ORIGIN PC Overclocks New Core i7 to 5.0 GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginnai

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Without benchmark comparisons, 5+ gigs doesn't really mean much to me. This ad seems to appeals to only the wealthiest and most easily impressed. Air cooling is significantly cheaper (and less prone to leak lethal fluids onto my components) and offers plenty of OCing; my system is OC'ed 25% and idles 8 degrees above ambient.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]someguynamedmatt[/nom]Yay?You guys had better put out one helluva a lot of coverage when Bulldozer comes out...[/citation]
Or instead we should say, AMD better put out one helluva processor if they expect to stay relevant. Currently these 'midrange' chips are outperforming AMDs flagship 6 core processor. That's really bad if you're AMD, they need to prove they can compete.

ien2222

Distinguished
[citation][nom]rpgplayer[/nom]nice Advertisement, now where are the benches??[/citation]
Really? This is the news section, Origin announced, Toms reported, don't be such an ass.

Hopefully AMD can compete with the SB chips. If not, they had at least reposition themselves to trade blows with the 1st gen I7 CPUs to be able to force Intel to keep their pricing structure in a reasonable range. Otherwise be prepared to pay alot more for those shiny new SB chips as the upper range CPUs are released.

I have to say this is an exciting year to see new CPUs get released and see how well you fight off the needless urge to upgrade again!

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]ien2222[/nom]Really? This is the news section, Origin announced, Toms reported, don't be such an ass.[/citation]
No, Toms regurgitates...get it right. :p

wortwortwort

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
The current design of the Big O has you paying $7799 (Yep) for:
i7 950 - $290
Asus Rampage III Extreme - $380
Kingston HyperX 1600 - $78-125 (CAS 9 or CAS 7)
GTX 580 x 2 - $1060
Liquid Cooling - ~500 (rough estimate)
Silverstone 1500W - $380 (Overkill)
Bluray burner - ~ 80
Creative Fata1ity - $150
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB x2 - $250
WD Caviar Black - $180
Window 7 - $100
Case - $300 (About as high as reasonable for a case)
Xbox 360 (yep) - $200

That comes to a total of $3605

From this estimate, it would seem that they charge 116% to assemble it. That is ridiculous in the extreme.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]wortwortwort[/nom]The current design of the Big O has you paying $7799 (Yep) for:i7 950 - $290Asus Rampage III Extreme - $380Kingston HyperX 1600 - $78-125 (CAS 9 or CAS 7)GTX 580 x 2 - $1060Liquid Cooling - ~500 (rough estimate)Silverstone 1500W - $380 (Overkill)Bluray burner - ~ 80Creative Fata1ity - $150OCZ Vertex 2 50GB x2 - $250WD Caviar Black - $180Window 7 - $100Case - $300 (About as high as reasonable for a case)Xbox 360 (yep) - $200That comes to a total of $3605From this estimate, it would seem that they charge 116% to assemble it. That is ridiculous in the extreme.[/citation]

looks like someone from origin voted you down

Shuge1

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
Hitting 5ghz on an i7/i5 isnt that impresive...they do 4.8, 4.9 on air...so on water the clocks should be much higher

Evolution2001

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
[citation][nom]wortwortwort[/nom]The current design of the Big O has you paying $7799 (Yep) ...That comes to a total of $3605.
From this estimate, it would seem that they charge 116% to assemble it. That is ridiculous in the extreme.[/citation]While I have no interest in such an expensive system, you need to look at other factors. You aren't just paying for them to assemble components. They have to be compensated for their time researching components, compatibility, benchtesting, offering a warranty/support, advertising, payroll, and everything else that goes into running a business.
Same philosophy applies to pretty much any manufacturing process. Do you really think it costs $250K in "materials only" to build an exotic sports or luxury car? Of course not. You're also paying for all the R&D that went in to the product. And, yes, for some exclusivity. And then on top of all that, no one runs a business to "break even", so there's the markup so they can make a profit. No profit = No business. No business = No product.
What I listed are just a few of the things (re: "overhead") that the home enthusiast doesn't have to contend with.

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
[citation][nom]Evolution2001[/nom]While I have no interest in such an expensive system, you need to look at other factors. You aren't just paying for them to assemble components. They have to be compensated for their time researching components, compatibility, benchtesting, offering a warranty/support, advertising, payroll, and everything else that goes into running a business.Same philosophy applies to pretty much any manufacturing process. Do you really think it costs $250K in "materials only" to build an exotic sports or luxury car? Of course not. You're also paying for all the R&D that went in to the product. And, yes, for some exclusivity. And then on top of all that, no one runs a business to "break even", so there's the markup so they can make a profit. No profit = No business. No business = No product.What I listed are just a few of the things (re: "overhead") that the home enthusiast doesn't have to contend with.[/citation]

standard business model works on a 35% margin to account for overhead and profit. so that would put it at around %5550 or so for a completed system.

if you can't cover labor+overhead on around $1900 per machine then you deserve to go out of business. that or you should start working for apple

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]rpgplayer[/nom]standard business model works on a 35% margin to account for overhead and profit. so that would put it at around %5550 or so for a completed system.if you can't cover labor+overhead on around $1900 per machine then you deserve to go out of business. that or you should start working for apple[/citation]

Which regulating body came up with a 35% margin for a "standard business model"? It's really stupid to have any fixed margin, you adjust your prices for your own maximum benefit, if it's a 500% margin and it works then that's a great business model, way better than 35% or whatever the "standard" is.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
The problem is that the 2600 is just a quad-core. In any game that runs for 4+ cores is gets surpassed by either the X6 or the i7. For gaming 2500K is the chip.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]ginnai[/nom]Without benchmark comparisons, 5+ gigs doesn't really mean much to me. This ad seems to appeals to only the wealthiest and most easily impressed. Air cooling is significantly cheaper (and less prone to leak lethal fluids onto my components) and offers plenty of OCing; my system is OC'ed 25% and idles 8 degrees above ambient.[/citation]

I believe the radiator fluids used in computer applications are non-conductive. But ya, the point remains, I've always done air cooling just a whole lot less of everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.