Question OS drive replacement

Sep 12, 2024
I have a mini pc with a M.2 nvme drive used for the OS (Proxmox) and another SATA drive used to store VMs on that machine.
I have found that the nvme drive I used is not big enough and I have also partitioned it inefficiently, so I bought a new, larger one to replace it.
My question is, if I remove both existing drives, and do a clean install of a new Proxmox OS on the new drive, will I later be able to put the old drives back and continue running the old installation (just in case something goes wrong with the new install)?
Or will something in the hardware be overridden by the new installation?

I have a mini pc with a M.2 nvme drive used for the OS (Proxmox) and another SATA drive used to store VMs on that machine.
I have found that the nvme drive I used is not big enough and I have also partitioned it inefficiently, so I bought a new, larger one to replace it.
My question is, if I remove both existing drives, and do a clean install of a new Proxmox OS on the new drive, will I later be able to put the old drives back and continue running the old installation (just in case something goes wrong with the new install)?
Or will something in the hardware be overridden by the new installation?
If you stick to same type of drive but larger capacity and clone OS to it, don't see what problems you can have. If you do clean installation without old drive(s) present it wouldn't change anything to old drives and you would be able to connect and use them again as in dual boot.