Opterons: 12-core in 2010, 16-core in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Euh shouldn't the emphasis be on making programs and games actually use 4 cores instead of jumping to 16? Not to mention making everything 64 bit and optimizing it.

1raflo

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
Wow just imagine the cpu muscle of 16 cores, encoding at light speed!!

Do i have to mention that this proc is not for gaming purposes?

Save for mostly encoding apps, theres nothing that really takes full advantage of my i7. So using a 16 for gaming would be a major overkil.

G

lol, AMD soulcn't even make it's quad core run efficiently at lower power condition. Beside, of all software and OS out there, non of them utilize multi-core efficiently, and it may not for another few years.

G

AMD has a habit, hype up what they couldn't deliver on time with purpose to jack up share price. AMD products always delay over delay delivered to store shelves. I think govt should regulate such practice for coporation to scam investors money.

thundercleese

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]curiousjoe[/nom]lol, AMD soulcn't even make it's quad core run efficiently at lower power condition. Beside, of all software and OS out there, non of them utilize multi-core efficiently, and it may not for another few years.[/citation]

Any decent rendering engine will use multi-cores efficiently. V-ray scales wonderfully as the core count goes up. As for OS's, I've had good results with Windows XP x64 and even better results with Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1.

Cache

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
The last time AMD rushed a processor to market, they brought out the Phenom. Let's hope they learned a lesson or two from that Jar-jar Binks disaster when they ambitiously go for this new roadmap.

blasko229

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2008
I think its a bad idea to show your whole hand at the start of a poker match. This info seems to just give intel the heads up to counter with newer features/models. But I guess that benefits the consumer in a way at the end. Either way this just seems a marketing tactic to raise stocks quickly since what end user is really blown away by hearing 16 cores is coming in a few years. As the article said, seeing is believing and talk is cheap. Its like "We drew this picture of a flying car? You interested? Check back in 2050."

Btw, does anyone agree that the grey neutral comments on here are too light. Can anyone from toms fix that? Shouldn't it be positive is green txt, red negative, DARK gray or black for neutral? I've been just skipping grey ones.

djtronika

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
guys, this is probably for servers not your custom gaming machine. by then vmware will probably have support for 16 cores. for now, with vsphere 4 it's atleast 8.

thelvyn

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
It guys are gonna love those, more cores at the same tdp and more memory for virtualizing more servers. I love how people always complain when server hardware is discussed how unsuitable it is. If they dont build these multicore cpus then the lazy developers will never learn how to code for them. Learning how to efficiently write multithreading code is our biggest problem at the moment, its HARD to do it properly. I hope your not seriously thinking we would be better off with the P4's at 6ghz now instead ? ugh. I for one welcome more cores, the more the merrier.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]moonblood[/nom]Euh shouldn't the emphasis be on making programs and games actually use 4 cores instead of jumping to 16? Not to mention making everything 64 bit and optimizing it.[/citation]
What's this have to do with AMD making better hardware?

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
I can tell someone is green or has no idea what a server and/or a workstation is and does when they are talking about playing video games on a 12 core or even a 4 core processor. I play video games on my "play" PC but in the commercial/industrial world where speed means money... 12 core is on the right path towards effective computing. Any web server serving out apps and any kind of OLAP surely benefits. The only thing I want squared up is the pricing of server licensing and core/cpu quantities.

In anycase it's all right at the beginning of the article and title... it's an Opteron processor. Opterons are dedicated for server / workstation environments so asking for video game comparisons is strange.

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]moonblood[/nom]Euh shouldn't the emphasis be on making programs and games actually use 4 cores instead of jumping to 16? Not to mention making everything 64 bit and optimizing it.[/citation]
They are intended for the server market not the casual consumer.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
It's a server cpu .. it'd be great for anything requiring a lot of processing power. I'd imagine you'd find these in terminal servers and vmware hosts.

Gazz

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
Thanks alot ha ha haaa now I can't get the image of Jaw-Jaw Binks numbing his toung out of my mind lol
Never the less is true if you keep rushing you will end up like Microsoft But they have a persentage rateing for how much boobs they can release in a package for other people to fix with service packs
apple seams to be picture perfect Intel is makeing sure they are I hope AMD/ATI do the same there is nothing worse then a rushed product with mistakes
Gazz

goryachev

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
[citation][nom]thundercleese[/nom]I use all eight cores of my dual AMD Opteron workstation for rendering 3d. So, yes, I do welcome even more cores.[/citation]
isn't rendering 3d is more applicable for a strong graphic card? Like quadro?

goryachev

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
[citation][nom]curiousjoe[/nom]lol, AMD soulcn't even make it's quad core run efficiently at lower power condition. Beside, of all software and OS out there, non of them utilize multi-core efficiently, and it may not for another few years.[/citation]
In the server market, the application must be multithreaded, and thus they utilize all the cores.
Note: this processor is not for consumer market.

goryachev

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
[citation][nom]jarqueroguine[/nom]AMD has a habit, hype up what they couldn't deliver on time with purpose to jack up share price. AMD products always delay over delay delivered to store shelves. I think govt should regulate such practice for coporation to scam investors money.[/citation]
Are you invested in AMD? :)

goryachev

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
[citation][nom]blasko229[/nom]I think its a bad idea to show your whole hand at the start of a poker match. This info seems to just give intel the heads up to counter with newer features/models. [/citation]

Who said this are the only models to be manufactured? we don't know yet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.