Opinion: Seeing Through Apple's "New" iPhone 5c Illusion

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

patrickboyle

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013

See? the plastic 5c IS better :)

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

The 5 battery was 1440 mAh, the 5c is 1510. While a minor improvement, it is still an improvement.

Is Apple cheating the consumer? No, they aren't. If they had made no changes to the iPhone 5 and done with it what they had done with prior years models, the price would be exactly where it is. Making 2 improvements to the phone, no matter how you and others try to shrug them off as meaningless, is still something they did that added cost to the phones build, yet did not add into the cost of the phone. The plastic body is not some cheap plastic, but a quality one not unlike used in many current flagship phones that sell for a lot more than $99.

Essentially what your complaining about is Apple doing something to allow them to market their product better. Well let me ask you this. Do you have the same animosity to Motorola marketing the Droid Mini? I mean the Droid Mini is nothing more than a stripped down version of the Maxx and Ultra.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008

The camera was made for the 5s, and I'll bet we'll see it in all the rest of the updated iDevices, so the company already had that. Going off the tons of iPhone 5 users reporting decreased battery life in iOS 7, the batteries were probably made bigger to compensate for iOS 7 hogging more juice - it would have looked bad if the 2013 models got worse battery life than the 2012 models on their respective release days, no?

As far as spending money up front on the plastic process, sure, but those $30 rubber cases should help ease that this year. Next year, using plastic over metal is all money in the bank. I mean, you think they didn't spend money on special processes and coatings for the metal cases? C'mon.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008

See the previous reply on the camera/battery/case.

The Droid Mini is a smaller version of the Maxx/Ultra (hence "Mini"), not last year's Maxx/Ultra constructed with cheaper materials. Not the same situation at all.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Been saying this since the release note. It's their way of rebranding the iphone5 as a "new" device whilst saving money on the hardware (i.e. the aluminum chassis). No doubt people will still flock to get the 5c without for a second thinking that they would have gotten a superior version (i.e., the standard aluminum chassis vs. the cheaper plastic one) for the same price each and every year prior.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care if a phone does have a plastic chassis, but I wonder about the lingering effects of this move; Apple is no longer seen as the "premium" hardware supplier. While the margins on the 5c will be higher than selling the 5 at an otherwise similar point in time, I wonder how the perception of this move will be seen in the eyes of investors and analysts--because, sadly, that's the biggest factor in the share price.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Tbh, I prefer the polycarbonate (assuming it's like Nokia's and the color runs through the material), to the painted aluminium which rubs / chips off easy (not to trumpet Nokia too much, but I still have an E7 which has flawless aluminium coating). Polycarbonate is largely a better material for mobile devices (needs to be a little thicker to get the same sturdiness as aluminium though).

Apple is brilliant, as much as I hate them, esp in marketing. Imagine, using cheaper materials while maintaining the price, more margin. And either apple's marketing ability, fans will still buy them.
And this makes the non-c even more premium, social status anyone?

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

It's cheap for an apple product. For sane people, yes, it's expensive.....

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

I say! That's quite unfair! Wikipedia tells me that the Titanic took at least 2 hours and 40 minutes to sink....

flong777

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Wow - you come across just like one of snotty Android owners. It is just a shame that you wrote an article to parrot their negative comments.

Apple has made no secret that the 5c is very similar to the iPhone 5, but it is not the same. The 5c does have some improvements. Now pricewise, you say that $100 is too much. Hmmmm, the iPhone 5 is still one of the best phones on the market and the 5c has several improvements and $100 is too much????

Apple offers a colorful phone and the article stoops to smartass remarks about "Shriners," that is just sad.

Really you should take this teenage review and throw it in the toilet where it belongs. I realize this is "opinion" but really, shouldn't you have someone older than 13 write your articles?

vertexx

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
Instead do doing an opinion/rant, wouldn't it be more effective to do a proper product review that draws the same conclusion through your standard performance/quality/value analysis? I tend to agree with the point in this article. But the true indicator will be market acceptance or not.

flong777

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

Excellent point - that is what "professional" websites do instead of making juvenile cracks about "shriners."

flong777

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

What is very clear is that you and several Tom's Hardware article writers have not taken the time to read the professional reviews on the 5c and 5s Iphones. Several professional reviews complement the battery life and you know what, they actually have used the phone. A couple do complain about it, but that complaint extends to all other smart phones except the Moto X.

The iPhone 5 battery life and the 5s can easily last a working day, even with heavy use. The 5s also competes well with all top smart phones except the Moto X which blows everybody away.

So your comments are simply ignorant and so are you.

flong777

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

Hmmmm, I own the Iphone 5 and so I am not speaking from stupid ignorance like you. I have real-world experience with the phone. The iPhone 5 is the best smart phone I have ever owned by far. It is exceptionally fast, its camera and video capabilities are amazing and most importantly, it doesn't break down or freeze up every 10 minutes like some non-IOS phones. I have yet to scratch the screen and I did not even bother to get a case. It has what is probably the top rated screen in the smart phone industry with the biggest sole complaint being it is not a 5" display. It has an IPS screen and has the most accurate color in the business. The camera and video both have excellent low-light capability. The iPhone 5 is also one of the fastest phones on the market right now and it is over a year old.

The 5c is a slightly improved version of the iPhone 5, and it only costs $100. That price will probably go down. So tell me again, why is the 5c such a bad choice for a consumer? And BTW, Apple has not made it any secret that the 5c is nearly the same as the iPhone 5 - so where is the deception or "false" sales pitch? Answer, there isn't any!

flong777

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

Actually try to read an iPhone 5s review before you comment, then you just might have something intelligent to say. I recommend Anandtech's review.

BTW I am no fan of AT&T but they just won JD Powers award for best cell phone service and so you are behind in this area also.

flong777

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

Hey rocket scientist, the phone is still one of the best smart phones available and it costs a $100. Just how is this "fleecing" anyone? So many people commenting in this thread have never even used an iPhone 5 and are really just making ignorant bigoted remarks like you. Really, it is just sad.

flong777

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

The price will drop further and the 5c will be offered free with a two year contract and Apple will sell millions of them. People who could not afford an iPhone before will get what is still one of the best smart phones on the market. So who is the loser here? Where is the deception or ill will from Apple? Even now with a contract, the phone is only $100 which makes it the cheapest NEW iphone ever, and the 5c is slightly improved over the 5s. So again, tell me how this phone is "overpriced."

flong777

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

Where is the "BS" from Apple, they very honestly tell you it is a slightly better version of the iPhone 5 and is priced at only $100. Just how is that dishonest?
Samsung sells all sorts of cheap phones that aren't worth a damn and no one accuses them of "BS." Yet the iPhone 5c is one of the highest quality, fastest smart phones on the market. Again how is Apple cheating anyone?
BTW, I am betting that the 5c price will go down in a few months and a lot of people who have wanted an iPhone but could not afford it have a chance to get one of the best phones in the business. Who is the loser here?
I just don't get negative people like you.

flong777

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

Exactly how did Apple "obfuscate" concerning the 5c? They have clearly told EVERYONE in the world it is a slightly improved iPhone 5 at a killer price ($100) and this price will probably go down. The iPhone 5 is still one of the best phones on the market and it competes very well with the S4, the Z1 and the Moto X and it is just $100 bucks. Exactly what is Apple's great "lie" here?

Wow some people just live to criticize and be negative.

rb420

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

If you aren't sure what the criticism is, go back and read the article again. If you still don't get it, go out and buy an iphone 5c, come home and ask siri to explain it to you. Idiot.

I don't care how much you love Apple but I have found some of your comments a bit insulting to the author and further insults will result in a perma ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.