Jan 22, 2020
Hello, this is my first time posting here so excuse me if i make any mistake.

I have an old Optiplex 745 i'm planing to upgrade for my dad (he's in his sixties and wants to learn the basics)
I upgraded the ram from 1 to 3 GB, not a huge boost but is enough for the thing's he's going to do. I also have a XfX one (hd 5450 2gb) and I want to know if it will be compatible. Anyone know if the 275 w PSU could handle it?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hello, this is my first time posting here so excuse me if i make any mistake.

I have an old Optiplex 745 i'm planing to upgrade for my dad (he's in his sixties and wants to learn the basics)
I upgraded the ram from 1 to 3 GB, not a huge boost but is enough for the thing's he's going to do. I also have a XfX one (hd 5450 2gb) and I want to know if it will be compatible. Anyone know if the 275 w PSU could handle it?

Hi @Hishelem,

1st off, very nice that you're building your dad a PC. :)

Is the Optiplex stock or has it been modified at some point. If you know for sure it's the original stock setup, then please double check here to verify this is the same as the PC you are upgrading. Otherwise , please list out the rest of the PC's specs, such as the CPU/Motherboard/HDD/SSD/OS so that we can better answer your questions.

Also here is an earlier post on Tom's about the HD5450 and the PSU requirements that may interest you.

Last but not least, Keep in mind that a maximum of 4GB of DDR2 RAM if you are going with a 32bit system. (WinXP for example) but if you are going with Win7 or Win10, then a minimum of 4GB is advised. 8GB if it's a 64bit OS. ( Your Optiplex supports a max 8GB DDR2)

More info please.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hishelem
Jan 22, 2020
Hi @Hishelem,

1st off, very nice that you're building your dad a PC. :)

Is the Optiplex stock or has it been modified at some point. If you know for sure it's the original stock setup, then please double check here to verify this is the same as the PC you are upgrading. Otherwise , please list out the rest of the PC's specs, such as the CPU/Motherboard/HDD/SSD/OS so that we can better answer your questions.

Also here is an earlier post on Tom's about the HD5450 and the PSU requirements that may interest you.

Last but not least, Keep in mind that a maximum of 4GB of DDR2 RAM if you are going with a 32bit system. (WinXP for example) but if you are going with Win7 or Win10, then a minimum of 4GB is advised. 8GB if it's a 64bit OS. ( Your Optiplex supports a max 8GB DDR2)

More info please.

Thanks, and sorry for the late reply, I wasn't home and I couldn't check on the PC.

It's unmodified. Optiplex 745 Desktop. 280 w
It has windows 7 x86
Intel Pentium D 2.80ghz
3gb of Ram

I adventured and tried the gpu but ended up with a black screen. The first weirded thing I noticed was that the PC just turned on after I plugged in. So I uninstalled the GPU and got this message

View: https://i.imgur.com/1AD8JYvr.jpg