Original AIW Radeon, adding 2nd monitor?

does anyone have a setup with the original AIW Radeon (AGP) and then
another card running a 2nd monitor?

does it work? what kind of card do i need as my 2nd card? can i drag and
drop items between monitors (ie: photoshop pallettes on one monitor, canvas
on another)??

thanks for any advice.

regards,
gm

Yuki

"Good Man" <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote in message
> does anyone have a setup with the original AIW Radeon (AGP) and then
> another card running a 2nd monitor?
>
> does it work? what kind of card do i need as my 2nd card? can i drag
and
> drop items between monitors (ie: photoshop pallettes on one monitor,
canvas
> on another)??
>
> thanks for any advice.
>
> regards,
> gm

I have an old AIW Radeon PCI as my primary, Nvidia AGP card as my secondary.
I am running WinXP (was Win2k) pro. Simply choose the "extend my desktop"
option to double your desktop width.
It was not hard to set up the drivers & software (Cat 4.4 & MMC 9.0), maybe
I am just lucky.

In your case, you would have to find a PCI video card to run as your
secondary video.
Ebay is probably your best bet, unless you live in an area where stores
like Fry's is around.

I wonder what would happen if I replace my Nvidia card with an AIW AGP card.
Would I still be able to use two tuners?

yuki

A better setup would be ATI video card such as 9800 pro which support dual
monitors, then add a TV tuner card.

"Good Man" <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote in message
> does anyone have a setup with the original AIW Radeon (AGP) and then
> another card running a 2nd monitor?
>
> does it work? what kind of card do i need as my 2nd card? can i drag
and
> drop items between monitors (ie: photoshop pallettes on one monitor,
canvas
> on another)??
>
> thanks for any advice.
>
> regards,
> gm

you loaded driver and software for both video cards? there is no conflict?
That is a very interesting setup.

"I discuss" <lleaf-delete.this-@hotmail.com> wrote in

> A better setup would be ATI video card such as 9800 pro which support
> dual monitors, then add a TV tuner card.

yeah, but my computer is a 1.4 Athlon, the MoBo is old, and ideally i'd
like to add a 2nd monitor, not have to buy a whole new computer system.
the 9800 is overkill for what i need.

The point is not to use 9800, the point is to use a video card that support
dual monitors, and use a PCI TV tuner card to realize TV function.

> "I discuss" <lleaf-delete.this-@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
> > A better setup would be ATI video card such as 9800 pro which support
> > dual monitors, then add a TV tuner card.
>
> yeah, but my computer is a 1.4 Athlon, the MoBo is old, and ideally i'd
> like to add a 2nd monitor, not have to buy a whole new computer system.
> the 9800 is overkill for what i need.

AIW 9800pro + Ati rage PCI II+

works, but MMC does not work, and tuner can't be accessed by ani TV tuner
software, because that PCI card has to be initialised first (Boot first
option in bios), and it is then considered the primary card in windows.

--
v.

"Vedran Parac" <vMAKNI_OVO@mail.inet.hr> wrote in news:c6u7ii$g9gfm$1@ID-
130789.news.uni-berlin.de:

> AIW 9800pro + Ati rage PCI II+
>
> works, but MMC does not work, and tuner can't be accessed by ani TV tuner
> software, because that PCI card has to be initialised first (Boot first
> option in bios), and it is then considered the primary card in windows.

why do you have to set the PCI to be the main card in the BIOS? can't you
set the AGP as your main card and have all your problems fixed?

I'm running a Radeon 7200 (VIVO) as primary and a Cirrus L:eek:gic 5446 PCI as
secondary.

The Cirrus is new to system so that I could finally rid myself of the bs
involved in instead using an Xpert98 for secondary display. My one peice of
advice is to avoid using two ATI cards to achieve your needs. The drivers
tend to walk all over themselves and in fact I couldn't update any of the
Radeon's software as it seemed unable to detect the card in the system if
the Xpert98 was physically present also.

The Cirrus has turned out to be a much better choice as among other things,
it's not a 3d accelerated card so it doesn't demand an interrupt and games
don't get "confused" by having to choose which to use :) The fact it's also
listed in "displays.txt" (that Windows provides as a readme after install)
as one that works "out of the box" and using Windows default drivers is
another big plus.

"Good Man" <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote in message
> "I discuss" <lleaf-delete.this-@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
> > A better setup would be ATI video card such as 9800 pro which support
> > dual monitors, then add a TV tuner card.
>
> yeah, but my computer is a 1.4 Athlon, the MoBo is old, and ideally i'd
> like to add a 2nd monitor, not have to buy a whole new computer system.
> the 9800 is overkill for what i need.

> why do you have to set the PCI to be the main card in the BIOS? can't you
> set the AGP as your main card and have all your problems fixed?

the PCI card doesn't work at all, if it's not set up that way. It probably
wasn't designed to be able to work in multi g-card system. I think similar
issues might occur with other older PCI vga cards.
Maybe a newer nvidia TNT PCI card might do the trick, but I'm not willing to
risk 40$ to try it.

--
v.

Andy

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/search.asp
Under Windows 2000 and XP, I've used the 3dfx Voodoo3 2000 and nVidia
GeForce2 MX 400 as secondary video cards.