draucia

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
This will be my first build, and I had a few questions about the outside build.

Can someone tell me if this is correct?

Install the CPU & Heatsink (and plug into cpufan), RAM, Video card, and connect the 24pin and 8pin atx power plug, connect required plugs for video card (6850), connect speaker, flip the switch on my powersupply, and touch these two pins with screw driver:

ivDLo.png

And I should get a POST beep? And how do I shut it off? Is it safe to press the switch on my power supply?

Is that really all I have to do? Or am I missing something here? Here are my parts if it helps:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=27490568

Solution
I have never done an outside build , don't see the point of going through all that and then taking it apart and putting it inside the case.
However since the power and reset are momentary connections then you can touch those two pins and get a post start ans if you touch the reset and ground right next to it then you'll get a reset.
Since your doing this outside the case and no OS is loaded you can either shut off the psu or unplug it.

inerax

Distinguished
Is there any reason you are building outside first?

when i have had to do a outside build (test dead mobo) i would plug in the wires from inside the case. That is just so the power button and reset would work on the case.

You going to hook up a HDD?

Are you going to get this thing up and running 100% outside the case?

I have never done an outside build , don't see the point of going through all that and then taking it apart and putting it inside the case.
However since the power and reset are momentary connections then you can touch those two pins and get a post start ans if you touch the reset and ground right next to it then you'll get a reset.
Since your doing this outside the case and no OS is loaded you can either shut off the psu or unplug it.

Solution

draucia

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

I just wanted to test and see if anything was DOA. I will be using a HDD and no, I will put it in case later.

K thanks, that answers it.