News Orange Pi 5 Benchmarks are (finally) in! Rockchip RK3588S absolutely worth the wait!

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
https://www.phoronix.com/review/orange-pi-5

geometric-mean-of-all-test-results-result-composite-rp4vop5b.svgz
"Not only was it the huge performance uplift that left me impressed by the Orange Pi 5 but also having up to a 32GB model for those wanting to utilize more memory intensive workloads "​

Sounds like a winner!

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
I have tried to employ the OPi but found that the lack of support was its biggest detriment. The single board computer sector seems to be following the same track of PC's, lots of players, but the only the well supported hardware did well.

Reactions: bit_user

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
https://www.phoronix.com/review/orange-pi-5

geometric-mean-of-all-test-results-result-composite-rp4vop5b.svgz
"Not only was it the huge performance uplift that left me impressed by the Orange Pi 5 but also having up to a 32GB model for those wanting to utilize more memory intensive workloads "​

Sounds like a winner!
32GB of RAM is pretty amazing considering the Pi 4 was limited to 8GB. I wonder if the additional CPU and RAM will allow it to decently run additional emulators such as Nintendo Wii.

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
Yes, that's what I've heard about them. You basically can't rely on the manufacturer for anything. My hope is just that it's a popular enough board that the community support remains strong.

I don't have enough experience on an OPi to say how good the hardware is. The lack of this experience is due to the lack of support. OPi could be a great board, but since there is little support, then the Manufacturer is going to have to step up to the plate and provide the drivers and/or OS.

Many companies do not supply documentation and instead rely on the community to provide it. This company has taken that model a step further and relies on the community to provide a functional OS!

"HEY OPi MANUFACTURER! WE DON'T HAVE THE EXPERTISE, NECESSARY DOCUMENTATION NOR TIME TO FIX THIS. YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO DO IT!"

TRENDING THREADS