[SOLVED] Opinion on resolution vs. performance

Acidic07

Honorable
Dec 31, 2014
I'm considering 1440p @240hz, but i'm not sure i'll really be able to take full advantage. I'm pretty competitive when gaming, a lot of fps fast paced games. Could I make the jump? Or would I be better off at 144hz @ 1440p? Thanks in advance! My system specs are as follows:

CPU: core i7 8700k
GPU: msi GTX 1080ti
RAM: 32gb corsair vengance @ 3200
BOARD: Asus Prime Z370

Solution
You'll need to adjust the settings a bit to get 240 FPS but considering monitors are usually the least upgraded parts it could be a good investment and eventually later on there will be parts that can handle it. It also comes down to the game as well, something like CSGO should be easy to do but a newer game such as BF5 you'll probably need to lower the settings a bit to keep them consistent at that higher hz.

WildCard999

Titan
You'll need to adjust the settings a bit to get 240 FPS but considering monitors are usually the least upgraded parts it could be a good investment and eventually later on there will be parts that can handle it. It also comes down to the game as well, something like CSGO should be easy to do but a newer game such as BF5 you'll probably need to lower the settings a bit to keep them consistent at that higher hz.

Reactions: Barty1884
Solution

frankie47

Distinguished
May 31, 2014

Would you say 1080p and high refresh will be the standard for competive multiplayer for a good while yet or could we see 1440p be the new standard? I'm torn between 240hz monitor or 144hz 2k I currently have 1080p 144hz

WildCard999

Titan
Would you say 1080p and high refresh will be the standard for competive multiplayer for a good while yet or could we see 1440p be the new standard? I'm torn between 240hz monitor or 144hz 2k I currently have 1080p 144hz
1080P is still the most used resolution per Steam survey and likely not going to be going anywhere for awhile. Unfortunately I've never used a 240hz monitor (only 144hz) but a friend of mine does and I asked him if he saw a difference and he says yes. He is a Apex Legends & Overwatch player.
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

You may want to consider making your own thread to get others opinions, perhaps even a poll.

Reactions: frankie47