Opinion: Should Microsoft Risk Windows 8 on Touch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daekar

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
This is the wrong direction to take with Windows as a whole. Touch screen devices lack the true utility that most PC users need in their machines. You simply can't replace a keyboard and mouse with a touchscreen, no matter how good the GUI is - the tactile feedback is critical for rapid precision and productivity!

You'd think with the forecast market saturation for tablets, everybody would know that the PC market won't be replaced by content-consumption devices. The world still needs to work, and work takes a keyboard/mouse.

When businesses start giving their secretaries and engineers touch-screen tablets instead of keyboard/mouse workstations, then I'll believe otherwise.

A PC is a commodity like a washer/dryer now, not a toy. Market saturation for toys is reached more easily, and tablets fall into that category for most people.

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Microsoft's decision to focus the new Windows 8 primarily on touch input is one gutsy move.
Apple has been given a lot of glory for being the first to release their iphone/ipad innovatations.

I don't see anything wrong with MS, for once, being the first to take a risk like this. At least no one can say they copied this from a MAC O/S.

Cell phones got a make-over thanks to the iphone. Why can't Windows get a make-over too?

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Another point is that some programs simply don't work well with touch. Video editing, coding, writing papers, 3D modeling, other content creation, spreadsheets, any high productivity programs really.

The major problems with touch is that it is not fast where a keyboard is and not accurate where both keyboards and mice are. Touch's only good point that I can see is that it can be faster than a mouse so long as you don't need to be precise with where you are clicking

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
The easiest solution to this is the one most analyst's seem unable to Kinect.

Developing the software to integrate touch gestures into the OS is the beginning of Minority Report style computing. All we need now is a Hologram projector, and a device that can sense our movement and send the computer instructions based on that movement.

Microsoft has already created the SDK for Kinect, and they are adding touch into their next gen operating systems. It wouldn't be difficult to correlate gestures with Kinect to touch gestures. This is the next revolutionary leap I see in home computing.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Wow... Toms slaughtered my links.... Pelase vote that ugly crap down, here it is again without any links...

The easiest solution to this is the one most analyst's seem unable to Kinect.

Developing the software to integrate touch gestures into the OS is the beginning of Minority Report style computing. All we need now is a Hologram projector, and a device that can sense our movement and send the computer instructions based on that movement.

Microsoft has already created the SDK for Kinect, and they are adding touch into their next gen operating systems. It wouldn't be difficult to correlate gestures with Kinect to touch gestures. This is the next revolutionary leap I see in home computing.

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I seem to be one of the few that has actually put Windows 8 on a tablet PC. And I can say, it works pretty well and is rather fast. Great improvement over touch in Windows 7.

Just need the ability for administrators like me to customize the tile layout or EASILY...(keyword there) disable it entirely.

Also, what most newbs around here fail to realize...is the OTHER things coming with Windows 8. They are too focused on the touch interface.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
This is a design 101 failure on microsofts part. When you have different products, market them under different brands. What we are going to get is a single dvd (or more preferably a digital download) with all of the backend for either a desktop OS or a tablet OS on it and all the extra space consumption that comes with putting both of those on a single device.

They should have made Windows Touch and Windows Classic, not try to mash them together into an amalgam of confusion like what happened with all the versions of Vista.

The strangest thing is that trying to go so touch heavy seems to be the thing MS would not want to have happen - they have have a HUGE keyboard and mouse business and they don't manufacture lcd screens (and thus, they don't make touch screens) so they are effectively trying to kill one arm of their own company? (this is what happens when you have a huge tech giant monopoly that makes conflicting products).

The fact they had windows mobile, even if the OS sucked, was the right direction to go. They needed windows phone, windows touch, windows home user, windows business user, and windows server. 5 different operating systems for 5 very different purposes. Windows 8s prospects are looking bleak - I better be able to just install a version of windows 8 that is basically Windows 7.5, same UI, with optimizations, some of those new features for file transfers and such, support for directx 12 (if they plan on bringing that out with windows 8 and not making it backwards compatible) and none of the metro crap that is about as useful on a desktop as the OS Lion app store on a desktop.

Even better, this is just an example of corporate desire vs consumer desire - they want to make a one size fits all product so they don't have to have 5 dev teams and all the headache that comes from making different products compatible when they could just sell one middle of the way one that does everything. Too bad that is going to crash and burn next year as bad as Windows Phone has been failing.

G

Honestly who has a touch screen desktop? No one.. This is absolutely useless to anyone who uses a computer everyday or any kinda of serious professional. Its going to fail horribly unless they make it so you can 100% disable metro UI on desktop. I have zero interest in "live tiles" and all that garbage... It may be fine for tablets for facebook and angry birds, but useless to about 95% of desktop users. No one is going to run out and buy a touch screen monitor.. Only good thing about windows 8 ive seen so far is it has less of a footprint and they FINALLY have added a task bar for each additional monitor!!!

70camaross396

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
I think they are headed in the right direction for tablets. I have a window 7 phone and I love it. it is much better that an iPhone. It would be fantastic on a tablet like the XOOM, Galaxy Tab, or even an HP touchpad. For a table device that lets you stream media, or browse the web, or read a book, Windows 8 is perfect.

However, I am a little concerned about the new interface on a laptop or desktop PC. I have been testing the windows 8 preview, and i can say now that i would much rather have the windows 7 interface on a laptop/desktop PC. when I need to get real work done, you cant beat the good old fasioned keyboard and mouse. so they definatly need a way to turn touch on and off or give us a "Classic Interface" like they did with XP.

G

Microsoft is nuts.

If they want to create a tablet UI, have at it. But trying to force a tablet UI onto the desktop is stupid, just like trying to force a desktop ui onto a tablet. They are completely different. One is targeting productivity and one is targeting consumption. Touch sucks for productivity.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
There'd BETTER be an option button selection laid out for idiots:

I have a touch screen and want to take full advantage of the new Touch features in Windows 8
I have a touch screen but want my computer to start on the Desktop
I do not have a touch screen. (Selecting this option will remove these unnecessary features from Windows, thus may increase performance)
Damn I'd better patent that. LOL

by providing the simple option to turn the MetroUI on and off, Microsoft is not risking anything. I believe this is the correct solution because end users can implement any features they want based on the hardware they're installing this on. The title is an exercise in exaggeration.
And, of course, this author could not resist making another company (Apple, of course), an exemplary "teacher" that everyone has to strive to follow. I start to honestly believe that, because MSFT is the first to come up with a unifying solution ( that is also based on a successful platform), Gruener is...green with envy.
Just read through his articles, or even better, read the titles. Truth is, Win 8 is coming and there is nothing Gruener or his like-minded minions can do about it.

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I remember when the movie, "Minority Report", starring Tom Cruise was released. Everyone thought the transparent touch screens were the coolest. The perception was that’s where we'll be sometime down the road. And no one could wait to see it, let alone use it.
Typically, people don’t like change. I’ve seen this many times working in IT and I think fear promotes negative comments. Right or wrong, Windows8 is not even out of Beta yet and already we are making assumptions.
Who knows where touchscreen technology takes us…

smfrazz

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ravewulf[/nom]Another point is that some programs simply don't work well with touch. Video editing, coding, writing papers, 3D modeling, other content creation, spreadsheets, any high productivity programs really.The major problems with touch is that it is not fast where a keyboard is and not accurate where both keyboards and mice are. Touch's only good point that I can see is that it can be faster than a mouse so long as you don't need to be precise with where you are clicking[/citation]

It's not a valid point because WINDOWS 8 DOESN'T REQUIRE or FORCE you to use TOUCH. It's there if your device supports it!!! Can you people read?

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
This is a bizarre question; from the looks of it Windows 8 supports both touch and a Windows 7 style UI for keyboard/mouse. Yes, it's not a huge jump from Windows 7 if you're not using the Metro UI, but that's irrelevant since the vast majority of Windows licenses are sold with new PCs, not users upgrading themselves.

What are Microsoft supposed to do exactly, just sit twiddling their thumbs while Apple and Google have have the entire tablet market to themselves? People keep missing the point with Windows 8, it's not a traditional update meant to run on the same sort of machines are it's always done, it's targeting a new form factor by extending and capitalising on their existing OS rather than releasing an entirely new one, which makes perfect sense considering the overwhelming success of Windows and the failures of every other OS they've released (Windows Mobile, Windows Phone 7).

ZEPd3Z

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
dalethepcman +1
kinect?... the hardware's already there, and its "theirs", some mouse (Razer,Cyborg R.A.T.s) are more expensive than Kinects, the mouse weren't always there in the PC's Development this kinect thing could be their mouse.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
I think MS is going in the right direction for the future of their BRAND and computers. Windows itself is becoming less and less important. With web-based MS-Office, it means anyone with any computer can use MS-Office. So for consumers... who needs Windows? Games? Nope, get a console. Far more AAA games on consoles than desktops.

Metro's future is to chunk the WIn32.api It'll streamline the MS-Operating system.

But, MS MUST **MUST** make metro work correctly with mice and keyboards. The scroll wheel Must make the UI slide left to right. Quick access to a Windows Desktop... they'll do okay.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
This is the right move for M$ to take. As long as they keep traditional support as well as add the new touch support, this should be win/win all around. Now if they dropped mouse/keyboard support, or compromised it to get touch to work, then they are making a huge mistake.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
What about gaming? I'd rather use a controller or a keyboard/mouse any day. A RPG you can get away with, but is it possible to make an FPS without a controller of some type? Just can't see myself shooting with fingers getting in the way.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Developing the software to integrate touch gestures into the OS is the beginning of Minority Report style computing.[/citation]

Why would anybody want to work by waving arms around? Also, what if you just have to watch something? You have to be completely still.

Nah, that Minority Report stuff looks cool but no professional would want to spend hours every day flapping their arms around - you get tired very quickly.

In some of the interviews I've read, this new UI is not mandatory. You can simply use a Win 7 interface if you choose. Of course most the reviews aren't focused on that because the new UI is the new and exciting feature, but for us old schoolers, we simply will turn it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.