Opinions and suggestions on planned new single gpu M-ITX system.

Bergeton

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014
Hi!

I'm planning a new rig and I was wondering if perhaps you knowledgable folks here on Tom's Hardware would like to give me your two cents on my setup.

Before we go any further I must tell you that the last time i built a computer Riva TNT and 3DFX Voodoo were the shit. So, if I seem like a bit of an out of touch dimwit it's beacause I am just that.

I hope you can give me some opinions and feedback on my choise of components.
Especially with regards to heat managment and noise. I really want it to be as quiet and cool and affordable as possible.

I also hope you can give me a subjective opinion on the whole setup.
-Is it powefull, will it stay "competitive" for some years, what would you have done instead, things like that.
Because to my eyes this looks pretty good; powefull enough to run modern games well for the foreseable future; small and neat; pretty and slightly discreet (in my eyes).

I wanted to adhere to the forum guidelinces and "stickies" I could find, so I used the template from this post
The links to component details are all from newegg.com except one that I couldn't find there, but I mostly plan on purchasing all components from Norwegian retailers, shipping and other import costs would make the system too expensive.

Okay! Let me show you what I'm planning!

Approximate Purchase Date:
Within the next 3 months

Budget Range:
Around $1400 (8500 NOK)

System Usage from Most to Least Important:
Couch gaming, "office" gaming, home computer, office work with GIS.

Buying a monitor:
Yes

Parts to Upgrade:
Tower: BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ITX (white)

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-H97N

CPU: Core i5-4460

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX970 4GB

PSU: CoolerMaster B600

Cooling: 2x Corsair SP120 PWN Quiet Edition

RAM: Crucial DDR BallistiX Sport 1600 MHz 2x4GB

Storage: Kingston SSDNow v300 120GB + Seagate Barracuda HDD 1TB

Do you need to buy OS:
No

Preferred Website for Parts:
www.komplett.no (Norwegian retailer, import costs too high for international purchase)

Parts Preferences:
None

Plan on overclocking:
No

SLI or Crossfire:
No

Monitor Resolution:
1920x1080

Additional Comments:
I really want to keep it quiet and efficient with regards to heat managment.

Thank you for reading! :)

EDIT: here is a link to my shopping cart on my chosen norwegian retailer for those who are interested, the text is in Norwegian but you should be able to make out the components and their specs if you want to
https://www.komplett.no/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=1446829&su=B2C91F46-E822-4EC1-9BBE-2688A21D03C4

Pr3di

Honorable
It looks like a decent build, especially with that 970 in there.
However, I know nothing about the PSU, and I cannot guarantee if it`s a good one, especially since I don`t see any 80+ Bronze or any other certification.

Most of the parts can be improved, but that usually comes with a cost, and most likely over your budget.

Can you check the Silverstone SG10 case if it`s available? It`s a mATX case, with a lot more room for most of the parts and coolers, great ventilation, and it`s actually smaller than the mITX Prodigy.

Other than that, check if you can go for a Samsunt 840 Evo or Seasonic M500 SSD, which are better than the V300. I have the same V300 you have in your list, but I got it because it was cheaper, however, I am very satisfied with it either way.

Edit: I`m not sure if this is refurbished or not, but could you go with this CPU and get a cheaper CPU cooler, since it`s not included in the CPU box?
https://www.komplett.no/intel-core-i5-4690k-demo/825001

Rammy

Honorable
Yeah it's basically fine.
The PSU could do with a swap to something better. Komplett sell XFX Core 550s for around the same price which would be good for a straight swap. There will be others though.

I'm also not sure what the SP fans are for. These are basically radiator/heatsink fans, not case fans, and they aren't terribly suited to a Prodigy. If you want to maximise airflow you want a decent 120/140 at the back and a decent 140/200/230 at the front. Keep in mind that especially with the larger fans you'll need some form of control on the fans (motherboard or otherwise) or else they will definitely be noisy. If you wanted to stick with Corsair fans, a pair of AF140s (one for the front+ one for the back) would do the trick.

Bergeton

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014

Thanks for the tip about the SilverStone SG10!
I sort of locked myself to Mini ITX mobos because they were the only ones I could find on komplett.no with built in wifi.
-I plan on moving the machine about, and I don't do much, hardly any, online gaming except the odd bout in World of Tanks.
I got quite fascinated with this though: Silverstone Sugo SG08. It comes with a PSU and looks quite compact.

There is a fan included with the i5 4460, so I think I'll go for it.

EDIT:
The Coolermaster B600 should be 80 bronze certified, as far as I've seen.

EDIT 2:
Newegg link to Sugo SG08:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163187&cm_re=sugo_sg08-_-11-163-187-_-Product

Bergeton

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014

This was very helpful!
I had a chat with a consultant from komplett.no (my chosen retailer) and he recommended that I stick those two 120mm fans in there for cooling. -at the top.
But now I'll definitely look into your solution instead.

This might sound stupendously stupid but I assume the motherboard supports and controls two 140mm fans, so I shouldn't have to worry about speed and noise?

EDIT:
I was a little worried that 550 watts wouldn't be enough, but if you think 550 covers this setup I think I'll take you up on that to.

Rammy

Honorable
Most low-mid range ITX boards only provide two fan headers, one for the CPU and one for the case. You can potentially run a splitter from the system fan header and run two fans from here, controlling them both from the motherboard.

I'm assuming that the komplett guy is suggesting you use those fans in the top section in addition to the two stock fans that come with the Prodigy case. This is a poor choice for several reasons.
Firstly, 4 fans is more than you need and really hard to control - you'll likely end up with them at full speed, even a Maximus Impact (basically the king of ITX boards, only has 3 system fan headers).
Secondly, the fans are unsuited to the task. As I mentioned, SP fans are "static pressure" focused, aimed at radiators/heatsinks, not case ventilation.
Thirdly, by not replacing the stock fan (especially at the front) you will actually have worse airflow with 4 fans than you would have with two good ones in decent locations.
Finally - fans in the roof of a Prodigy are of questionable merit. I've tested this myself a bit and while my results are hardly conclusive (it's just me messing around) I get near to zero change in temps for any components with fans in the roof. I think this is because of the motherboard orientation. On a standard tower with a vertical motherboard fans in the roof pull air across the board and between the fins of any decent heatsink. In a Prodigy they sit much further away from the board and the top fan nearest to the front has the potential to reduce airflow to components rather than increase it.

EDIT - 550W is far more than you need for your build. You could run it on 450W or less, but 550W is a sensible amount and gives you enough connectors for things.
CM B-series 600W has no 80Plus certification.

Bergeton

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014

Thank you very much, this was very educational.
I guess I could use one of these (link) to split the system fan header?

This should allow me to create a nice airflow from the front out through the back with two fans, right?

If you don't mind; what do you think of the cooling possibilities of the SilverStone Sugo SG08?
I was thinking maybe using the stock 180mm fan on the top and combining it with one fan on each side of the cabinet?

Bergeton

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014

Thanks for pointing it out!
With a splitter that should give me some chance of keeping the machine cool and quiet, as I understand it.

Pr3di

Honorable
If it`s anything like mu Sugo SG09, you have a Medium-High switch for the fan speed. FYI - I switched my top fan as an exhaust, but added 3 addetional fans on the side, so now I have 5 active fans on my case, and the PSU in the SG09 gets the cool air from the front, and blows it right back out on the side.

Also, based on this review, I would say that the SG08 is a decent case, and you should be fine with it, as long as you keep in mind the size of it:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6944/silverstone-sugo-sg08-miniitx-case-review/5

Bergeton

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014

Little brainfart:
Is there a slight advantage to using the top fan as an exhaust? Hot air rising and all that?

Pr3di

Honorable
Exactly!
There is a SG09-SG10 (only a facelist from 9 to 10) users, and most of them use the top as an exhaust. However, the SG09 is also a bit bigger, and with more fan space on the sides.

You will need to first to check if this is a posibility for you on the SG08, and if yes, test the temps with the top fan as both intake and exhaust.

Bergeton

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014

Hey, I just read about this little project.
Turning the top fan around to an exhaust proved to reduce gpu and overall system temperature at the cost of a slight increase in cpu temperature.
It's really starting to look like I'll go for an SG08 instead of a Prodigy.

EDIT:
Forgot the damn link http://www.techbuyersguru.com/projectitx3.php