[SOLVED] Optiplex 7010/9010 Best Graphics Card with Stock PSU

Ethobling

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2015
Hello, folks.
I am considering purchasing a Optiplex 7010 MT with the i5 3570 to use for a budget gaming rig. I was wondering which graphics card would be the best choice. My criteria are:
  1. Has to work with the stock PSU/motherboard
  2. Under $100 new or used, but with a name brand, such as MSI (for warrantee purposes)
  3. Reliable/has a large heatsink to keep it cool
  4. 1080 gaming capable at medium or above settings. Mainly looking at GTA 5 and other similar games. 30+ FPS needed, 45+ preferred

Bonus nachos if you answer this: what's the advantage of the Optiplex 9010 over the 7010?

Thanks.

Solution
How about an MSI GTX 1050 TI Aero ITX? TDP is only 75 watts and according to some, the Dell PSUs are underrated by anywhere from 25-75 watts. The stock PSU is 300 watts, so 75W + ~75W for the i5 leaves 150+ watts for the other stuff.. Shouldn't that be plenty?

Granted, it is slightly above my price range, but I have found a guy willing to part with an open box one for around $100.
That is a pretty good card. Just make sure it doesnt need any 6 pin and it should work.

Ethobling

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2015
USA. Like I said: max possible with the stock PSU. I do have a 700w PSU lying around somewhere, but let's just pretend I don't FIRST. Give me options with the stock psu first, please. Then I can work up from there.

Thank you.

There are NO stock cards that can be reliably recommended for medium to high 1080p gaming that cost less than 100 dollars. None.

Used cards cannot be reliably recommended, as there is no way to know their history, fitness for a particular use, whether they are in fact functional or even if they've had their BIOS altered for mining at some point. Unless you are buying from somebody you highly trust, I can't recommend buying a used card and that's without even going into the fact that unless somebody has paid for the option to be able to transfer the warranty, such as with SOME EVGA cards, then graphics card warranties are almost universally not transferable, which makes it an even bigger and unacceptable risk unless you have money to throw away and if you did we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Ethobling

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2015
How about an MSI GTX 1050 TI Aero ITX? TDP is only 75 watts and according to some, the Dell PSUs are underrated by anywhere from 25-75 watts. The stock PSU is 300 watts, so 75W + ~75W for the i5 leaves 150+ watts for the other stuff.. Shouldn't that be plenty?

Granted, it is slightly above my price range, but I have found a guy willing to part with an open box one for around $100.

That is a pretty good card. Just make sure it doesnt need any 6 pin and it should work.

Reactions: popatim
Solution
Hopefully you'll have no problems. I'm VERY skeptical when it comes to anything used and especially when it is being sold on Ebay though. Certainly you CAN find good deals that way, but mostly they are somebody trying to get rid of something that for whatever reason holds no value for them anymore and usually, that is because there is either a problem OR the item isn't what they are representing it to be. Hopefully, that will not be the case in your case.

The good thing about 1050Ti class GPUs is that it's HIGHLY unlikely that they'd have been used for crypto mining, and they're the level of GPUs that people get rid of because they upgraded to something better.
It is usually very easy to spot a fake. Most fakes have a very basic cooler (most fakes look identical) and have a VGA out. Poorly written descriptions and conflicting info on the same page is another red flag.

Plus GPU-Z now tells you the GPU is a fake and tells you what the actual die is.
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/n...rce-gtx-1060-graphics-cards-sold-on-ebay.html
This fake 1050ti is actually a fermi card lol. Like a GTS450, GTX550ti or something.

I would run GPU z on the 1050ti and make sure its fine. Then stress it. If it passes and performance is expected, all good.

Reactions: popatim
For me, I think I'd MUCH rather spend another 35 bucks, and get a card that is new and comes with a three year warranty. I don't see spending 35 bucks less as being worth the savings or the risk.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB DUAL OC Video Card ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $134.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-22 15:44 EDT-0400

Heck, it might even make sense to wait until next month and see what the GTX 1650 TI looks like with it's projected price of around 155 bucks. Options anyhow.

Yup, that's why I recommended the 1650, but the OP seems pretty hard set on that $100 budget. We have to keep in mind this is going into a $175 system though.

Side convo- is the 1650Ti rumored to be a 75W GPU? Over half of the retail vanilla 1650s have 6 pin power added (even though the stock GPU is intended for 75W). I just can't picture Nvidia being able to manage that feat.

Last edited:
You're probably right. However, the same was true of the GTX 1050 TI cards as well. Some models were slot powered, some were not. Regardless, it's probably irrelevant to this conversation anyhow whether it is or isn't because it's almost certainly not within reach of the need or budget. Not even sure really why I mentioned it to be honest.