Origin Claims "World's First" with 3D Laptop Sporting SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Further info: the battery lasts just long enough to get to the login screen.

Not sure why they call them laptops. Portable desktops seems a more fitting title.

This is neat but so useless in real life. Fist off Flamming hot this thing must sound like a tornado with all it fans going full blast. And who wants to be staring at a little bitty 3d screen wearing those stupid looking glasses LOL. The power in this thing is awsome but eh.... I got a gaming laptop through work and its fun but unless I'm on the road it does not get much use sits in the corner and i game on a desktop.... Guess its personal prefrence but who wants to sit in fron of a laptop for hours on end playing games.

Thent

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
I agree with you jdog ^^ How can all this power can be sustained by current near worthless lithium batteries that can barely power those tiny smartphones.... laptops with full x86 cpu and gpus... forget it.

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Also comes with a bucket full of water to submerge it in while you use it...

Might be hard to play with all that steam coming over your screen though...

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jdog2pt0[/nom]Further info: the battery lasts just long enough to get to the login screen.Not sure why they call them laptops. Portable desktops seems a more fitting title.[/citation]

lol, login screen in 3D. lol These damn machines weight over 12 pounds allot of times. I am sure this will be somewhere around there as well. What is the point unless you game everywhere you go.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]jdog2pt0[/nom]Further info: the battery lasts just long enough to get to the login screen.Not sure why they call them laptops. Portable desktops seems a more fitting title.[/citation]

If it supports Optimus, where the 2 video cards can shut down and just has the on-die Intel graphics, then I'd expect 2 hours or more. But yeah otherwise, like 30 minutes i guess.

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I am hoping big with Origin. I expect this laptop to be decent, as it is the "first" SLI laptop. This is only the first, now we can expect to see improvment on battery life, heat, and weight. The most important thing is that it was done.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]mousemonkey[/nom]Didn't Alienware use to do SLi laptops?http://www.theinquirer.net/inquire [...] ocks-games[/citation]

Yea, SLI in laptops have been done for years. This is by no means the first unless they are able to do it in a form factor that still allows for some level of portability.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
they should really throw in some nice military discounts, its the only group I know of that would have there eyes on this thing on a regular basis.

Military = limited space + long deployments to save up for expensive stuff.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Who cares about 3D? Its just a coverup for the fact that the graphics aren't getting better because of those stupid ()%*(&)#(*$#$ consoles. I want better graphics!!!! I'll be impressed when we get real holographic projectors. Pseudo 3D is still 2D in the end and nothing else.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
[citation][nom]frozenlead[/nom]Again, this is a Clevo chassis. Many, many manufacturers (some for cheaper prices) carry this same machine.See: Sager, Eurocom, XoticPC..[/citation]
Not to mention Clevo has been doing SLI for years. Had a Clevo branded SLI laptop rig many many moons ago in 2006.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Wonderful, a $3k laptop that supports this gimmick 3D that won't be around much longer.

I bet it'll play Crysis, though, if the battery doesn't die by time the computer boots up.

thehidecheck

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]2 580m in SLI for just a 1080p laptop way overkill and I'm a hardcore gamer but game at 2560 x 1600 with 2 gtx 580s 3gb versions. I also have a Asus G74 Sandy with a single 560 in it and it lasts about 90 min on high performance mode, cant imagine this lap lasting more than 30 min with those specs[/citation]GTX 580>>>>>GTX 580M

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I know there are some people who want to game on thier laptop and notebook, they will sell some but don't think it will replace my desktop anytime soon.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

pretty sure SB-E doesn't have built-in gpu

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]chicofehr[/nom]Who cares about 3D? Its just a coverup for the fact that the graphics aren't getting better because of those stupid ()%*(&)#(*$#$ consoles. I want better graphics!!!! I'll be impressed when we get real holographic projectors. Pseudo 3D is still 2D in the end and nothing else.[/citation]
Exactly, this is what everyone who comments on this is missing. 3D is a joke for gaming and movies, but people are dumb enough...er... I mean cutting edge enough to pay ridiculous amounts of money for it.

g-unit1111

Titan
[citation][nom]Trialsking[/nom]Exactly, this is what everyone who comments on this is missing. 3D is a joke for gaming and movies, but people are dumb enough...er... I mean cutting edge enough to pay ridiculous amounts of money for it.[/citation]

I so agree with this that it's not even funny. The last 3-D movie I watched (Harold & Kumar Christmas) = the movie was decent - but the technology was an absolute joke in terms of the 3-D it actually used. It's a complete gimmick and I'd be surprised if game developers were taking advantage of this technology. I'm sure they think it's a joke.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
if you are saying that 3d is a joke for gaming, you have never tried it on a proper setup.

3d in games is far different from movies, an entire second image is rendered from a different, adjustable, angle; in movies you are dealing with a fixed image.

Shutter glasses are the most comfortable way to view 3d as your head orientation has no affect on the 3d, and in a proper configuration there is little to no ghosting (or eye strain)

Parralax requires your head to remain perpendicular to the display, it is ok on my phone, but not desirable with a fixed display

polarization (circular anyway) is okay, but ghosting can still be an issue when your head is in motion.

I just have a hard time understanding the "if i have to wear glasses then i dont need 3d" argument. Are people so vain? you could make the same argument about headsets or any of 100 daily use items.

I guess what im saying is, you do not look cool out and about in public playing games; wearing some glasses to improve your personal experience isnt tipping the scales. Enjoy your self, and stop worrying about "gaming fashion".

For the record i agree about 80% of 3d movies are trash, though there are some gems.

Status
Not open for further replies.