[SOLVED] Opinion on my first build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 3, 2019
Please give me your opinions/advice on this build. Its my first build and the more I read, the more confusing it becomes. So I've stopped at this point. The form factor is mATX. Not sure what PSU I need. Suggestions? Budget not an issue but no point in throwing money away.

Here is what I want ( in order of importance )
  1. Multi monitor support ( 2 will be fine )
  2. NVME drive
  3. 32GB Ram
  4. Fast as possible wifi adapter.
  5. On board graphics
  6. Quiet as possible

CPUAMD Ryzen 5 3400G 4.2GHz with Radeon Vega 11 Graphics
MotherboardMSI B450M GAMING PLUS Socket AM4/B450/DDR4/S-ATA 600/Micro ATX Motherboard
RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM
StorageSabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD High Performance Solid State Drive (SB-ROCKET-1TB)
CaseCorsair CC-9011134-WW 280X Crystal Tempered Glass Micro ATX PC Case - Black
KeyboardLogitech G513 RGB Backlit Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with Romer-G Tactile Key Switches (UK Layout) - Carbon

Help me before I click that buy button 🆒

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
3400g is basically a 2400g with some tweaks. Not much of an advantage for the price. £ for £, a 3600 blows it out of the water in every department except graphics.

The question becomes what's more important to you. The initial outlay being cheaper, or the time lost over the forseable usable life of the pc. Having a large file compile in 10 minutes is considerably different than the same file taking 30 minutes. Picture files loading in 1-2 seconds vrs 10-12 seconds a hundred times a day. Etc etc.

With today's demands and abilities of pc's, Tv's, cellphones etc coding and visuality is only getting larger and more complex, demanding speed to deal with.

32Gb won't help much when limited by the 3400g, 16Gb would be fine, 3600MHz would...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Right. Because running 4 instances is somewhat beyond the capabilities of your current pc. And that's the catch. It's a vicious cycle. The better the pc, the more you can do, and round and round. Every little upgrade just makes things better, faster, easier.

The question is, where does it stop?

Fans make 99% of the noise in any cpu cooler. Fan volume is reciprocal to fan speed. So the way to lower fan noise is lower the rpms, to do that requires a larger cooler, that's more efficient. You drop a Noctua NH-D15S on a 3600, I'm doubting you'll hear the fan over the gpu. Too efficient, too high a capacity, not enough cpu output to raise the fans speeds much at all.

So that's the skinny, getting nickle'd and dimed to pauperville. I'd start out researching what's recommended for VS, throw in any supplementary programming like node and the web servers, and figure out what you really need. For an average VM you are looking at 8Gb for Host and an absolute minimum of 4Gb per machine, with 8Gb recommended minimum. Maybe 32Gb will be a little tight. Maybe it won't. But plan on anything you use now to double in demand in a few years as software can now use it, so it does.

You are about to spend a decent chunk of cash, no point in buying something that next year will perform about the same as you have now, comparatively.

Reactions: Calibur