OSX Mountain Lion Coming Next Month for $20

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Yeah just like MS does but Apple only Charges $20, what do you pay for you MS OS?[/citation]

I can install a new motherboard, or buy a used laptop or even install it on a new computer. Windows does not care. Macs well.. Buy another mac to upgrade your hardware??

G

I normally don't get into this madness, but I will say that as a devoted multi-system/OS user: 2 Windows 8 Machines, 1 Windows 7 Machine, current Mini with Lion, HP Touchpad with dual boot WebOS/ICS, Panther iMac G4, Tiger Powerbook G4, iPhone 4 with iOS 6 beta, iPhone 3GS iOS 5, and original iPhone I think with iOS 3, I believe some people need to grow up. I have worked in IT for about 15years now for the feds and work in IT Policy and Planning. I remember when the Atari was considered a great gaming system, I remember those big ole 5.25 floppys, and who can forget AOL dial up? LOL I never thought we would be at this point where I can tell my Xbox to search for something, put 16 GB of DDR3 in my PC, or have my iPhone and Mac share information simultaneously.

Every product I have used and do use to include Linux, which I think is fast and awesome but not a good fit for my family's needs has it's pro's and con's. OSX pisses me off with stupid stuff like scrolling the mouse down is actually up and vice versa, or how I can't game on it because it takes forever for a OSX version or the graphics are limited. Windows, well not since Win7, has been love hate throughout. Win98ME and Vista standout in my mind. I love Win8 btw.

I used to think Apple products sucked and were overpriced. Well they are still too expensive. Then I got an iPhone. That was the only sin I promised to commit. Then last year I got a Mac Mini and convinced myself it was so I can learn Objective C and create and app that never happened. Then this year someone gave me their old G4's and I will say that the old G4's at least for basic MS Word and Surfing the net is stupid fast for a decade old machine.

Now I know for a fact that there is no way I could whip out an old Dell and expect similar results. Also, my Mini minus the graphics, even though it's only 7 inches never makes a sound and rarely gets warm moves just as fast and faster in some cases than my PC with a (don't laugh) FX-4100 OC'ed to 4.3ghz, 16GB DDR3, and 1GB 6770. I will admit that my PC is much faster now with Win8 release preview. My point is that my PC should make my Mac beg for mercy. It has the i5, 8GB, Intel 3000 graphics config. Granted I can't play Crysis on it like I can my PC, but it's pretty close in most things like photoshop CS5 for instance.

I guess what I'm saying is that for a person who isn't a techie, who doesn't like to swap out video cards, ram, motherboards, cases, etc. and doesn't need to play Crysis or Arkham City, the Mac from my experience, even with the 2002 iMac G4 are very good machines.

Steve's idea to match software with the hardware is proving in my house that even with outdated hardware, Apple is able to squeeze out a lot of performance. My PC parts are cheaper, but I have to over compensate to compete and the ease of use out the box...well as they say, it really does just work.

As an IT Consultant I tell customers to not buy into hype, brand loyalty, rumor, or flaming. Go by use case scenario. What do you need the tech for, how much can you afford, etc.?

Apple is successful IMO because unlike Microsoft which Bill admitted wants to be all things for everyone, Apple focuses on the majority. Most end users don't even know what overclocking is. They want to pick up a phone, tablet, or PC and it do what they want as quick and easy as possible out the box.

Anyone who can't see how Apple excels at this is willfully ignorant and only a fanboy/partisan can ignore how well their claims meet reality.

Each product, OS, etc. has to meet a certain use case. ICS is great, but it's difficult to adapt to for most consumers and Android in general is too fragmented. MS will take #2 spot soon. Win8 is damn good, but the switching back and forth might confuse some but will likely win in the end.

In the end I use everything for every reason. EXCEPT for Sony Playstation. Here I'm a hypocrite. They killed Sega and for that, I will never buy one! LOL

Let our reason be our guide, not passion and heresay. Go to the Apple Store and toy around with a Macbook Pro, bring your best Windows Machine Laptop and then with a straight face say that you can see no value in Apple's products. You would be a liar.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
You sir have lost me. Too many various on a time scale that was true, not true, and now, probably doesn't even matter, as so much has changed in this industry.

marthisdil

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
[citation][nom]K2N hater[/nom]The trolling only proves ignorance. Both OSX and Windows are crap considering the resources their companies have. Linux isn't growing strong for having thousands (millions?) of developers and testers worldwide but because Microsoft and Apple didn't invest in innovation, ease to use and optimization the way they could have.Side note: it's possible to install OSX onto a non-Apple homebuilt PC.[/citation]
Linux is going nowhere really, simply because you can't run games and popular apps. And please, don't try and sell us on how OSS has equivalents that work as well as commercial software. GIMP isn't anywhere near as good as PS...or heck, Paint.NET even. Sure, game s(some of them) run under WINE...but most people at home don't care about trying to make it work.

Linux gave up the ghost on the home user front long ago. It's great for servers...bout it.

marthisdil

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... thanks to windows 8, it's will be a good year for apple...[/citation]Lol nah - people will just sit on Win 7 like they did with XP when Vista came out...no news here.

marthisdil

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Yeah just like MS does but Apple only Charges $20, what do you pay for you MS OS?[/citation]
Bout $30 initially when you buy the machine, and all updates and service packs are free. Your point?

marthisdil

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
[citation][nom]rsalaam[/nom]Then this year someone gave me their old G4's and I will say that the old G4's at least for basic MS Word and Surfing the net is stupid fast for a decade old machine.Now I know for a fact that there is no way I could whip out an old Dell and expect similar results.[/citation]Funny - Could boot up a release date Windows XP machine and it'd run just fine. If you couldn't do that, then you're a moron. Perhaps that's why you work for the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.