opinions on how to work with acer for a client?

berbes

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2015
i have a client who dropped off a acer laptop that will not charge. they first took it to an ifixit franchise located in the same walmart where they bought the unit. they held it for a week, and installed a new battery. they took it home and it still didn't charge, so they brought it to us. We immediately checked the warranty, and found it expired the day before we got it!! They called Acer, and were told, too bad, out of warranty, even if it was one day out.

Does it help them in dealing with Acer if they already took it to a tech for repair, not even knowing it still had warranty left? Does Walmart or the ifixit counter hold any responsibility to let them know it was under warranty at the time of them dropping it off?

thanks for any ideas, before i try to help them and call acer...or walmart...or ifixit...or...?
berbes

i have a client who dropped off a acer laptop that will not charge. they first took it to an ifixit franchise located in the same walmart where they bought the unit. they held it for a week, and installed a new battery. they took it home and it still didn't charge, so they brought it to us. We immediately checked the warranty, and found it expired the day before we got it!! They called Acer, and were told, too bad, out of warranty, even if it was one day out.

Does it help them in dealing with Acer if they already took it to a tech for repair, not even knowing it still had warranty left? Does Walmart or the ifixit counter hold any responsibility to let them know it was under warranty at the time of them dropping it off?

thanks for any ideas, before i try to help them and call acer...or walmart...or ifixit...or...?
berbes
Unless ifixit and Wallmart are Acer authorized warranty centers they are under no obligation to check warranty status. Although any good technician would attempt to look it up and inform the customer before attempting service of any kind & return it untouched if still covered.

Reactions: helper800