Ouya CEO Reveals Plans For Yearly Hardware Refreshes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Release the goddamn thing already, and only then spew nonsense like that. These people seriously either troll too hardly, or just a bunch of loonies.
Market (ESPECIALLY gaming market) doesn't work like that.
World doesn't work like that.
I'm all for Ouya, but not for utterly imbecilic bullshit like this one.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I do not like the annual refresh idea. I could understand bi-annual refreshes, but even then I'm hesitant. Software will tell if I take this project seriously or not though. Show me the games. I am not buying hardware that doesn't have good software.

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
If you read what Julie says, the upgrades may only be to individual components based on the cost from year to year eg 16Gb flash instead of 8Gb. This should be achievable and would be welcome.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

That's the problem, man...that's the problem...
Almost all SoCks (geddit?) are hard-soldered to the board. It's been like that since forever.
There was some socket-detachable SoCks, but it was LOOOOONG time ago and happened quite rarely... >_>

P.S. If recent rumors are true, then...Intel's going to go back to this with Broadwell (meaning Haswell would be the last platform that's not soldered)...now THAT would SuCk, big time... >_<

fkr

Splendid
like others have said this is a good idea. you can buy a console whenever you want and never have to buy an outdated piece of hardware. For me maybe I want to wait a year to see how this works (could be good for the kids to play on) and then I do not have to buy a year old piece of hardware. these little devices could also turn into multifunction devices that stream vids from the desktop and also the internet. once these become more multipurpose I will want it to keep other functions running in the background and I will want it to be able to switch between these functions seamlessly and having better and better hardware will probably be needed as more functions are added.

alfaalex101

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Great, so I won't have to cower in shame with my lowly phone when my friends shell out $600 on a new phone that plays the latest android games.

[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]That's the problem, man...that's the problem...Almost all SoCks (geddit?) are hard-soldered to the board. It's been like that since forever...[/citation]

[citation][nom]fkr[/nom]... you can buy a console whenever you want... [/citation]

You two pretty much hit the nail on the head for me. When I will desire to buy another console will probably be never, although I did admittedly purchase a Wii for the kids a few years ago. Outside of the laptop form factor, I don't like manufacturers shoehorning me any more than necessary, so I don't even buy branded computers. One of the benefits of building and upgrading computers throughout the years, I've pieced together enough computers in the house now that the Wii is mostly collecting dust, and most of the games being played are now on computer. Yes, 5 year olds can learn to play games such as Supreme Commander. It saddens me that the industry I grew up loving has lost sight of trying to provide a good product that they themselves would enjoy, instead seems hell bent on finding new ways to charge more while permitting an ever lessening degree of value to be enjoyed in the product they license to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.