Origin PC Launches Gaming Laptop With Dual GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarred125

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Portable seems to be all relative here. This, IMO, is NOT portable. The battery life I'm sure is abysmal as is the weight.

But I guess there is a market for this.

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Unless your in college i see no reason why you shouldnt just buy a powerful desktop and a light way long lasting laptop/tablet together for the same price.

G

I travel about 150 days a year. While portable is relative, I carry a gaming beast because I'm never home and gaming is a good way to kill time in a hotel room, that typically won't kill your marriage.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
i see this working best during winter to heat the entire room a good 20 degrees. anyway, this is probably the best deal on a gaming laptop Ive ever seen.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]longshotthe1st[/nom]The people crying about the weight need to go do some push-ups or something-it's no worse than carrying a case of beer.[/citation]

You've never had carry a laptop with you every day of the week from lecture hall to lecture hall, have you?

A laptop in this size, weight and battery life category is little more than a slightly more mobile desktop. Do those high graphics details really matter on a 17" display?

[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]i see this working best during winter to heat the entire room a good 20 degrees. anyway, this is probably the best deal on a gaming laptop Ive ever seen.[/citation]

It would use less power than a desktop with similarly performing parts. A desktop with two 7850s and an I7-3770K overclocked to 4.1GHz and other similar specs would probably consume a lot more power than this laptop would with the best configuration despite being quite power efficient and not using a lot of power.

booyaah

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Shit would be so funny when you pull this monster out in a library...everyone is looking at you thinking 'what the hell is that monstrosity?'

You plug it in, the library goes from dead silent in one second, to sounding like a full fledged server room with everyone thinking, 'you gotta be kidding me'.

Shortly after booting up, the room suddenly loses power and everything goes pitch black, and the entire room of people lets out a collective sigh.

Then that disappointment turns into anger and everyone starts chucking hardback books to your face as you try to leave the room.

After finally managing to get out the library, as you start to walk home, you are granted by the campus thugs. After they re-iterate how much you look like crap already, they promptly decide to kick your teeth in.

You wake up 30 minutes cold and bloody, and your $3000 laptop is gone.

Haha I don't think I'd want one of these if I was still in college.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007

The odds of this story you just made up ever happening we honestly have a better chance getting hit by an asteroid then the story you just made up, made me chuckle but thats not college life today just a fyi. And to everyone whining about the weight, i've carried heavier backpacks with books weighing over 40lb's alone so 10-14lb's for a laptop that can game it all on ultra is worth the weight and price. :p

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]You've never had carry a laptop with you every day of the week from lecture hall to lecture hall, have you?A laptop in this size, weight and battery life category is little more than a slightly more mobile desktop. Do those high graphics details really matter on a 17" display?[/citation]

no, but i have carried about 50 pounds of books and magazines from class to class in highschool so i didnt need to stop off in my locker.

so i will never under stand the complaint about its 12 pounds and you can put it in a bag and carry it even easier, where i held a 1 and a half foot high stack of books and crap from class to class in a crowded hallway, where people have tried to kill me (i consider tripping me in front of a large stare case attempted murder)

and for the record, i was so weak most of my highschool life than many of the girls were stronger than me.

this is a dieing laptop type, the desktop replacement.

the key feature of this is mobile desktop performance. get to where you are going use it as a laptop, get to your room, hook that thing up to a 24 inch + screen and use a keyboard and mouse.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]booyaah[/nom]Shit would be so funny when you pull this monster out in a library...everyone is looking at you thinking 'what the hell is that monstrosity?'You plug it in, the library goes from dead silent in one second, to sounding like a full fledged server room with everyone thinking, 'you gotta be kidding me'.Shortly after booting up, the room suddenly loses power and everything goes pitch black, and the entire room of people lets out a collective sigh.Then that disappointment turns into anger and everyone starts chucking hardback books to your face as you try to leave the room.After finally managing to get out the library, as you start to walk home, you are granted by the campus thugs. After they re-iterate how much you look like crap already, they promptly decide to kick your teeth in. You wake up 30 minutes cold and bloody, and your $3000 laptop is gone. Haha I don't think I'd want one of these if I was still in college.[/citation]

*Install GPS tracking device and a backdoor software, preferably BIOS based*

Then: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4oB28ksiIo

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Also, wouldn't it be cheaper to install a mid-range desktop GPU in one of those laptops instead of two "high-range" mobile GPUs?

Besides, a dual GPU setup is more likely to be a hassle, especially for games that don't or only partially support multi-GPUs.

[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]The 7970M is generally cheaper and substantially faster than the GTX 680M. Anyone buying this should consider that when they choose their options.[/citation]

the last time i checked, the 680m uses a gtx670 chip thats been downclocked 200mhz. i highly doubt the underclocked 7870 can beat the underclocked gtx670

maalth

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2004
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]You've never had carry a laptop with you every day of the week from lecture hall to lecture hall, have you?A laptop in this size, weight and battery life category is little more than a slightly more mobile desktop. Do those high graphics details really matter on a 17" display?[/citation]

Try carrying 35 lbs of mail (yes, I do that) in all kinds of weather on FOOT 7 1/2 miles per day, 5 days per week.. I'd gladly carry a "heavy" 12 lb laptop compared to that ten times over.

longshotthe1st

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Oh so not only are you an expert on carrying things like a sissy, you are also an expert on my life? congrats

Status
Not open for further replies.