Question Optiplex Refurb for ElGato HD60s (Nintendo Switch)

Jul 2, 2019
Hello, folks! I searched for other threads on a similar topic and found them all over, so I hope I'm putting this in the correct place!

I'm interested in recording gameplay only (no plans to stream) from my Nintendo Switch. I haven't had a desktop in ages, so I have to confess that I'm feeling a little out of my depth when double checking system requirements.

I did some research and found suggestions that a refurb Dell Optiplex would be a good option for this! I live near a MicroCenter, where they have a bunch of these machines! I'm trying to find one that fits the bill for under $500. I think this is doable, but I wanted to run all of this by more knowledgeable folks!

Option A

Option B

Option C

There are a lot of variations on this theme (for example, the same setup with an i7, or the same setup with a slightly smaller hard drive, or an HDD rather than an SSD). One of these refurbs with an i7 costs about a hundred bucks more. I'm not flat broke, but for a dedicated machine just to record gameplay (I literally do not plan to use it for anything else, my general purpose machine is a humble Asus Zenbook), I'm not sure if there would be enough of an appreciable difference between an i5 and an i7 to justify the extra $. And if there is something else I'm missing entirely about why the above machines wouldn't work, I'd love to hear about that, also!

Thanks for your time!