Oracle Accuses HP of Paying Intel to Keep Itanium on Life Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
nice one intel! your evilness wins again.
still, hpintel's itanium-of-evil plan is only successful since oracle got tricked into thinking itanium has a future. it's partly oracle's fault for being foolish. they woudn't have realized unless that ex-hp dude was oracle's vp.
only if amd was smart like this. they'd be able to keep a dud cpu like zambezi alive for years. >:D

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
@sinfulpotato I think they threw the towel in for the desktop back then but kept on trying to make it succeed in the server space for a bit longer. I'm really hoping between Sparc and ARM they put massive pressure on Intel and really drive out some innovation in the next 20 years or so.

turbotong

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Wow, this is going to get tricky real fast. Especially if Mark Hurd is involved. I'm pretty sure some part of his previous settlement with HP involved not giving away company secrets like that (if true).

lenell86

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
^^ Christ, a bunch of illiterate users that probably have never played with a server, commenting on an article for itanium servers...all of you users that commented should stay out of articles like these and stick to "AMD PHENOM IS BETTER THAN BULLDOZER ZOMG" consumer articles. Don't infest your idiocracy to the more advanced articles, let the pros comment on these, ok? JESUS

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Considering the moment the Opteron was released IA-64 never stood a chance. The game was already over, Intel was forced to use x86-64 with the Xeon.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]lenell86[/nom]^^ Christ, a bunch of illiterate users that probably have never played with a server, commenting on an article for itanium servers...all of you users that commented should stay out of articles like these and stick to "AMD PHENOM IS BETTER THAN BULLDOZER ZOMG" consumer articles. Don't infest your idiocracy to the more advanced articles, let the pros comment on these, ok? JESUS[/citation]
Ditto.

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Im not sure mark hurd's non-compete/ non-disclosure agreement with HP bares him from revealing CRIMINAL activity such as the fraud they are accusing them of. While it may give them grounds to sue, they arent going to want the justice department getting ahold of the documents used in discovery if they did do this.

campb292

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
HP allegedly pays Intel to keep Itanium alive. So, what? Oracle has had a nice steady climb in value since the early 2000's. Perhaps they are feeling their valuation is overstated and need to seek court help to put down the better competition?

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Being the open-source proponent that I am, I am losing trust for Oracle more and more. Looking at how they are handling Java, MySQL, Harmony and using it similar to how Apple handles business (patent fodder), I see them more about "business" than technical excellence.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
if there is a contractual obligation then the parties involved have to fulfill the terms as agreed upon. However with such a high profile case, doubt if any new customers would take the Itanium route. Only the existing customers will be served until the contract expires and everybody goes their separate ways.

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]lenell86[/nom]^^ Christ, a bunch of illiterate users that probably have never played with a server, commenting on an article for itanium servers...all of you users that commented should stay out of articles like these and stick to "AMD PHENOM IS BETTER THAN BULLDOZER ZOMG" consumer articles. Don't infest your idiocracy to the more advanced articles, let the pros comment on these, ok? JESUS[/citation]

Wow yea you sure look pro writing insult comments on a forum. Remember when people are real pros they dont mention it or brag about it like you.... makes ne wonder if you're not yet another troll.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

Oh great IT gods! Please hear our cry and enlighten us with your knowledge of the Arcane Itanium..

STFU, either say something relevant to the article or ah heck off lambasting posters due to their ignorance is just makes you look like an ass.

on topic; was the document filed an anti-trust suit or what? Maybe I missed it in the article but what are the potential ramifications of this suit.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Kind of lame to call others illiterates without offering any insights of your own.

Being one of those illiterates, I read through Wiki-Itanium. Near the bottom under Timeline, I found it:

■March: Oracle Corporation announces that it will stop developing application software, middleware, and Oracle Linux for the Itanium.
■March: Intel and HP reiterate their support of Itanium.

I can almost visualize the Oracle execs' reaction.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]turbotong[/nom]Wow, this is going to get tricky real fast. Especially if Mark Hurd is involved. I'm pretty sure some part of his previous settlement with HP involved not giving away company secrets like that (if true).[/citation]
Criminal acts aren't protected by non-disclosure agreements or no-compete agreements. If HP is in fact paying Intel to keep Itanium alive in an effort to force Oracle to continue developing for Itanium based systems, neither a non-disclosure agreement nor a no-compete agreement would legally prevent Mark Hurd from talking. Now, if HP is paying Intel strictly for their own gains....it's a different story and HP will eventually have to prove it and could possibly take legal action against Mark Hurd as a result.

[citation][nom]sinfulpotato[/nom]Wasn't it obvious that the towel was thrown in when AMD made x86-64 back in the early 2000's?[/citation]
x86-64 has nothing to do with Intel killing off Itanium. Clock for Clock, Itanium outperforms the Opteron processors. What actually hurt the Itanium processor was it's initial inability to execute 32bit code, which was corrected with the Itanium2. Most companies that were likely to buy into the Itanium processors, chose to go the route of the Xeon and Opteron due to native 32bit support.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Sure they are 'paying' Intel to keep Itanium alive. They are buying the CPUs and that is keeping itanium alive.

Even if they were paying Intel to keep making them, above and beyond the price tag on these things, what exactly about that is criminal?

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Draven35[/nom]Sure they are 'paying' Intel to keep Itanium alive. They are buying the CPUs and that is keeping itanium alive.Even if they were paying Intel to keep making them, above and beyond the price tag on these things, what exactly about that is criminal?[/citation]

It's a crime because it impacts the sale of Sun servers...

G

campb292: It matters because HP is suing Oracle and otherwise applying pressure because Oracle is no longer supporting Itanium in their database products. If not for that, you'd have a point.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Let the big dinosaurs keep duking it out. Meanwhile some agile ARM/Android/Linux start-ups will bite some chunks out of them. Also IBM keeps growing with their Power Series. More competition is better for the consumers.

If HP was smart they'd drop the lawsuit and put all that money into their own database solution. They'll need something different for the ARM servers they announced anyway.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]It's a crime because it impacts the sale of Sun servers...[/citation]
You mean how Oracle deciding to stop supporting Itanium and supporting their own Suns impacts HPs sale of servers?

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
I don't see anything wrong with HP paying Intel to make a chip. To me, it's like Nintendo and Microsoft paying IBM/Globalfoundries/TSMC to make them a chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS