Opinion: Why Microsoft’s Windows 8 App Store May Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoneyVirus

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Xbox should be left on the consoles look what happen to cross play with Shadowrun when it came to Keyboard Vs Controller that failed big time. Thumbs up for anyone that's going to be disabling the Metro UI after the learn whats new in Windows 8, especially for people that don't have a touch screen.

I see no reason at all to have that ugly interface on the system, if this keeps up your best bet would be to go back in the Command Prompt. Life is so much easier working in the Command Prompt well at lease for me anyway. Xmas

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Was the download.com comment sarcasm? It was probably on this site where I read that CNET was caught offering misleading downloads to try to trick users into installing junk that they don't want without the developers' knowledge.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Metro has to stay with Tablets and Windows Phone. Dear Microsoft, a PC is not Tablet. Metro will drive people away from Windows and MS is going to learn hard lesson this time, it will have greater impact than Windows Vista failure. I tried Metro and on Desktop machine it is unusable. Using keyboard and mouse is insanely non functional. If you want to get an idea try Zune ->horrible and that explains why it failed. I was very surprised by MS move on Metro, even they Windows Phone is not doing well.
I am afraid that in some way Metro will be intrusive and necessary to run some basic tasks like Search. Unfortunately all the good changes in Windows 8 such as improvements in File System, Backup etc will be shadowed by new UI. I like changes and i am not stuck on old interface but when is something bad (Metro) it is really bad. If you see Pre-Beta screenshots (Most likely Final) you get big ass tile with Windows Explorer Icon on it and text. What a waste of Desktop space, and it is so intrusive. I said 10 years ago that MS needs to fire their complete design team along with managers.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
If they really want to get Windows Store, fine. They need to follow Steam idea. Steam is the biggest success on PC, i would say bigger than Windows 7 itself! I also see that some form of XBOX live will get involved with PC. Dear Microsoft, a PC is not Console. Please stop mixing oranges and apples.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
If i was MS CEO, i would kill Metro project as there is still time. Revert Windows 8 interface back to Windows 7 interface and i guess keep Ribbon Feature (still needs to be polished) to make UI consistent and do some UI tweaks here and there Windows 7 was lacking. Bring all the kernel changes and features from Windows 8. And ship the product, i bet it would succeed a big time. After it goes RTM fire whole design team with Managers and hire some smart people out there, people who are in UI Business for decades.

jad023

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
Microsoft does not bring up HTML5 because developers don't want it. When microsoft mentions HTML5 THEY LOSE DEVELOPER INTEREST. Its like a bad word to us. So they keep mum because they under estimated the negative feedback from their developer community. They still are not sure if developers are going to show up for Windows 8 to build apps. There is a bigger story here. If it fails Windows 8 goes away, but so does the HTML5 stuff. I am personally willing to sacrifice it. Check out what Microsoft developers are saying about the HTML5 direction. You will soon see its some scary stuff.

G

So many things wrong in this FUD article. All windows store apps will support mouse and keyboard. Why would desktop and laptop users not use the app store to get the latest and greatest software for Windows. CNET will not be able to offer winrt apps for download. And download.com is a cesspool of crapware and anti-malware software. It will not be competitive it representative of what you find on Windows app store. Anyone who thinks Microsoft will have trouble attracting developers to the official Windows 8 app store is a moron. Even Windows Phone which has no market share right now is the fastest growing app store in history. Windows has the largest stable of developers in the world and will quickly have the largest install base in the world. It will probably take Windows 8 less than 8 months to surpass the iPad install base.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Another thing about Windows Store, I think paying Valve to build Windows Store (Steam Concept) for Windows would be even better option. Why reinvent the wheel when there are people and companies who are doing perfect job in it namely Valve. I bet it would be much more cost effective than trying to figure out Windows Store using Metro.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
@dhdhdh

We know that mouse and keyboard is supported but it doesn't make it any better. Speaking of Windows 7 Phone, it doesn't have Market Share and it won't have Market Share because people don't like its interface, some hate it with passion.

G

Simple, They need someone like Steve Jobs to do things on the roll.

mattstone

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
Windows Phone market share has nothing to do with the interface. Every review of Windows Phone I've ever seen has spoken with high praise of the interface and people who have the phones say they get complements from strangers all the time. The point anyway was that Microsoft has no trouble attracting developers to it's platform even when there is limited market share, so Windows 8 which will have massive market share certainly won't have problems attracting developers to the platform.

mattstone

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
I'll give this article credit for one thing. They qualified the headline with "may fail." Sure there is a remote possibility of anything. If you're a betting man and you're counting on Windows to fail and an app store that is built into the desktop to fail because of CNET's offerings at some website then just wow.

Keep in mind that even Vista which was one of the worst selling Windows in recent years sold many more copies than iOS has. Perspective seems to be lost here. Microsoft on a bad day has a bigger reach than Apple at it's zenith. Windows 8's app store is going to overtake everything on the market in a matter of months, not years. People don't seem to be able to comprehend the volume of Windows PCs sales and the importance of having an app store pre-installed on the desktop of every computer manufactured in the world.

Another thing lost at a techy geek site like this: Windows 8 metro/touch friendly interface has far more mainstream appeal than any version of Windows before it. But beyond that the type of apps that are going to propel Windows 8 into the mainstream are casual/mainstream fare like Angry Birds. It's not just about Photoshop and IE anymore guys. Look at what Kinect did for Xbox 360 sales, it's instructive to what can happen when a company that has already conquered a segment of the market suddenly opens it up to a new audience.

jad023

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
Matt on this one I think you may be wrong. Here is why. Windows Phone was a trial. Kind of like we know Microsoft is big so we better go with our logical choice. Lets build an App for Windows Phone and see how it does. It also help that the tools for windows phone development make all other platforms look like they are 20 years behind. But, Windows Phone did not take off. Microsoft is going to have to sell a large number of Windows 8 licenses before developers jump in. To build for Windows 8 I have to learn a new API, while I have more users on Windows 7 and I can use what I like and am comfortable with. If Windows 7 gets an app store that would have some value to developers. It will be a hard sell non Windows 8

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Microsoft should be focusing more on helping developers to market their apps among potentially tens or hundreds of thousands of apps.

Absolutely correct also the way for Microsoft apps to become entrenched in the Windows community is to mix free Applications with for payment ones and allow lots of user tweekability. The bottom line is that Microsoft has gone from being a hated company to one people tolerate and even support, thanks to Apple and its nefarious defrauding and jailing of its gullible supporters. I mean there was a time when people thought Microsoft was about control and restriction. Now we look at Microsoft as a beacon of freedom by comparison to companies like Apple.

iLLz

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003
In my eyes, the Windows 8 App Store will succeed and in a big way. Once Windows 8 becomes ubiquitous and it commands a large percentage of the market, the sales will be rolling in. Especially on tablets and phones where the metro UI will be prominent. I even think this will work well on the desltop and laptop side of things as well, especially on new purchases, whereas already purchased software will just be installed via previous methods.

Given Widows market share, it can only be a good thing for MS and Developers as there will be such a huge install base to work with.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Ah yes, M$ has the me2Store now.
It seems that even with 90,000 brains on their pay role they can not come up with anything original.

unionoob

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
people can bash MS app store, but to be honest I would preffer to use it over googleing and hopeing I don't an virus or trojan, it would be even easier to get apps I need and some small developers which actually make good soft could get some cash.. I see more ++ then --

"Apps" are for toys. "Applications" are programs that serve useful purposes, like MS Office (or Open Office, or any other productivity package). I don't think Microsoft needs a toy store to serve its target market for Windows devices: businesses that have the money to buy the tools to get jobs done; I don't think they need to worry about selling toys to Junior to impress his little friends for a week or two before they're forgotten.

G

What kind of tech journalist in almost 2012 still refers to Windows PHONE as Windows Mobile? This was a decent article with good perception, however you've completely ruined you're credibility with anything Windows related when you don't even know the proper name of the software you're reviewing!

unionoob

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Really, what's the point of an "Appstore" or something like it for a PC? Aren't they meant for more of a "mobile experience" ?[/citation]

Well, depends what you understand as apps, those apps what we are using on phones we clearly don't need on PC, but on app store you could get softs like CPU-Z, Afterburner, Open Office and other popular softs without looking in google and DLing it from 3rd party web sites which might be infected with some random crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.