Opinion: Can Windows 8 Save the PC?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

x Heavy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
[citation][nom]rwky_92[/nom]Personal Opinion? PC WILL NEVER DIE!because, compare the most performance laptop with a same performance desktop, look at the prices, and you'll feel the PC, buy for the money u bought that laptop, a PC! and you'll fell the PC'S power.When a notebook will hold 16core processore, 32gb ram, 3 graphic cards, and a few HDD with a few TB on each, then the PC will hold 100+ core, 100+gb ram, and so on... get the idea?[/citation]

I still run a XP box. Out of sheer loyalty to a machine which it's OS have served me and family well.

Also it is a reminder that one year during the Holidays I was told inside the Best Buy that no more XP so solly forever. Only what they put on the shelf (Vista) I went to newegg and that week discovered the death of XP as a offering among OS's

That was Microsoft's effort to force the "Masses" to buy a NEW OS. Guess what? They got bit in the ass because it will take a decade or more before the last XP box goes off line for good.

It will be real interesting to feed that old XP with SSD's and other fine hardware which it was never ever designed for. Hopefully by then today's cutting edge hardware will be considered Legacy by then.

The same way you put Historic Tags on a muscle car that can still beat anything at either the 1/4 mile or top end depending on how it is set up.

dola74

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Yes you do need a High End PC to play and truly enjoy games like Witcher, Witcher II, Skyrim, Crysis Trilogy, Dues Ex, Rage & pretty much any game you get on the PC is better than console (DX11) is amazing. The consoles are going to be updated finally in 2012 so that will help out the PC big time.

Millions play online games like WOW, Conan and Swtor and soon Diablo III the development of games for my generation who love games mid to late 30s will always open their wallets8) We been playing games since the late 70s to early 80s and have never ever looked back.

x Heavy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
I would not be surprised if Gaming will lead a way towards problem solving. If a Computer is sentient, it will never view a "Game" world" as a human does. If a Human mouse can find it's way out of a Wolfenstein or Doom Maze of decades ago the surely PC will never die.

What I fear is a great progressive invasion of smaller and smaller computers doing more and more in the form of handheld phones that can be a router or other device at a moment's notice.

What step then 5 years from now, we implant computers into babies to boost various qualities we deem desirable or suppress that which is not acceptable to society?

Should I not participate in that kind of life, then I would be treated the same as the Loner who lived away from the village in the woods. The thumbs down I see here on several pages here and there indicates to me that some people cannot handle the death/rebirth of technology or the elders who have been there done that before Mommy and Daddy made the young ones today.

If I had such wonders as this PC and Internet in my time, School would be viewed as a Dinosaur that is dead but not yet extinct.

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Jesus x Heavy, I wouldn't mind some of whatever drugs it is you're on. Also the topic has just reminded me of all the Amiga owners in the early to mid 90's that claimed it was nonsense that the Amiga was dying and how superior it was to the alternatives (PCs mainly), and now of course it's completely dead (if you weren't already aware) although you can still kinda buy an Amiga if you want, I can't think what you'd do with one when you got it though.

Anyway, moral of the story is that what you want to be true != reality, and you can't change reality just be spouting tough talk on a forum about how you'll never abandon PCs.

dontcrosthestreams

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
windows 8 exists for marketing firms and chinas need to spy. the pc does not need saving with a newish os. just read the user agreement when it shows up....any patents on your w8 computer arent going to be yours for long

G

Windows Phone 7 is already a bust, so why push the envelope further with Windows 8? Obviously, to everyone except the geniuses at Microsoft, no one is interested.

dennisburke

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Comparing tablets to PC's is like comparing apples to oranges, yes both are fruit, but they offer different experiences. I like the idea of tablets as a way to take the basics of what my PC can do on the road: email, information, and entertainment. I'm not ready to get a tablet yet, as my storage requirements are higher than what's currently be offered, and no way am I going to get a tablet with a HDD.

The tablet market is still in its infancy, and tablet sales are only going to keep growing. Microsoft is smart in developing a OS that will integrate everything into one eco-system. The PC will always be the chief of the tribe.

someonewhoknowsalittle

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I have a 50 year old vacuum tube PC that runs the internet, emails, instant messaging and videos just fine. I have to change one of the 20,000 vacuum tubes once in a while---we're switching to low greenhouse gas fluorescent tubes instead of incandescent bulbs to preserve the environment---and the computer does occupy 2,000 square feet in our root cellar but I don't see any reason to upgrade or switch to a tablet. The 10 inch viewscreen on my 50 year old black and white CRT monitor is just fine. It's not wanting to have everything that's important. It's enjoying everything you have. Who's with me?

someonewhoknowsalittle

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Until a tablet can do everything and do them as easily and as well as a PC does them, tablets will just be plaything toys.

If tablets running Windows 8 will allow easy syncing with PC's, easy printing and scanning by incorporating drivers for all common printers and scanners, easy WiFi and 4G connections, have mini or micro HDMI ports and mini USB 3 ports, allow multi-tasking, drag and drop, running full HD videos at 1920 by 1200, run Photoshop, Win Office and Flash programs natively, etc. then sales of the iPad will plunge precipitously and Apple stock will drop catastrophically by hundreds of dollars per share. Android tablets, iPads, Touchbooks and PlayBooks will go down in history like Newtons and Casio and Sharp electronic Organizers from the 1980's.

bobgun

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Actually if the person who wrote this article would go over to www.buildwindows.com and watch some of the videos he will probably like windows 8. It has some major advances and it looks to be the next revolutionary os. The previous one was windows 95. I am not an apple user nor do I have a problem with the I think they are way overpriced for what you get.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Denial, denial, denial... If this article is a test many failed here.

Tablets will grow up!!!, not by numbers alone but in power and capabilities. Understand.

Average consumers don't need a desktop PC and will never buy one again, it doesn't matter if windows XX will do wonders on them. Consumer needs consumer computer devices (CCD). And they need an OS for consumers. Windows 8 is a signal of the end or the separation of the desktop PC from the average consumer. W8 is not a sigh of prosperity for the desktop PC "platform". It wont save the desktop, but in fact will advance the tablet.

Most users wont sync with a PC again in 3-5 years. Most wont print with a desktop PC because the tablet and other computer devices will do everything consumers need to do.

Most PCs surviving in 3-5 years will be failing beyond the intention of the owner to spend anything on repair of the machine and they wont even be replaced by a new desktop. Add to this lack of interest a price increase in relation to the demand or market needs.

In that sense the desktop "PC" will die, or will become irrelevant for the general consumer and for the general business it represents today.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]I knew it's Gruener once I saw the title. I don't know what the hell is wrong with him, but I'm sick of his brainwashing about how PC is gonna die, "can this save the PC?", "can that save the PC?"... It's just freakin' stupid.[/citation]

We're all better off just not clicking on sensationalist headlines. They get rated by how many users read their crap. It's kind of like ads...

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]jecastej[/nom]Denial, denial, denial... If this article is a test many failed here.Tablets will grow up!!!, not by numbers alone but in power and capabilities. Understand.Average consumers don't need a desktop PC and will never buy one again, it doesn't matter if windows XX will do wonders on them. Consumer needs consumer computer devices (CCD). And they need an OS for consumers. Windows 8 is a signal of the end or the separation of the desktop PC from the average consumer. W8 is not a sigh of prosperity for the desktop PC "platform". It wont save the desktop, but in fact will advance the tablet.Most users wont sync with a PC again in 3-5 years. Most wont print with a desktop PC because the tablet and other computer devices will do everything consumers need to do.Most PCs surviving in 3-5 years will be failing beyond the intention of the owner to spend anything on repair of the machine and they wont even be replaced by a new desktop. Add to this lack of interest a price increase in relation to the demand or market needs.In that sense the desktop "PC" will die, or will become irrelevant for the general consumer and for the general business it represents today.[/citation]

A Tablet PC is a PC...is it not? I think Tablets are sort of included in this. Now if he had said "desktop"...but a tablet PC can be used as a desktop system too. As others have stated, the PC isn't going anywhere.

toorudez

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2002
And how, pray tell, do I use Autodesk Civil 3D on a tablet, or a touch screen monitor? Excel spreadsheets, MS Word, etc. would be next to impossible to use via touchscreen. Whom ever drabs on about the PC disappearing needs to give their head a shake. Did you write this article on a tablet? Probably not.

G

Look I understanding his view point but unless he's writing this article from his Tablet/Ipad/Cellphone then I can't understand why the "PC" would need saving. Your talking about a product that serves many dedicated functions. I hate to say the phrase but if I can play Crysis 2 on Maximum/Ultra settings then yes PC manufacturers should be worried. If you can have leading Office support aka Microsoft Office on their Tablet not just a crumy port or some program that has basic functionality, a real native application. Also When tablets are able to function as real dedicated servers. When I can easily install multiple operating Systems such as Linux based OS and Windows as well as run more operating systems in a virtual environment and not just a real time feed from a live computer then yes. I understand a LOT of people just buy a computer to casual surf and maybe print but people need a real machine for Photoshop, video editing, best gaming experience, making video games, writing essays etc. Can a tablet really do those things? I know in theory but they have no where near that power.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Microsoft still doesn't get it ... shaking head. So how many people here have a Touch Screen PC? Please, show of hands all those that have a touch screen PC? Now, hands up to all of those that plan to buy a touch screen monitor for use with Windows 8? Now, hands up all those that plan to buy massive quantities of screen cleaner to keep their monitor clean/clear so they can actually see the images on it rather than layer on layer of finger grease.

I would like Microsoft to just FIX what they currently have, introduce less OS bloat and not more, make it run faster, put an end to ridiculous error messages that your average user could possibly understand nor what to do if they get one. And for the goodness sake, if there is a problem during boot up sequence, communicate that problem to the end user ... and do it in a meaningful way, not a BSOD, not some cryptic message about XYZ.DLL unexpected exception ... how about telling us the significances behind XYZ.DLL ... like for example "your mouse has a problem, please try the following to resolve ... ".

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Maybe we are being a bit harsh on Wolfgang, maybe the tablet will one day cannibalise the PC market, but only because the PC market will eventually morph into a home server market.

I can see everyone having a tablet for everyday tasks and even heavy programming, encoding, ripping, designing because they will eventually get the faster CPU, more RAM, the only thing they wont be able to do is have huge banks of multiple drives and integrated optical drives.

But if all the storage was on NAS drives, accessible via the home network or even down the internet remotely, as long as the transfer speeds are up to it then it doesn't matter if the hard drives aren't actually on the tablet.

Optical drives? Almost on the way out, Bluray could easily be the last physical format before giving way to entirely downloaded, but even if all you do is rip the content from disk and put it on your bank of NAS drives all you really need is an optical drive on the network and that could be anywhere, wirelessly connected next to the TV, you could be watching it from the disk the first time whilst it simultaniously backs itself up, the next time you watch it could be on the other side of the world when you access it via the internet.

Gaming, the last bastion of the hardcore PC user, well with the advent of wireless HDMI, Thunderbolt technology I could easily see a game that in your Steam account, files of which are again located on the home NAS drives, being graphically processed by a stand alone GPU device and piped either wirelessly or via a very fast cable directly to any monitor or TV output, or even the tablet itself. If you are out of the house then the advancement of things like the Onlive service could do exactly the same, all you need is a good enough network connection.

What about the keyboard and mouse? Well one mouse can control many devices and Microsoft will be integrating it into the next version of Windows, I am positive that keyboards can do the same. Basically wireless automatic KVM switch.

So, maybe home PCs could disappear, to be replaced by a big home server or through streamed online services, accessible via the tablet as an interface worldwide, most of this technology is either already here or well into development, but it was a long time before the Model T Ford turned into a Buggati Veyron so the home PC isn't going anywhere anytime soon, but within the next 10 to 20 years? Watch this space.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]...I can see everyone having a tablet for everyday tasks and even heavy programming, encoding, ripping, designing because they will eventually get the faster CPU, more RAM, the only thing they wont be able to do is have huge banks of multiple drives and integrated optical drives.But if all the storage was on NAS drives, accessible via the home network or even down the internet remotely, as long as the transfer speeds are up to it then it doesn't matter if the hard drives aren't actually on the tablet...[/citation]

Home PC's will never be replaced, even less likely for anyone that works on them 8-14 hrs a day. Current and future battery technology just isn't capable and there is NO sign of any future break thru in battery technology both in size, capacity, and charge duration ... I mean NONE, not even a suggestion we'll see any "significant" improvements in battery technology.

As for combined network/storage, we already have that "BitTorrent".

As for getting a device to understand voice 100% accuracy, not in my life time, maybe 50 years or more away (assuming we survive this climate change process). As for one device does all, those exist and they have the same learning/rejection process as just about any device that is aimed at humans.

Touch keyboards on phones are a joke, talk about frustration and big time wasters and responsible for numerous car/truck/train accidents and deaths.

Not sure what you render, but some of the 3D sequence/scenes I render can take upto 50 hours or more on a very powerful computer ... and 3D rendering is just scratching the surface of physical real world light rays and their interaction with materials, solids, liquids, etc. That will never run from a battery based device nor a mobile device, not now, and not in the future just because each iteration of 3D rendering pushes the technological envelope as more and more realistic physics are render.

As for ripping to storage, that's going away, eventually people will realize they are just wasting time and wasting their lives ripping content (legal or illegal). Us humans will have so many other options to entertain and keep us busy that ripping will just be a case of "too late and who cares". Entertainment is shifting ... it's no longer Movies or Music ... there are just too many interactive options these days, too many other things to do than sit around ripping DVDs/BDs/Audio etc. to a file or portable device.

Bottom line, Windows 8 is an interesting idea with not practical application.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
The PC is hear to stay for some time just like the home phone. Even though mobile phones have become hugely popular, people still have and use their home phone, just like tablet's have become popular, people still have and use their PC and will continue too for some quit time.
Eventually Microsoft will see the error of their ways once people start saying goodby windows hello Linux "Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey-ey, goodbye"

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I tried the early dev release.... and I hate it. I'm usually really accepting of new GUIs and concepts (I actually like gnome3, even if it feels less efficient), but this just feels sloppy. Maybe it's because I used virtual box, but I feel like I'm missing buttons or something because there's no apparent way to close any of these little mini apps, and it refuses to dock on the sides (like they showed in the demo). Not to mention, Win+Tab doesn't give you a look at everything open, it just switches apps... which is frustrating because you have to just keep hitting it until it miraculously pops up. If anything, Win8 is a step backwards in an effort to appease the tablet fad (which can't die fast enough...)

I'm skipping 8. Maybe 9 is the new 7.

G

I wish companies like Microsoft would get past themselves and go back to just making an OS that we can use, setup how we want to use it instead of forcing a Vista or Win7 interface upon us. Watching people at Uni having to upgrade their skills (teachers) on how to do something that on old XP was a 2 click process turn into a multi degree (5+ step process) endurement is going to kill the OS, not PCs.

PCs are far from dead, how the future changes in regards to the OS we use will be interesting. I'm just sick of the gloss and forced changes "because they think they can" attitude. Not wonder Linux and other OS's are eating into the MS Pie, and for me that's a good thing.

I just laught at people trying to backstep to WinXP and reserve the "told you so"...

Status
Not open for further replies.