optical drive failure

Oct 22, 2018
My laptop's optical drive won't show any sign of life but it is shown in device manager as working successfully. Even I reinstalled a fresh windows 8.1, but the problem persists.
Possible causes:
1. I used to have windows 10 on my laptop, and with that windows, I had to always turn my laptop on twice. a few seconds after my first push of "power on" button, it used to go off and my second attempt always worked. In my opinion, it was a power failure problem, which is solved now by returning to win 8.1.
2. Recently I bought a pack of Sony DVD-R with which my optical drive had difficulties. For writing a few DVDs I struggled a lot and installed quite a good number of burning software.

Will you please provide me with some probable solutions?

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
You can pick up a dvd burner for like $20. Aside from that, however, is that pack of sony discs the only time you've had issues burning? I mean it is possible you got a bad batch of blank discs. I don't know how common that is today, but in the early days it was very likely. Back then I used to only buy verbatum because they worked more often than any other.

Oct 22, 2018

the drive won't eject. even if I manually eject it using a pin, the disc won't spin. It seems that there is no power there. yet, the drive is detected by windows and is shown as working properly.

Oct 22, 2018

Buying a new one is my last option. and yes I have never had issues with discs before.

The only thing that Windows sees is that the drive is connected, the actual drive mechanism is the issue here, not the fact that it's not seen by the computer. You can look at your car if it's broken and it looks OK till you try to drive it, same thing.

Device Manager is not foolproof -- it will sometimes say a device is working properly even when it isn't (especially optical drives) -- as long as the device is connected properly and is detected, Device Manager "assumes" it's working. You know it isn't working, so replace it.