[SOLVED] Opinion on the Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB?

CraigsCraig

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
Hello!
I'm looking to buy a 1tb ssd and so far the sx8200 has been recommended to me the most and it seems to be one of my best choices? Is there any reason for me to not buy it?
Have a nice day! : )

Solution
Looking at the spec of that SX8200 SSD, it has Micron 3D NAND and uses a SM2262EN controller. Micron operate a quality 3D NAND foundry and the SM2262EN is a good solid controller. That is a pretty good pairing of NAND + controller IMHO.

Moreover, this disk gets an 86% 5-star rating on amazon.com. That is a pretty good rating for performance and quality for an SSD.

Don't always fall for "flagship" brand fallacy. At the end of the day, a Honda is more reliable than a Mercedes - ask any mechanic. The sames applies to SSDs - brand does not always matter than much.

Last February, I had the pleasure of meeting the Adata team. They take quality very seriously. In fact, because they operate in the gaming market - their SSDs take a...

CraigsCraig

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm using my pc mainly for programming, 3D art and gaming. I currently have an 860 EVO 1TB but just a single TB doesn't seem to be enough for me. It's got a 5 year warranty so I thought that makes it safe enough? The 970 EVO is also nice but it has a 3 year warranty instead of 5 and also lower write speed. A rather worrying fact for me is that both of them are out of stock, actually. Not sure why, but anyway. And then the Plus version is getting too expensive for me except if I get a great deal.

USAFRet

Titan
The ADATA will probably be ok.
Just my personal preference, I guess.

As always, whatever the warranty...backup backup backup. A 5 year warranty is for the drive, not your data. If yours is one of the (very rare) outliers that dies after a month or year of use, your data will be safe.

CraigsCraig

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
Yeah I also really like the meme you have under your posts xD A friend has been using an sx8200 for a while now and his is totally fine. So I think that yeah, I'll get that. And of course make sure to backup everything important. Thanks for your opinion and tips! I'm also still open to more answers by others or if you want to add something.

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah I also really like the meme you have under your posts xD A friend has been using an sx8200 for a while now and his is totally fine. So I think that yeah, I'll get that. And of course make sure to backup everything important. Thanks for your opinion and tips! I'm also still open to more answers by others or if you want to add something.
All drives (or electronics) are great. Right up until the moment they aren't.

I had a 960GB SanDisk die suddenly. Zero warning. Irreplaceable family pics on it, among other things.
My nightly backup recovered 100% of the 605GB.

CraigsCraig

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
Oh also, you still here? I hope so. I just went to amazon and there seemed to be a bunch of reviews saying that their controller is not the one that is supposed to be used and they're not getting the proper speeds. Any thoughts on that?

USAFRet

Titan

CraigsCraig

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
Thanks for sharing that article. This confirms a big reason to not buy the sx8200 as I guess it might be fine, but it might not. And I don't like gambling with tech as expensive as this. Which leads me back to the 970 EVO, which is worse on paper but might just be better in practice. I'm happy that we found this big con of the sx8200. Thanks for the cooperation and I'll be looking up to the 970 EVO.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for sharing that article. This confirms a big reason to not buy the sx8200 as I guess it might be fine, but it might not. And I don't like gambling with tech as expensive as this. Which leads me back to the 970 EVO, which is worse on paper but might just be better in practice. I'm happy that we found this big con of the sx8200. Thanks for the cooperation and I'll be looking up to the 970 EVO.
Speed differences between the major players are minimal on paper, invisible in actual use.
Reliability and reputation is a key concept.
Samsung and Crucial (Micron) make their own chips, and have much greater control over the whole process.

CraigsCraig

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
I see. I also checked out the Crucial P1 and P2 but they didn't seem to have 1TB version available. I don't really know why but I'm good with buying the Samsung anyway. Thanks for the extra info.

mundial

Reputable
Dec 31, 2017
Looking at the spec of that SX8200 SSD, it has Micron 3D NAND and uses a SM2262EN controller. Micron operate a quality 3D NAND foundry and the SM2262EN is a good solid controller. That is a pretty good pairing of NAND + controller IMHO.

Moreover, this disk gets an 86% 5-star rating on amazon.com. That is a pretty good rating for performance and quality for an SSD.

Don't always fall for "flagship" brand fallacy. At the end of the day, a Honda is more reliable than a Mercedes - ask any mechanic. The sames applies to SSDs - brand does not always matter than much.

Last February, I had the pleasure of meeting the Adata team. They take quality very seriously. In fact, because they operate in the gaming market - their SSDs take a pounding by the most demanding and critical customers in the IT space - gamers! The company uses these insights garnered from the gaming market to feed into their design and production process. This is much better than synthetic benchmark tests used by other manufacturers. They even make heavy duty industrial-class SSD as well.

Solution

CraigsCraig

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
But what about Adata not always using the controller and NAND that they initially said they will? Most say that this greatly reduces performance. About durability I cant really say much. The Adata does have a longer warranty but as the other guy said, that doesnt really matter. Maybe I should simply look at both of them and get whichever has the better deal?