Opteron 165 + __________ motherboard?

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Hi everyone
I'm in the process of upgrading my motherboard + cpu, but I have a problem. I just bought a 7800gs, so I need an agp board, but I also want a board that can overclock and handle opterons. I will be gettin an opteron 165 and attempt to hit at least 2.5ghz with a zalman 7000cu. But I don't know what board is best. I was looking at
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=15&l3=68&model=238&modelmenu=1
but I never have personally owned an asus board, and my brother has so much trouble with his. Although I did build a system a long time ago with the A7N8X for a buddy and he doesn't seem to have any problems, but he doesn't overclock...so... help! lol

dizman

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
I'd return the 7800GS and get a mobo with PCIe, like Asus A8N32 Deluxe perhaps. Just stay away from DFI <shutters>

IMO it'd be a rather big bottleneck and waste of money to get an Opteron 165 with an AGP mobo

dizman

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
DFI owns Asus, don't compare Asus to DFI, DFI is much better.

Well in MY experince it wasn't. I think a mobo should be able to run stable on stock everything out of the box with all the approite drivers and updates, my DFI did not (DFI Lanparty UT DR-SLI Expert). I spent 2 weeks trying to get it to not randomly crash or lock up or give me errors and I couldn't. And before you start flaming (as you do in almost every post prozac) I'm not new to this or an idiot. With the Asus A8N32 Deluxe it took me 40mins to format, update, and get it running smoothly without problems! IMO a mobo should run smoothly out of the box without have tweek it to get it just to run!

As I read at dfi-street "it's a great mobo IF you can get it run right in the first place" to me that's pretty bad.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
I agree that DFI is better than ASUS. My SLI Expert board fired right up and has been stable so far. I do see your point though. As soon as I started really OC it, I got BSOD and it was unstable. Apparently, the RAM I was using made it so. I've switched to new RAM and it is much more stable now.

The SLI expert board is made for non other than OC'ing enthusiasts. It does run good out of the box but, OC'ing it changes everything. You really gotta have patience and be fairly good at OC'ing it if your going to use it. OC'ing takes time and with this board, you better have plenty of it.

dizman

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
I agree that DFI is better than ASUS. My SLI Expert board fired right up and has been stable so far. I do see your point though. As soon as I started really OC it, I got BSOD and it was unstable. Apparently, the RAM I was using made it so. I've switched to new RAM and it is much more stable now.

The SLI expert board is made for non other than OC'ing enthusiasts. It does run good out of the box but, OC'ing it changes everything. You really gotta have patience and be fairly good at OC'ing it if your going to use it. OC'ing takes time and with this board, you better have plenty of it.

Yea it was extremely picky with hardware I noticed. It hated my wifi card, the program that came with it would crash within 2mins of loading into windows, with this Asus no problems. That really turned me off of it too, I don't have the time and money to be buying new parts till I find the exact magical perfect ones that work with it, I found that to be ridilious. And my experince with OCing on that board I wouldn't call an experince, yea I was just f$#@ing around with it, if I was really trying to OC I wouldn't have had that little of patience, I just knew I was getting rid of it and messed around.

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
I realise I should of gone with a 7800gt + probably some SLI board BUT I have the 7800gs and I'm stuck with it, I'm willing to spend 100-150$ now for a motheboard and spend another 100-150$ more in a year or two along with a new videocard. I am debating maybe I should sell it on ebay and go that route but for now thats what I'm stuck with. And that is what I would like some advice on :p

WOWchamp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
Sell it on ebay, AGP is dead/expensive and has no future. Go with PCI-E.

I've read very little bad stuff about DFI boards, and if there was any bad things it was about overclocking and compatibality issues ( they coincide.. ). If their are brands/specific parts that are reported the board doesnt like them simply dont buy those parts. I stand by DFI