OTish: what's going on with my time!!!

scotoma

Distinguished
May 26, 2002

Hi all

This is doing my nut in! My clock has started to go slow. 1hr 12mins
yesterday and now today it is 4:26AM when it should be 2:41PM GMT. The date
is correct.
The BIOS displays the same wrong time but as you will see, my posts are
displayed with the correct time.
I set the correct time online yesterday but a few times I got it set it
reported "The time sample was rejected because: The peer's stratum is less
than the hosts stratum" error on the time.windows.com server and the
time.nist.gv server. I have also downloaded and applied the atomic clock
sync proggy.

I have just LAN my XP system up to a win98se system. The XP machine is the
internet gateway. The time and date on the win98se system is correct.

Is it the battery? The mobo is about 18months old and I've reset the cmos
with the jumpers 3 times.

Is it this LAN I have set up that is causing the time failure?

Scotoma

scotoma

Distinguished
May 26, 2002

"Scotoma" <me@play.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> This is doing my nut in! My clock has started to go slow. 1hr 12mins
> yesterday and now today it is 4:26AM when it should be 2:41PM GMT. The
date
> is correct.
> The BIOS displays the same wrong time but as you will see, my posts are
> displayed with the correct time.
> I set the correct time online yesterday but a few times I got it set it
> reported "The time sample was rejected because: The peer's stratum is less
> than the hosts stratum" error on the time.windows.com server and the
> time.nist.gv server. I have also downloaded and applied the atomic clock
> sync proggy.
>

> I have just LAN my XP system up to a win98se system. The XP machine is the
> internet gateway. The time and date on the win98se system is correct.
>
> Is it the battery? The mobo is about 18months old and I've reset the cmos
> with the jumpers 3 times.
>
> Is it this LAN I have set up that is causing the time failure?
>

> Scotoma

The time for my OP is correct but my clock is at 4:40?
Whats going on? lol. Thanks if you can.

Scotoma

jad

if the bios shows the wrong time then I would say its the battery,
however your posts time correct and system clock being incorrect is
kind of weird unless your news server corrects time?...That would be
unusual. Do you have the time zone selected correctly, did it change?
There was a virus a long while back that did malisious things to the
clock...but that was sometime ago. I have heard of some software that
can cause some clock anomalies, (macromedia coldfusion comes to mind).