Question options to cool down a really hot Alder Lake 12th Gen i9-12900?

May 16, 2023
I just bought an HP Envy "gaming" computer. It runs really, really hot when gaming, and has a 12th Gen i9-12900 16 core CPU. The case only has a front fan which is poorly placed, a rear 92mm exhaust fan, and a 92mm CPU fan with one and a half cooling towers.

There is however a spot above the CPU cooler for a 120mm fan (with vents on the top of the case). Should I get a 2000 rpm (for example) *non*-PWM fan? Like a "Be Quiet" 3 pin? Would this work on the remaining 4 pin on the motherboard, but spin at the full 2000 rpm? And if directed right down over the cooling towers, would this cool the CPU? It got to like 96C while playing a game. That seems awfully hot! Or should I go with another 4 pin as the others are? I don't want to replace the entire CPU cooler (it's a Socket LGA 1700) because I messed up my old computer doing that (hence the new PC). But if that's the only way to cool it down, I'll try (it's been awhile since I built my last rig).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great! Thanks!!

Solution
I fixed it!! The front panel of my case only had these little slits to bring air in. I took it off, and now the 120MM intake fan is fully exposed. My CPU doesn't get any hotter than 65 - 70C while intensely gaming! :D
Check bios, if adaptive boost is enabled then it will go up to 100 to boost as high as possible, turn off temp for intel is 130 so there is enough of a headroom, but if you want lower temps then you can just disable that.
While you are at it you can make sure that no power limit is above 220 for the non-k or 241 for the K version.

May 16, 2023
How about replacing the case with a real gaming case (those usually have 3 front fans)?
I can't afford another case right now, and the current one is specialized for the hardware (it has three 3.2 USB A ports on top of the case, a microphone plug, headphone plug, and a USB C). I'm not sure if all cases will support this.

I am trying the fan idea since that's only $10 and I don't have to take apart the entire computer. :)

Check bios, if adaptive boost is enabled then it will go up to 100 to boost as high as possible, turn off temp for intel is 130 so there is enough of a headroom, but if you want lower temps then you can just disable that.
While you are at it you can make sure that no power limit is above 220 for the non-k or 241 for the K version.
I checked BIOS and didn't even see anything like that, or a way to control the fans. :(

I can't afford another case right now, and the current one is specialized for the hardware (it has three 3.2 USB A ports on top of the case, a microphone plug, headphone plug, and a USB C). I'm not sure if all cases will support this.

I am trying the fan idea since that's only $10 and I don't have to take apart the entire computer. :)

Most if computer case come with a built-in front panel where you have USB and audio ports.

You can try the temporary solution, but a new case is still the best way to make the computer run cooler.

Reactions: zoldos
May 16, 2023
I fixed it!! The front panel of my case only had these little slits to bring air in. I took it off, and now the 120MM intake fan is fully exposed. My CPU doesn't get any hotter than 65 - 70C while intensely gaming! :D

Solution