Build Advice Opinions on new build configuration ?

faive123

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
Hi. I'm building a system that hopefully last me for a few years and want the maximum performance available, given the circumstances. I'm not a heavy player, but I do enjoy playing racing games mostly. Currently I game on a 4K OLED 32" monitor but I would eventually try VR and or multiple monitors. My MAIN USE though is photo and video editing, mostly photo edition with Photoshop. I handle large files because my cameras files are quite big (100MB Fuji GFX100II and 60MB Leica M and Q3). Currently my PC can handle it but when doing deblur/focus rendering, removals and enhancements or even browsing the photos the PC get slows or get stucked. My current PC is 3 year old.

I have built the system with PUGET SYSTEMS (it would be my first time with them). I really need a super quiet PC, with my current PC I use Noctua fans. I don't care about RGB lightning or any of kind of custom gaming pc case. The fewer distractions, the better.

What do you think of this configuration and its price? Thank you very much for your opinions and insight. Best regards,

Platform

Intel Core Z790 Mid Tower

Motherboard;
ASUS ProArt Z790-Creator WiFi (Intel Z790 ATX)
CPU; Intel Core i9 14900K 3.2GHz (Up To 6.0GHz Turbo) 24 Core 125W
RAM:128GB DDR5-5600 (4x32GB)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 16GB Open Air IN STOCK
Sound Card: Onboard Realtek S1220A HD Audio
Networking: 10G 2.5G Networking WiFi 6e
Hard Drive: 4TB NVMe PCIe Gen4 M.2 SSD (Peak 7000 MB/s)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 (black)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex VII Gold 1000W (80 PLUS Gold)
CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-U12AP
Additional Cooling: Case Fans PWM Upgrade Kit

PRICE: $5,308.65

Lutfij

Titan
I would avoid Intel for anything until they sort themselves out. In fact you should look into AMD's AM5 platform.

As for your build, what is your budget, where are you located and what is your preferred site for purchase? Perhaps Puget system's can also sort you out with an AM5 build?

Reactions: faive123
Have you priced any of those items individually?

Puget generally builds good stuff, but I'd guess the markup over the retail price of the components is quite high. But maybe you are quite insensitive to price?

Can we assume you have NO intention of building this yourself?

Are you anywhere near a Microcenter?

I rarely see anyone use a separate sound card anymore....maybe you have a highly specific need for that?

What CPU/motherboard/RAM combination is your current PC?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I hope that's not what their charging you for that OUCH!!!!!

Your drives should be split up, OS and programs, download, scratch, and storage.
You can probably skip the scratch drive if your not skilled and just use a download to and edit drive in one drive.

Buying from them your paying roughly double the price.

EDIT list your 3 year old PC parts!

128GB of memory is massive most people never use over 64GB and I really see no use for the thunderbolt or 10G connection.

How much memory do you have now and how much are you actually using. (goes with the above list the parts you have right now)

EDIT AGAIN If their using that cooler they must have the processor gimped a good bit.

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Have you priced any of those items individually?

Puget generally builds good stuff, but I'd guess the markup over the retail price of the components is quite high. But maybe you are quite insensitive to price?

Can we assume you have NO intention of building this yourself?

Are you anywhere near a Microcenter?

I rarely see anyone use a separate sound card anymore....maybe you have a highly specific need for that?

What CPU/motherboard/RAM combination is your current PC?
That's not a sound card it's built in the board.

Reactions: faive123 and Lafong

faive123

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind responses. I live in Costa Rica but can order online in USA. Even though I've had gaming PCs for decades, I've never built one myself and I really don't have the time to dedicate to learn about it. In my country, there are 2 very good vendors that specialize in gaming PCs but I know they won't be as good as PUGET building my PC. I've always had one or two problems that I have quickly fixed when buying PCs in my country, but I rather not repeat the experience again.

I've always used Intel CPUs but these last built was done just after the pandemic and there was still a shortage, so I build an AMD based system. I don't know if it is I'm biased, but I rather go back to Intel CPUs for this new built. The PC I have in my office that uses and Intel CPU have never failed me and from time to time I use to quickly edit some photos and it gets the work done. With my current home PC, which is most "powerful" from time to time I have encountered some weird problems that could be CPU related.

I've read about the problems Intel is having with the i9 14900K. Isn't a solution yet? I guess PUGET SYSTEM knows about the problem and wouldn't build a system knowing it will have the overheating problem, right?

The one thing I know is that I WON'T buy a AMD GPU again and it's why I'm choosing a GEFORCE GPU.

I don't plan to do any kind of overclocking whatsoever. I like my PCs to be as quiet as possible, so that's why my case is a BE QUIET ONE! and I use several NOCTUA fans.

These are the specs of my current system:

Operating System
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 53 °C
Vermeer 7nm Technology
RAM
64,0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 1330MHz (20-19-19-43)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING (AM4) 38 °C
Graphics
PG32UCDM (3840x2160@240Hz)
16368MB ATI AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT (Unknown)
Storage
1907GB XPG SPECTRIX S40G (Unknown (SSD))
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

I have configured in my country's vendor a similar system that PUGET is selling me, and it cost me aprox $500 less than the PUGET but I also would need to pay for PUGET shipping, taxes and and shipping and taxing to my country, that could easily add $500 more!

Is PUGET building the PC a fact that should make it have a better performance and be more stable that if the technicians in my country's vendor build it?

Do you think that with the specs I said in my first post I could gain a notorious improvement on my ADOBE apps and I could game at least at VERY HIGH settings with my 4K monitor? Currently, I can play at 4K at a satisfactory speed (my monitor is 240hz) with settings at MEDIUM and no antialiasing of any type. With my new PC do you think I could play at VERY HIGH settings with all the fancy stuff (antialiasing -if needed- ray tracing et al)?

Thank you very much!! Best regards,

Thank you very much for your kind responses. I live in Costa Rica but can order online in USA. Even though I've had gaming PCs for decades, I've never built one myself and I really don't have the time to dedicate to learn about it. In my country, there are 2 very good vendors that specialize in gaming PCs but I know they won't be as good as PUGET building my PC. I've always had one or two problems that I have quickly fixed when buying PCs in my country, but I rather not repeat the experience again.

I've always used Intel CPUs but these last built was done just after the pandemic and there was still a shortage, so I build an AMD based system. I don't know if it is I'm biased, but I rather go back to Intel CPUs for this new built. The PC I have in my office that uses and Intel CPU have never failed me and from time to time I use to quickly edit some photos and it gets the work done. With my current home PC, which is most "powerful" from time to time I have encountered some weird problems that could be CPU related.

I've read about the problems Intel is having with the i9 14900K. Isn't a solution yet? I guess PUGET SYSTEM knows about the problem and wouldn't build a system knowing it will have the overheating problem, right?

The one thing I know is that I WON'T buy a AMD GPU again and it's why I'm choosing a GEFORCE GPU.

I don't plan to do any kind of overclocking whatsoever. I like my PCs to be as quiet as possible, so that's why my case is a BE QUIET ONE! and I use several NOCTUA fans.

These are the specs of my current system:

Operating System
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 53 °C
Vermeer 7nm Technology
RAM
64,0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 1330MHz (20-19-19-43)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING (AM4) 38 °C
Graphics
PG32UCDM (3840x2160@240Hz)
16368MB ATI AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT (Unknown)
Storage
1907GB XPG SPECTRIX S40G (Unknown (SSD))
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

I have configured in my country's vendor a similar system that PUGET is selling me, and it cost me aprox $500 less than the PUGET but I also would need to pay for PUGET shipping, taxes and and shipping and taxing to my country, that could easily add $500 more!

Is PUGET building the PC a fact that should make it have a better performance and be more stable that if the technicians in my country's vendor build it?

Do you think that with the specs I said in my first post I could gain a notorious improvement on my ADOBE apps and I could game at least at VERY HIGH settings with my 4K monitor? Currently, I can play at 4K at a satisfactory speed (my monitor is 240hz) with settings at MEDIUM and no antialiasing of any type. With my new PC do you think I could play at VERY HIGH settings with all the fancy stuff (antialiasing -if needed- ray tracing et al)?

Thank you very much!! Best regards,
Puget under volts their Intel cpu's so you should be fine.

https://www.techpowerup.com/325443/...h-generation-processors-with-stability-issues