Outlook Express 6 and messages in a file

I was reading your posts about news group messages and thought you might have
the answer.
My husband left me a DBX file with messages in it. I cannot seem to open
it, import it to Outlook Express 6 or anything else but perhaps curse it.
Any ideas on how I can get a look at these messages.

Where did your husband get the file? The associated Folder.dbx file from the
original location of your DBX needs to be present in the same folder in
order for Import to work. Folders.dbx is what the Import tool looks for,
first, to tell it all about other DBX files in the folder and provide you
with a list of possibilities. If you can get to that Folders.dbx, copy it to
the same folder where your target DBX is located.

This should work (I just successfully tested the idea, but you never know.)
-- Open Outlook Express (OE).
-- Right-click on Local Folders in the Folders pane and create a new folder.
Name it *exactly* the same as your DBX file, sans the .DBX extension.
-- Open your Inbox and right-click any message, then choose Copy to
Folder... and copy it to the new folder (there needs to be at least one
message in a folder before OE will create a file for it.)
-- Go to Tools->Options->Maintenance tab and click on Store Folder button.
Write down the current path to your DBX store folder.
-- Exit OE and then use Windows Explorer to get to the Store Folder path you
previously wrote down.
--Copy your DBX file to that folder and confirm the overwrite.
--Open OE. Voila!

Please let us know how it turned out.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Bad Outlook" <Bad Outlook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was reading your posts about news group messages and thought you might
>have
> the answer.
> My husband left me a DBX file with messages in it. I cannot seem to open
> it, import it to Outlook Express 6 or anything else but perhaps curse it.
> Any ideas on how I can get a look at these messages.

That saved me hours and hours. Thank you so much.

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Where did your husband get the file? The associated Folder.dbx file from the
> original location of your DBX needs to be present in the same folder in
> order for Import to work. Folders.dbx is what the Import tool looks for,
> first, to tell it all about other DBX files in the folder and provide you
> with a list of possibilities. If you can get to that Folders.dbx, copy it to
> the same folder where your target DBX is located.
>
> This should work (I just successfully tested the idea, but you never know.)
> -- Open Outlook Express (OE).
> -- Right-click on Local Folders in the Folders pane and create a new folder.
> Name it *exactly* the same as your DBX file, sans the .DBX extension.
> -- Open your Inbox and right-click any message, then choose Copy to
> Folder... and copy it to the new folder (there needs to be at least one
> message in a folder before OE will create a file for it.)
> -- Go to Tools->Options->Maintenance tab and click on Store Folder button.
> Write down the current path to your DBX store folder.
> -- Exit OE and then use Windows Explorer to get to the Store Folder path you
> previously wrote down.
> --Copy your DBX file to that folder and confirm the overwrite.
> --Open OE. Voila!
>
> Please let us know how it turned out.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>

> "Bad Outlook" <Bad Outlook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I was reading your posts about news group messages and thought you might
> >have
> > the answer.
> > My husband left me a DBX file with messages in it. I cannot seem to open
> > it, import it to Outlook Express 6 or anything else but perhaps curse it.
> > Any ideas on how I can get a look at these messages.

You're welcome! I take it my little impromptu experiment worked for you too.

--

> That saved me hours and hours. Thank you so much.
>

> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
>> Where did your husband get the file? The associated Folder.dbx file from
>> the
>> original location of your DBX needs to be present in the same folder in
>> order for Import to work. Folders.dbx is what the Import tool looks for,
>> first, to tell it all about other DBX files in the folder and provide you
>> with a list of possibilities. If you can get to that Folders.dbx, copy it
>> the same folder where your target DBX is located.
>>
>> This should work (I just successfully tested the idea, but you never
>> know.)
>> -- Open Outlook Express (OE).
>> -- Right-click on Local Folders in the Folders pane and create a new
>> folder.
>> Name it *exactly* the same as your DBX file, sans the .DBX extension.
>> -- Open your Inbox and right-click any message, then choose Copy to
>> Folder... and copy it to the new folder (there needs to be at least one
>> message in a folder before OE will create a file for it.)
>> -- Go to Tools->Options->Maintenance tab and click on Store Folder
>> button.
>> Write down the current path to your DBX store folder.
>> -- Exit OE and then use Windows Explorer to get to the Store Folder path
>> you
>> previously wrote down.
>> --Copy your DBX file to that folder and confirm the overwrite.
>> --Open OE. Voila!
>>
>> Please let us know how it turned out.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>

>> "Bad Outlook" <Bad Outlook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I was reading your posts about news group messages and thought you might
>> >have
>> > the answer.
>> > My husband left me a DBX file with messages in it. I cannot seem to
>> > open
>> > it, import it to Outlook Express 6 or anything else but perhaps curse
>> > it.
>> > Any ideas on how I can get a look at these messages.

Importing a single DBX file
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importdbx
http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx (last paragraph)
--
OE6-specific newsgroup:
OE General newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Bad Outlook wrote:
> I was reading your posts about news group messages and thought you might
> have the answer.
> My husband left me a DBX file with messages in it. I cannot seem to open
> it, import it to Outlook Express 6 or anything else but perhaps curse it.
> Any ideas on how I can get a look at these messages.

Thanks PA but Gary gave me the perfect answer. I will look it up next time.
I was at the end of my rope but Gary managed to tie a knot it for me.

"PA Bear" wrote:

> Importing a single DBX file
> http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importdbx
> http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx (last paragraph)
> --
> OE6-specific newsgroup:
> OE General newsgroup:
>
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
>
> Bad Outlook wrote:
> > I was reading your posts about news group messages and thought you might
> > have the answer.
> > My husband left me a DBX file with messages in it. I cannot seem to open
> > it, import it to Outlook Express 6 or anything else but perhaps curse it.
> > Any ideas on how I can get a look at these messages.

LOL! I figured those guys had already figured that one out. I'm kind of
surprised that my current cerebral processes provided the Aha! that led me
to the same solution. (Such Aha!s are happening less & less frequently these
days.)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> Importing a single DBX file
> http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importdbx
> http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx (last paragraph)
> --
> OE6-specific newsgroup:
> OE General newsgroup:
>
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
>
> Bad Outlook wrote:
>> I was reading your posts about news group messages and thought you might
>> have the answer.
>> My husband left me a DBX file with messages in it. I cannot seem to open
>> it, import it to Outlook Express 6 or anything else but perhaps curse it.
>> Any ideas on how I can get a look at these messages.

Gary I must admit that the word "sans" had me going. Thanks again I guess if
I had looked over the entire world wide web I might of found the answer
without your help LOL

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> LOL! I figured those guys had already figured that one out. I'm kind of
> surprised that my current cerebral processes provided the Aha! that led me
> to the same solution. (Such Aha!s are happening less & less frequently these
> days.)
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User

> > Importing a single DBX file
> > http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importdbx
> > http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx (last paragraph)
> > --
> > OE6-specific newsgroup:
> > OE General newsgroup:
> >
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
> >
> > Bad Outlook wrote:
> >> I was reading your posts about news group messages and thought you might
> >> have the answer.
> >> My husband left me a DBX file with messages in it. I cannot seem to open
> >> it, import it to Outlook Express 6 or anything else but perhaps curse it.
> >> Any ideas on how I can get a look at these messages.

It's essentially the same procedure, but I think mine's a bit more
"elegant", <eg>.

--

> Thanks PA but Gary gave me the perfect answer. I will look it up next
> time.
> I was at the end of my rope but Gary managed to tie a knot it for me.
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>
>> Importing a single DBX file
>> http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importdbx
>> http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx (last paragraph)
>> --
>> OE6-specific newsgroup:
>> OE General newsgroup:
>>
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
>>
>> Bad Outlook wrote:
>> > I was reading your posts about news group messages and thought you
>> > might
>> > have the answer.
>> > My husband left me a DBX file with messages in it. I cannot seem to
>> > open
>> > it, import it to Outlook Express 6 or anything else but perhaps curse
>> > it.
>> > Any ideas on how I can get a look at these messages.

www.dictionary.com

<s>

--

> Gary I must admit that the word "sans" had me going. Thanks again I guess
> if
> I had looked over the entire world wide web I might of found the answer
> without your help LOL
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
>> LOL! I figured those guys had already figured that one out. I'm kind of
>> surprised that my current cerebral processes provided the Aha! that led
>> me
>> to the same solution. (Such Aha!s are happening less & less frequently
>> these
>> days.)
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>
>> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Importing a single DBX file
>> > http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importdbx
>> > http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx (last paragraph)
>> > --
>> > OE6-specific newsgroup:
>> > OE General newsgroup:
>> >
>> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

You had to think about it then type it out. I just summoned up a Canned
Response and...

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> It's essentially the same procedure, but I think mine's a bit more
> "elegant", <eg>.
>

> "Bad Outlook" <BadOutlook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks PA but Gary gave me the perfect answer. I will look it up next
> > time.
> > I was at the end of my rope but Gary managed to tie a knot it for me.
> >
> > "PA Bear" wrote:
> >
> > > Importing a single DBX file
> > > http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importdbx
> > > http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx (last paragraph)
> > > --
> > > OE6-specific newsgroup:
> > > OE General newsgroup:
> > >
> > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

Believe me, my brain needs all the exercise it can get these days!

Really, don't you think that my method of naming the new folder in OE using
the same name as the DBX file is more elegant than renaming the file, and
then later renaming the OE folder?

Huh? Huh? Honest, I need all the backpats I can get.

KELLY! Any news?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> You had to think about it then type it out. I just summoned up a Canned
> Response and...
>
> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>> It's essentially the same procedure, but I think mine's a bit more
>> "elegant", <eg>.

Here is a great station that used to be based in New Orleans but are now in
Jackson pretty raw but real.
http://www.kcra.com/video/4907831/detail.html

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> Believe me, my brain needs all the exercise it can get these days!
>
> Really, don't you think that my method of naming the new folder in OE
> using the same name as the DBX file is more elegant than renaming the
> file, and then later renaming the OE folder?
>
> Huh? Huh? Honest, I need all the backpats I can get.

<pats Gary on head> Good MVP! Wanna cookie?

> KELLY! Any news?

Nope, no word on Kelly et famille. Their local paper in Houma:
http://www.houmatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

Terri's started a forum thread about them:
http://www.houmatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/news_message?Category=FORUMS&ThemeID=1414&GroupID=41944&InReplyTo=513364

Requires Cookies and...

UserName: mickeymouse@mailinator.com
PW: junky
(from http://bugmenot.com)

From other recent posts there:

<QP>
I READ ALOT OF PEOPLE CAN'T FIND FAMILY MEMBERS....I LIVE IN HOUMA...WE
SUFFERED A FEW DAYS W/ NO LIGHTS...MOST GOT THEM ON TODAY...A FEW HOUSES
HAVE TREES ON THEM.....NOTHING MAJOR.......OUR PHONES ARE STILL
DOWN.....IT'S HARD TO CALL OUT......NO CELL PHONES EITHER......COMMUNICATION
IS HARD.....BUT WE ARE SURVIVING......IF YOUR FAMILY HASNT CALLED THEY
PROBELY CAN'T.....WE ARE MORE WORRIED ABOUT WHERE THE NEXT ICE TRUCK IS
COMING OR GAS TRUCKS.......WE HAD NO DEATHS.......MINOR FLOODING AND MORE
WIND DAMAGE THAN ANYTHING........JUST PRAY FOR NEW ORLEANS .....THEY NEED
ALL THEY CAN GET......GOD BLESS YOU...........BRANDI

Houma is doing just fine. A little wind damage in some areas and none in
others. Most of Houma is still without power which means if they have
cordless phones, they will not ring. Some areas do have phone lines down as
well. Cell phones are hit and miss on getting a signal. But NO deathes or
major injuries were reported due to storm. Hope this helps. Hell even
WAL-Mart on the East side is open---GO Figure.
</QP>

Lack of internet access (Rogers Cable, I believe) must be driving her up a
wall, God bless her.
--
~Robear

> <pats Gary on head> Good MVP! Wanna cookie?

I didn't know that Bears patted except to show a friendly love for a meal!

He's my pet Bear. Didn't you know?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> He's my pet Bear. Didn't you know?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "jkb" <nospam> wrote in message news:uJ0eKSrrFHA.308@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >> <pats Gary on head> Good MVP! Wanna cookie?
> >
> > I didn't know that Bears patted except to show a friendly love for a meal!

Looks like I left before the fun started.
I too have friends in the mess. It is a hard thing to do, wait.
Pats Gary's spare tire.
Gives bear a bowl of porridge so he to can have a spare tire.

jkb wrote:
> > <pats Gary on head> Good MVP! Wanna cookie?
>
> I didn't know that Bears patted except to show a friendly love for a meal!

Nah, GAry'd be too stringy to eat.

ROFLMAO!!!

Hey, since last time you saw me, I've developed a spare tire. The rest of me
is still built like a string bean, of course. Just get goofier and goofier
looking as time goes by.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> jkb wrote:
>> > <pats Gary on head> Good MVP! Wanna cookie?
>>
>> I didn't know that Bears patted except to show a friendly love for a
>> meal!
>
> Nah, GAry'd be too stringy to eat.

> Hey, since last time you saw me, I've developed a spare tire. The rest of
me
> is still built like a string bean, of course. Just get goofier and goofier
> looking as time goes by.

Bears might eat spare tyres?

> He's my pet Bear. Didn't you know?

Is he on a leash?

Heck no! He'd be yanking my arm off every time someone like you came near
;<)

No, Pa Bear is a free agent. I just trained him, <eg>.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"jkb" <nospam> wrote in message news:OlAs8SxrFHA.332@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> He's my pet Bear. Didn't you know?
>
> Is he on a leash?

> Heck no! He'd be yanking my arm off every time someone like you came near
> ;<)

Am I a scary type? Or just anti-bear, well I guess I don't bear up with
them. :)

> No, Pa Bear is a free agent. I just trained him, <eg>.

Using a chair and a whip?

"jkb" <nospam> wrote in message
>> Heck no! He'd be yanking my arm off every time someone like you came near
>> ;<)
>
> Am I a scary type? Or just anti-bear, well I guess I don't bear up with
> them. :)

He's just friendly... Trust me, <eg>.

>> No, Pa Bear is a free agent. I just trained him, <eg>.
>
> Using a chair and a whip?

Yup! I sat in the chair, then gave him the whip and pointed him to the NGs.
"Sic 'em!"

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User