Optane 905p type of memory (SLC/MLC/TLC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2018
i've recently learned about TLC/MLC/TLC and it gave me a better insight about what to look for when buying a new SSD, on the other hand i was disappointed about how its getting worse

my question is:
- does it also apply for Optane 905p PCIe? if it does then what type is it?

i've been looking in Intel website and document but i didn't anything other than that it is has a 10 DWPD

bonus question LOL:
does this also apply to phone storage?
Galaxy S9+?
Note 9 128gb ?
Note 9 512gb ?

Solution
Optane is not a NAND technology. It is a first generation of new solid state storage technology based on bulk resistance change. In it's current form it is most like SLC in terms of bits per cell. I believe it will likely remain that way for at least a couple generations. Future generations I believe will focus on process shrinkage & either die stacking or just adding more layers to the current stack which currently is only 2 layers thick in order to improve data density & drive down price without loosing any real performance. One of Optane's biggest advantages it that it is bit addressable as well as being a write in place technology which means no write amplification which is what in part at least limits NAND longevity.

It would be...

kanewolf

Titan
Even if the number of times a specific cell can be written have gotten worse, the number of cells has gotten so much greater. SLC SSD were 32GB. TLC are 2GB. With wear leveling and write optimizations that have improved, wearing out an SSD is difficult to do, especially in a home environment. Commercial database or some other use case might be different.

Oct 13, 2018

apologize for the late reply

what you are saying is something I've already know since 860 Evo TLC has a TBW of 1200TB which is amazing
still thanks for commenting

the reason i'm posting this thread is to know what kind of hardware i'm buying or i'm planning to buy (i don't like to blind-buying things)

germanium

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Optane is not a NAND technology. It is a first generation of new solid state storage technology based on bulk resistance change. In it's current form it is most like SLC in terms of bits per cell. I believe it will likely remain that way for at least a couple generations. Future generations I believe will focus on process shrinkage & either die stacking or just adding more layers to the current stack which currently is only 2 layers thick in order to improve data density & drive down price without loosing any real performance. One of Optane's biggest advantages it that it is bit addressable as well as being a write in place technology which means no write amplification which is what in part at least limits NAND longevity.

It would be great if Intel would not only step up production but also license the technology out to others.

Also current generation Optane drives do not have on board DRAM caches so the performance you see if window write caching is disable is the true performance of the memory & controller it self whereas with most NAND products having DRAM caches on board give a false impression of real performance of the controller-media write performance. Disable the write caching will cause major performance drops in NAND based setups. I was able to do this on the Samsung 960 Pro & its performance dropped profusely. Disabling windows write caching appeared to also disable the on board DRAM caching on the 960 Pro as performance dropped to the level of a standard HDD. The DRAM cache must be used to help perform other functions that help speed the write performance besides just caching. This means that NAND relies heavily on DRAM caching for writes to get their amazing performance while Optane will often show lower write performance, it is in fact the true write performance which when compared to NAND's true performance without DRAM caching NAND fall flat it's face, Optane walks all over NAND based products.

Since Optane does not require there be a transistor at each cell production should be easier & cheaper than NAND production but this will not likely be true until they can get the density up near NAND levels. Transistors only need to be on the beginning of the column & row connections making the cells less complicated to build compared to NAND.

One challenge may be getting Optane to scale in density may be difficulty to make each cell store more than one bit. This is the reason that it may be impossible to achieve sufficient density to be able to get at or below NAND pricing. Only Intel can answer that question though at this time.

Solution

germanium

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I currently use 3-118GB Optane 800P in RAID 0 attached to CPU & have 3-970 Evo's in RAID 0 attached to the chipset. This balance gives me the best of both worlds. I have really quick responding Optane for the operating system & programs & since the C drive gets a lot of writes it has decent write capabilities in terms of longevity especially in RAID 0 which in my case is over a petabyte in spite of how small the drive is. 365 TBW times 3. & since there is no write amplification with Optane it should last a very long time as the boot drive.

Since the Samsung 970 Evo does have write amplification it would serve me best as a data drive that has very little writing done on a daily basis or even monthly basis at that. Actually though I do do a thorough overwrite every couple of months in order to prevent data from becoming stale which can cause data loss in some cases especially in cases where more than 2 bits are stored in each cell which the 970 Evo does. I have about 1.25TB stored on the 970 Evo RAID drive. Each 970 Evo drive is 1TB

Status
Not open for further replies.