OSD Menu Sudden Pop-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

SallieMaie

Reputable
Aug 30, 2014
I have a Asus VW266(H), whose brightness menu all of a sudden, pops up and increases its value to 100%. What might cause that? I've had the monitor since 2010 and am running Win 7 Pro.

Solution
I had the same problem and tried all the above to reset and purge the monitor's cache to no effect, but this worked for me and solved the problem.

You can solve this if your monitor is out of warranty, you are adventurous and not afraid to do a bit of dismantling!

I UNPLUGGED ALL CABLES then removed the stand and its stem and found a rubber grommet with a "void if removed" sticker on top. I removed this and the grommet to find a little screw that locked the monitor bezel in place. I removed this and with a guitar plectrum, I prized the bezel off. Behind the buttons, there is a circuit board containing all the switched. Carefully pull out the cable then remove the board from its holders. Pull these gently away from the board to...

TecnologiaHabito

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
Sounds like you may have a faulty switch, but here are some steps I would try:

1. (In case you haven't already), check to see if there's something close to your monitor that could be pressed against the menu button.

2. Reset your monitor to factory settings. This can usually be done by opening your monitor's OSD menu and selecting "Reset all Settings." Or, unplug your monitor from your computer and hold the power button for 30 - 60 seconds. This should also reset your screen.

3. Lock the screen. Depending on the source of this problem, locking the screen may keep the OSD menu from appearing. Locking the screen is usually done by holding the menu button for 10 - 15 seconds. A padlock or similar icon may appear once it is locked.
If the problem is the result of a faulty switch, the padlock icon may pop up instead of the OSD menu, but the brightness won't increase anymore.

4. To eliminate the possibility of this issue relating to your computer, unplug the monitor from your computer and see if the OSD menu continues to "pop up". It if continues, you might want to consider purchasing a new screen.

SallieMaie

Reputable
Aug 30, 2014
Thanks, TecnologiaHabito. After taking all your suggestions, it turned out to be the monitor itself has a bad circuit board located at the front bottom of the screen, causing those buttons to "stick".

Weird. Did you get it fixed or replaced?

abulkeek

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014
I had the same problem and tried all the above to reset and purge the monitor's cache to no effect, but this worked for me and solved the problem.

You can solve this if your monitor is out of warranty, you are adventurous and not afraid to do a bit of dismantling!

I UNPLUGGED ALL CABLES then removed the stand and its stem and found a rubber grommet with a "void if removed" sticker on top. I removed this and the grommet to find a little screw that locked the monitor bezel in place. I removed this and with a guitar plectrum, I prized the bezel off. Behind the buttons, there is a circuit board containing all the switched. Carefully pull out the cable then remove the board from its holders. Pull these gently away from the board to release it. Once the board was removed, I tested all the buttons and found the Menu button stuck/jammed in. It seemed quite likely that this would be the fault that had to be rectified and tested. This is when my trusted WD40 spray can came into play. I soaked all the switched with WD40 pressing the buttons especially the Menu. After soaking the buttons for about 10 minutes, I reassembled the monitor and Hey Presto! Perfectly working.

Try this at your own risk.....obviously.

Reactions: Maguita
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.