Opinion: What Microsoft Must Accomplish in IE10

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nikkidpartypooper

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

Hell,you must have one! :pt1cable: I'll give you that quote you said,"Apple doen't keep on adding new things to OSX 10.4 why should Microsoft do the same for XP." :lol: You seem to know something about Apple's Mac PC or are you just spewing out anything that you think will work. :lol:

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

You've got that right! You've got that so right,nikkidpartypooper. :lol: 11796pcs must be trying to fool us all. :lol: My XP ain't so slow in the browser at all & that is what I'm using on this forum at the moment. :) In fact my browser is faster than my mates vista's browser & my other pc has got windows 7 installed onto it & my xp's browser is still faster. :sol:

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
In fact I've got another pc for internet banking & going to eBay also,which I have Vista Utimate SP1 installed onto & also dual booted with a retail boxed copy of XP Pro SP2,updated to SP3. I've been to eBay with each of my dual boot partitions & windows XP out does it by far when I bid on items & also when I flick through eBay's pages.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
You have got to give MS respect for continuing to support a now decade plus OS considering the rate of progress in software. As a matter of fact they are going to continue to support Windows XP until 2014!!!

Yes that is minimal support only security related BUT who else does this in a for profit business?

Just for that loyality alone I will be buying more MS products. These guys at MS DO care about the customer!

I know everybody loves to vilify MS and Windows OS but compared to the other for profit competition (like crApple) who would you rather put your trust in?

Most importantly MS takes security seriously and isn't afraid to confront their customers with important security, information, enhancements, a GREAT FREE security suite that works seamlessly and doesn't hog resources...and if you need it FREE assistance by phone with malware and virus infections....

Does crApple do that? Heck no, they just tell you not to worry...HAHA!

Very good observations by Wolfgang.

It did indeed look like Microsoft just didn't care about Internet Explorer any longer up until IE8. They had 6 years to note (by then) IE's decline in the marketplace.

But IE9 really turned that notion upside down, at least for me. It was good to see Microsoft actually caring about their next generation browser. It was good to see Microsoft caring about rectifying their old ways. IE9 was what IE8 and IE7 should have been.

As for what I'd like to see in IE10, there are few critical features I can think of:
1. Robust session recovery. Like Chrome/Firefox. Enough said.
2. Saving location reset issue. Once in a while the last-used location after CTRL+S defaults to a library. Irritating.
3. Smoother tab actions. Opening a new tab feels heavy at times.
4. Better extensions management. As of now, it isn't possible to uninstall addons that some program installed for you.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Being a software engineer, IE is unfortunately NOT where it's "at". There are just too many other browsers around these days that no developer can nor should predict that IE will be dominant nor even last a long time. I use Silverlight 4 and soon to be Silverlight 5 along with WCF to do my front ends ... why? Well that's easy, but Silverlight is cross-platform and is basically just a browser plug-in. How to cover my bases and yet NOT be dependant on the OS or Browser.

Really, the Microsofot fanboyism I see here at Tom's is really silly, Microsoft are no long in a position to leverage their browser or OS ... just a reality of the changing times.

What MS products are you buy? They chopped game development, OpenOffice is free ... so I'm curious, what exactly are you buying from MS other than maybe their OS?

As for XP vs. Vista vs. Windows 7 ... ummm... XP actually has less bugs that Vista, and considerably less than Windows 7. I mean seriously? XP has been around a long time and has many years of bug fixes applied. It's still vulnerable to bad drivers, but so is Windows 7 and Vista.

Apple have financially stomped on Microsoft, in every sense of the word. The question now is can Microsoft survive? Without innovation and risk taking, I'm gonna guess not ... Windows 8 NEEDs to be radically different, and I hope they drop all those compatibility layers which is what drags down XP, Vista, and Windows 7.

It's really funny but I never seemed to have opened the IE browser. I must have installed OS's on at least 10,000 systems and have always made it a point to never have IE in them, always Firefox. Though I would like to know what did they (MS) actually do right, after all these years of bad experiences with IE, they really ought to be really good at making a new browser if they'd worked on the feedback they got from customers.

G

Fast backward / forward.
A real damn good built-in download manager.

These two are the minimum things I can remember from last time I've used IE.
But to me more Security is important and on top of everything else.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Hi alyoshka :hello: . In my past XP Pro that had a single core only,I used both IE & Firefox regularly & even for several months I used opera also with the other two being on there also. ;) Yes that is right,I had all three of them at one time. :lol: Even with a single core pc only,I had all three opened up onto the internet at the same time. ;) Now for some reason,I just stick to one browser at a time on each of my computers that are online (one browser per pc only). I've got three in total that I have online. :) One for forums,general surfing (XP Pro,IE8 only),one for internet banking & eBay (dual boot with XP Pro,IE8 & Vista Ultimate,IE9),last but not least,one for online gaming (dual boot with both XP Home,Firefox & Windows 7,IE9). I have not used Googles chrome yet,although I was considering using it. Maybe I should use it soon on my eBay,internet banking pc. :sol:

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Hi once again alyoshka :hello: . I'm back again,I forgot to mention that I do use Mozilla's Firefox more often then I have posted. ;) I just am going through a stage of trying IE for a while & to see how it performs now. :)

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Ahem "Wish I Was Wealthy", we all know that "nikkidpartypooper" is just you signing in with a different account. Please stop it.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]XP? You're still using that out-of-date bug-ridden piece of crap? Microsoft ending IE support for IE9 and future versions of Windows was one of the best choices they made. They shouldn't have to cater to XP. Apple doesn't keep adding new things to OSX 10.4 why should Microsoft do the same for XP. As far as what Microsoft needs to do for IE10- they need to keep focusing on optimizing the browser and returning some of the geeks they once had that used it. I use IE9 even though I know Chrome is better. I do this for a few reasons:1) I don't trust Google2) Microsoft showed with IE9 that it cared about making a solid browser and since this type of want to make a great product seems to be running a bit scarce at Microsoft nowadays I feel that I need to support any glimmers of hope3) I'm just too lazy to install another browser, besides I don't care that my pages will load up 2ms faster4) IE is now the underdog believe it or not and rooting for the underdog is always good to try to increase competition[/citation]

The underdog are the standards being broken because IE does not follow them. That are the actual underdogs. IE is not the underdog here, even if it's loosing it's not the actual underdog.

rb420

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
On my Desktop my browser use is as follows:

I use Firefox/nightly(64 bit) 90% of the time.

My wife uses Chrome 90% of the time.

The other 10% used to go to opera, but after this latest installation of windows rather than uninstall IE, I left it on, updated to IE9 and use it for that other 10%

I have a fairly powerful home-built PC and a 50Mbps internet connection. To be honest, I see very, very minimal differences in speeds in each of the browsers, other than firefox taking slightly longer to load initially.

One of the biggest differences I notice when browsing is Flash/Java. Nightly (firefox 64bit) DESTROYS the other browsers in terms of loading flash and Java based sites. One of the best examples would be to go to google maps, satellite view and zooming in and out quickly. With Nightly, it is just soo much smoother and fluid than its 32 bit counterpart.

Now on to IE, the 64bit version is so unstable compared to the 32bit one, it is unusable at times. There is no (easy) way to make 64bit the default browser. Sometimes it just hangs while loading pages, etc.

So what I would really, really like from IE10 is better 64bit support. Hell, if you aren't releasing it for XP, why even bother with a 32 bit version anymore? let IE9 serve those still stuck in 32bit land.

G

WebGL is prone to security issues. I'd rather see them go the DirectX way.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
I actually don't mind using IE9, except for how sluggish it is on my system. Mozilla and Chrome just get things done faster. I mostly use IE9 when NoScript on Mozilla is being a pain, and it's a website I trust.

IE9, to me, is actually good enough. It's just the other two load web pages to where it feels like it takes at least 50% of the time to load.

iceman1992

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I was forced to downgrade to IE8 because a web app I need to use wouldn't run on IE9. And it wouldn't run on chrome or firefox either. That is one thing Microsoft should work on to gain market share of IE9 and get rid of IE6

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Wish I Was Wealthy[/nom]You've got that right! You've got that so right,nikkidpartypooper. 11796pcs must be trying to fool us all. My XP ain't so slow in the browser at all & that is what I'm using on this forum at the moment. In fact my browser is faster than my mates vista's browser & my other pc has got windows 7 installed onto it & my xp's browser is still faster.[/citation]

LOL @ using two accounts to try to back yourself up. I agree with the other guy, XP is old, people should get with the times. I'm normally someone who hates changing OS's, but in this case, it's about time...

This isn't for me, but IE 10 MUST support facebook games better than IE 9! I don't use facebook games, but my wife does and any time she upgrades from IE8 to IE9 I hear about it. This simply is a nono as far as I'm concerned. I know part of the issue is Zynga themselves, but c'mon man!

rb420

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

I already gave you a reason, the 64 bit versions of flash and Java are much quicker. Reading comprehension fail.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
If MS wants me to start using IE9 regularly, then ditch that stupid constant popup at the bottom of the page. It drives me nuts.

Or maybe I'm not Googling it right. I've tried searches for how to turn it off and can't find a way. Any suggestions, IE 9 fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.