaced by newer ones. the leaps of progress are less greater than they where (Moore's law). Sorry but Microsoft is only one element in the computer industry'S big chain and it is not the only one (remember winMe and vista).

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Says "runswindows95"

:D

Awesome sauce.

Marthian

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
So how much more comments saying PCs are not dying or extinct will it take Tom's Hardware to realize it's not going anywhere and STOP POSTING THESE ARTICLES!??!?

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
the slow PC growth may be due to people don't replace their PCs as often as they used to and there are other competing substitutes like notebooks, netbooks, tablets to choose from. if win8 looks like that i won't use it on any of my PCs.

G

win8 will "kill the pc" if anything... xppro64 ftw...
OP is a dearest comrade

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
To save the PC? I don't think PC needs saving. PC will always be the work horse for many people /and even more businesses/ and this new Metro interface does between nothing to harm to help in this area.

G

The PC business is not sick therefore, does not need to be saved, we are stronger than ever now.

runswindows95

Distinguished
[citation][nom]amdfangirl[/nom]I would gasp being a drama queen.Just wanted some sembalance of irony.Why does nobody get my sense of humour?[/citation]

Humor and sarcasm are hard to grasp in words. Also, I still have a Win95 system. Makes a great word processor when all the other systems are tied up.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Metro UI is going to make Win8 bomb on desktops if it's made default. It's slow and clunky for a mouse and keyboard, and not designed with decently sized screens in mind.

Let's say I want to change an apps settings. I have to take my mouse all the way to the bottom left to open the menu, and the settings start in the upper right. As silly as it sounds, that's quite a lot of "work" for a mouse. It's the small things like this that add up to a poor user experience.

Another feature of the UI is to have menus and such hidden in apps (with the app essentially in full screen). You have to typically right click somewhere, have the menu slide up, and then click what you want to do. This set up works great on a small touch screen, where screen real estate is essential. On a desktop where the menu bar doesn't really cut much off it's utter garbage. The extra click and tiny wait time don't sound like much, but when you actually use it, it feels slow and clunky. Having to click, wait, and click again every time I want to change tabs in IE is just awful. It's essentially living without tabbed browsing.

All that said, Win8 very nice after disabling Metro and going back to a desktop UI that actually works with a keyboard and mouse.

TL;DR version: Metro sucks for desktops, and should not be the default for keyboard/mouse machines.

Prideless

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Well little to no growth is to be expected in this kind of economy. Doesnt mean PC is going away anytime soon. This market has also been heavily tapped into and quite saturated.

Yes it will be a post PC era. The future is mobile. However there will always be a market in PC despite the foresight of decline.

Status
Not open for further replies.