[SOLVED] Optimal RAM Upgrade for Gigabyte Z97x sli, i5 4670k? No clue what to do

Jan 31, 2019
Hi, I need to upgrade my current RAM and am struggling to find the correct answer.
Current Build
Gigabyte Z97x Sli
Intel I5 4670k
NVIDIA GforceGTX 750ti
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb DDR3 1600
Windows 8.1
Crucial ct256mx100SSD (this is full)
HGST (this is full)

I am pretty brutal on PC memory and max the 8GB Ram regularly. Normal use is 3 browsers with 50 to 100 tabs each (min is google with google voice very active, firefox with 50tabs). Skype, Thunderbird (probably 20 active emails), a combination of word, powerpoint, excel. Streaming tv sports on one of the browsers. Watching a movie on VLC. ....and of course, I don't want to admit this, Civ 5 vox populi, maxed to the gills on a Huge Map 63 civs and on Deity. (for the civ fans out there). Currently runs at 25 to 30 fps. I would like this over 74fps for a number of reasons we don't need to discuss. Is this possible? I need to run 2 skypes and basically need them on at all times along with google voice.

Video editing (adobe) and web editing...which I need to do more of but don't because of performance. Chuck on an upgraded monitor at 4k. Run two of them sometimes, but performance is lagging.

I don't have the budget for a whole new rig but can spend $300 or so. I think I fried the CPU to a certain extent as overclocking it seems to make it unstable. Say $450max if I replace CPU.

With that said I figured I would start with a RAM upgrade (so please reply addressing RAM first before embellishing answers). I don't know whether to by another set of ripjaws making it a total of 16 gb on 4 slots at 1600 or scrap the existing ram and buy 2x 8GB? Should I go with a higher frequency? Or 4x 8GB? Can I mix 2x 8GB 1600 with 2x 4GB 1600?
With my intended use I am making know headway at figuring out what to do.

For the full drive issues
I was going to get 4tb Seagate backup drive at staple for $89? Good deal? Really don't need more that 2TB. Suggested deals, brands? Current HGST at 4 years and counting.

The problem with the current SSD is that I have to edit video files with surround sound and 4k resolution via the drive and those files are like 20 to 60GB, I have to use the SSD or performance is bad. Thus I need another SSD I guess. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Solution
Hello,

I recommend you buying G. SKILL TRIDENTX 16GB 2400MHz or CORSAIR DOMINATOR if you are able to find them.

The higher the frequency the better it is for the kind of use. I would even suggest 32GB of ram since if I’m right you are doing heavy multitasking and video rendering/photo editing
Jan 31, 2019
Yeah, but no clue what to do. Should I buy another set of the same Gskillz or switch them out with something else? Can I put 2x 8GB Gkills at 1600 next to the 2x 4gb ones? Not sure if that works from what I read. Probably the easiest solution if that is possible.

Jan 31, 2019
More info:
I for sure bought this ripjaws: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428
However, I ran CPUz and it says the timings are 11-11-11-28, while this shows 9-9-9-24
Could I have changed the timings via an overclocking and/or bios change experiment in the past? Can CPUz be wrong? So even if I bought the same model to fill the other slot but the timings are different, that would screw up the computer? I'm guessing I should not try to keep the old ram, sell it and buy a new pair? I was hoping to put 16 with the existing 8...but all I care about is speed response from multitasking. still confused at the best solution to this.

Jun 28, 2018
Hello,

I recommend you buying G. SKILL TRIDENTX 16GB 2400MHz or CORSAIR DOMINATOR if you are able to find them.

The higher the frequency the better it is for the kind of use. I would even suggest 32GB of ram since if I’m right you are doing heavy multitasking and video rendering/photo editing

Solution
Memory runs at Serial Presence Detect (SPD) settings if left on [Auto] in BIOS. You need to enable XMP in BIOS. (see page 41 of downloadable motherboard manual)

Adding extra memory has no guarantee to be compatible with your existing memory. It is recommended to use a Single Kit and not mixing with your old memory.

popatim

Titan

Accord to a couple sites I checked last night, his motherboard only supports up 8GB Dimms.
I agree with the 32Gb

Jan 31, 2019

Thanks. You are correct. The only reason I am not video editing is because of the current specs.

Do you think I should change the motherboard so that I can switch to DDR4? Seems like the frequency is much higher and pricing the same. With my intended use, could you recommend a motherboard? I don't have the budget for board, memory, cpu, but I think I can do 32gb and board at $400 or less? Are newer boards backwards compatible with CPUs? Meaning I'd like to use the i5 4670k with the new configuration until I can replace the CPU in 6 months or so. I'm not sure if I need new power supply, GPU, SSD, if I do this. Don't want to do all that right now.

So is it worth the trouble now, to start a rebuild or just drop in what you recommend. Thoughts?

Jan 31, 2019

yes, that is correct. Please check my response to the other poster and give your opinion.

Jan 31, 2019

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I remember messing around with the Bios when I built it but I don't think I ever did this.

Jan 31, 2019
https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Trident-F3-2133C9D-16GTX-240-Pin-Desktop/dp/B008Y6SX5Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1548999541&sr=1-1&keywords=TRIDENT+DDR3

I seem to be short on options at a decent price. The weird thing about the Tridents is the voltage. This one is 1.6v. All the other companies are at 1.5v. When I look at a compatibility site it lists one Trident as compatible, which is the one you mention at 2400 at 1.65v. What is the deal with the voltage differences? Will it work?

...I ruled out upgrading everything else. Seems like no point and I need to upgrade sooner than later.

Jan 31, 2019
Any thoughts on Used Trident Xs 2400, they are only 2 x 8gb though? There are a few being offered on Ebay. The only other options at 2400 in a 32gb set would be the Ripjaws. There is this Trident X at 1866, https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231624, at $254

Anyways those are all the options. What do you guys think?

Jun 28, 2018
The voltages are that high cause they need to be able to handle the low timings / high frequency. If G. SKILL rates the RAM at the advertised voltages, then it should be safe. So yes, it will work. If you find anything cheaper from HyperX or Corsair at 2400. same CAS Latency but lower voltage go for it. Else stick to TridentX. You can't go wrong with any of these companies.

Regards