News Outpost: Infinity Siege' devs ask 13900K, 14900K owners to downclock their chips to prevent crashing

Apr 1, 2020
The developer's recommendation to reduce clock speeds on certain Raptor Lake and Raptor Lake Refresh CPUs might be a problem with Intel's hardware specifically

The problem boils down to how the power limits in BIOS are set automatically for most Raptor Lake-supported boards. Nearly all compatible motherboards automatically ramp up the power limit to 4096W (i.e infinity) to prevent any sort of performance loss from power throttling. This improves performance, but technically this is not actually within official officiations of the chip.

So you, and by extension TomsHardware, is blaming Intel for a problem in a game where the cause is the motherboard manufacturer setting the power limit out of Intel's spec even though you state the problem is with the motherboard?

Reactions: rluker5
So you, and by extension TomsHardware, is blaming Intel for a problem in a game where the cause is the motherboard manufacturer setting the power limit out of Intel's spec even though you state the problem is with the motherboard?
Yes as the stance Tom's editorial seems to be taking on this is because many enthusiast boards run this way and Intel will still cover the warranty this is an Intel problem. All of their Intel CPU tests are only run with unlimited power without any note regarding potential problems despite the fact that the Tom's GPU reviewer has run into these issues.

Reactions: jp7189 and coolitic

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Outpost: Infinity Siege is facing stability issues. The game's problems are so bad that the devs are asking Intel Core i9-13900K and 14900K owners to downclock their chips so they can play the game without crashing.

No. It's not up to us to modify our hardware/settings to accommodate you.

It's up to you to fix your software. If you want us to fix it, release your source code. JUST the source code, you don't have to release the artwork and other supporting media files.

That's the middle ground. Release the core source. You don't want to fix it, well, don't bother us until your work is done.

is blaming Intel for a problem in a game where the cause is the motherboard manufacturer setting the power limit out of Intel's spec even though you state the problem is with the motherboard?
they say intel hardware due to MB's bios.

They arent blaming Intel themself just their hardware under control of the bios.

It's not up to us to modify our hardware/settings to accommodate you.
ngl thats a bad take.

Unlike consoles every PC, even if its got same parts list down to the screws, can vary system to system.

Some people actually HAVE to modify their system to make them truly stable (and not just seemingly stable).

Should a game need you to change system to play? ideally not but it isnt first time however its nothing unheard of.

karma77police

Honorable
Sep 27, 2017
That is just bollocks. No reason to downclock the CPU here at all (14900k owner). I am not sure where they tested this game but this is completely incorrect. I can run Cinebench R23 and run any game at the same time, it runs fine. I have never seen a CPU running over 48C on any games including Cyberpunk 2077 and I doubt this game is more demanding than Cyberpunk 2077 which can pull a lot of power. And my power in the motherboard is set to unlimited. In general AMD CPUs run hotter in gaming than 13900k/14900k. As I said someone misinterpreted this or dev has a terrible setup they run on it. Please someone tell them not to run CPU with no cooling or Intel OEM cooling of $5.

Last edited:
Yes as the stance Tom's editorial seems to be taking on this is because many enthusiast boards run this way and Intel will still cover the warranty this is an Intel problem. All of their Intel CPU tests are only run with unlimited power without any note regarding potential problems despite the fact that the Tom's GPU reviewer has run into these issues.
This is a problem with some 13900K and 14900K CPUs. My CPU was affected, Paul's was not. I have only tested my CPU in a single motherboard, so I can't even say for certain that the problem is the CPU — it could be the motherboard. Tweaking the power limits to run at "Intel's actual stock settings" has cleared up my issues, again indicating that it's probably a motherboard BIOS settings issue for a lot of people.

Also worth noting is that the 13900K/14900K don't current rank our our list of the best CPUs, for a variety of reasons. The lower tier Raptor Lake chips are there, but not the Core i9. This has been the case for a while now.

1711671623023.png

This is a problem with some 13900K and 14900K CPUs. My CPU was affected, Paul's was not. I have only tested my CPU in a single motherboard, so I can't even say for certain that the problem is the CPU — it could be the motherboard. Tweaking the power limits to run at "Intel's actual stock settings" has cleared up my issues, again indicating that it's probably a motherboard BIOS settings issue for a lot of people.
Oh I understand that, but it's a widely known potential issue (seems to only affect the 253W parts) and it is not mentioned in CPU reviews on this site while the reviews only show unlimited power test results. It's a tacit endorsement of settings that are known to potentially have issues without any accompanying warning.

Reactions: NinoPino

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I don't have the game but no matter who is at fault here this is a horrible look for a game maker. Software updates to get it to work fine, but if you are not compatible with common motherboards for gamers with common cpus for gamers, no matter how weird they are....it's on you. Your game is not properly optimized or tested before release if this is true.

Reactions: ezst036
May 6, 2023
That is just bollocks. No reason to downclock the CPU here at all (14900k owner). I am not sure where they tested this game but this is completely incorrect. I can run Cinebench R23 and run any game at the same time, it runs fine. I have never seen a CPU running over 48C on any games including Cyberpunk 2077 and I doubt this game is more demanding than Cyberpunk 2077 which can pull a lot of power. And my power in the motherboard is set to unlimited. In general AMD CPUs run hotter in gaming than 13900k/14900k. As I said someone misinterpreted this or dev has a terrible setup they run on it. Please someone tell them not to run CPU with no cooling or Intel OEM cooling of $5.
Some games demand more compute power from CPU than GPU. This is clearly symptoms of trying to squeeze every bit of performance using uncapped power. In gaming, 13900k/14900k are simply trash compared to X3D parts from AMD. Draw more power for less performance at a higher price. If someone tell u otherwise, stop listening :)

Oh I understand that, but it's a widely known potential issue (seems to only affect the 253W parts) and it is not mentioned in CPU reviews on this site while the reviews only show unlimited power test results. It's a tacit endorsement of settings that are known to potentially have issues without any accompanying warning.
The thing is that it only affects certain CPUs and/or motherboards. No one experienced this in the initial reviews AFAIK, and Paul's CPUs are "fine." I got lucky or whatever with my combination. Seems like it might be something like 1~5 percent of 13900K/14900K impacted, but only Intel would really have that data. I may see about reaching out and requesting a replacement CPU, though I do want to do some additional testing (on a different mobo) to see if the issue is the chip or the mobo.

Amdlova

Distinguished
Stop intel fanboism. These cpu it's a nuclear reactor and the motherboards help it. My h670 board comes with that 4096w but using the cpu super locked version can't do nothing. Even when put the intel specs the motherboard ignores and spend alot more than the recommended energy.

Reactions: NinoPino

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
My guess is that even if the cpu seems stable, it might be returning minimally incorrect data. And the game is stupidly delicate that this data makes it crash.

It is still dumb as hell. I'm a 13900k and I crash on the first cutscene.
Set the OS to powersaver plan.. and it works without issue XD

TheHerald

Proper
Feb 15, 2024
The thing is that it only affects certain CPUs and/or motherboards. No one experienced this in the initial reviews AFAIK, and Paul's CPUs are "fine." I got lucky or whatever with my combination. Seems like it might be something like 1~5 percent of 13900K/14900K impacted, but only Intel would really have that data. I may see about reaching out and requesting a replacement CPU, though I do want to do some additional testing (on a different mobo) to see if the issue is the chip or the mobo.
Did you use a lower end mobo? Maybe VRMs are suspect, if they can't handle rapid changes in power delivery requirements they might droop a lot and cause crashes.

Appears to be game specific. The solution seems very clear to me.
It's only game specific because it's a very specific set of things that need to happen for this to show up.
It's a general problem with auto overclocking being too aggressive.
This problem is very old but in the past it was only overvolting which would degrade a lot of CPUs, with people wondering why they don't get the same clocks with the same settings anymore and need to adjust vcore up or clocks down, over a long period of time, except for the x3d chips that would blow up right away.

NinoPino

Prominent
May 26, 2022
The problem is not in "a game" but in lot of games. Maybe the problem is in motherboards and not in the processor but why Intel do not impose manufacturers to set a proper power limit ?
Oh, yes, because it is convenient to have better results in benchmarks also if this can cause instability (this makes me remember of PIII).

Reactions: bit_user

NinoPino

Prominent
May 26, 2022
No. It's not up to us to modify our hardware/settings to accommodate you.

It's up to you to fix your software. If you want us to fix it, release your source code. JUST the source code, you don't have to release the artwork and other supporting media files.

That's the middle ground. Release the core source. You don't want to fix it, well, don't bother us until your work is done.
Only if it is a software problem. For the part of unlimited power in motherboard is up to you to modify your settings.

Reactions: bit_user