Question Optimize 200 Mbps Internet Help!

Haibrands

Honorable
Dec 30, 2014
Hello all!

I'm trying to utilize the 200 Mbps Internet I currently have with Spectrum. I currently only get 100 Mbps max no matter if it is a speed test, download (12.5 MB/s), etc.

-When I got the plan, I received a SageMCom Fast 5280 router and a modem.
-Along with that, I have a Cat6 Ethernet Cable
-I am using onboard LAN from my Z390 MSI Gaming Plus Motherboard

What is my bottleneck? Should I upgrade my router? Buy a LAN card? If you all don't have any idea, I'll give Spectrum a call for better hardware, however I'd like to figure this out myself.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It'll be the ISP, probably a nut job there set you on 100 instead.

Your motherboard nic and router is gigabit and capable of doing 115~120MB/sec over lan depending if have hdd/ssd between computer. Cat 6 isn't limiting either as 5 & 5e can transfer at those speeds as well long as the cable has 8 (4 pairs) wires.

Can you test lan speed between two computers?

Haibrands

Honorable
Dec 30, 2014
It'll be the ISP, probably a nut job there set you on 100 instead.

Your motherboard nic and router is gigabit and capable of doing 115~120MB/sec over lan depending if have hdd/ssd between computer. Cat 6 isn't limiting either as 5 & 5e can transfer at those speeds as well long as the cable has 8 (4 pairs) wires.

Can you test lan speed between two computers?
Oh I see, interesting. Thanks. I have a laptop with an ethernet port along with my desktop. Would that suffice?

Haibrands

Honorable
Dec 30, 2014
Oh thats awesome. Should easily see 1000mbps then. Fingers crossed.
Darn, I tried to work it out but I wasn't able to get it work with the whole network and sharing center settings :/ not sure what I did wrong, but it would only show each respective computer under "Network" for the file explorer. Any other suggestions?

A somewhat easier program to test with is called iperf. It is a old line mode tool that is very simple it is not influenced much by disk,memory, cpu etc it purely test the network.

Still if you have 2 machines and both only get 100mbits to the internet then it is likely your ISP.

The most common cause of this is a bad cable. Cable fail very strangely they can work on some machines and not others. They will randomly work at full speed and the next time you boot the machine they will not. Most times it is the connections slightly loose in one of the ends and the slightest difference in position or heat or something causes it to connect and disconnect. Make sure you buy a cat5e or better cable that is pure copper (no cca) make sure the wire size is 22-24 (no flat or thin cables).

AtkinsFriendly

Reputable
May 26, 2015
Real quick, check that Cat6 cable. Is it a self made cable or manufacture cable?

In windows, go into Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Options > Right Click your Ethernet Adapter and go to Status.

Confirm on the speed that it says "1.0 Gbps", if it doesnt, I'm betting you have a bad cable and your NIC is limiting the speed to 100mbs

Haibrands

Honorable
Dec 30, 2014
Real quick, check that Cat6 cable. Is it a self made cable or manufacture cable?

In windows, go into Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Options > Right Click your Ethernet Adapter and go to Status.

Confirm on the speed that it says "1.0 Gbps", if it doesnt, I'm betting you have a bad cable and your NIC is limiting the speed to 100mbs
It does say 1.0 Gbps. Also, the ethernet cable is this one:
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...cat6+ethernet&qid=1555730780&s=gateway&sr=8-3