OUYA to Go Retail on June 4 at $99

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]If this takes off I have a feeling that the, 'OUYA 2', wouldn't be $99... Such is the way of things.[/citation]
Supposedly they'll be puttng a new Ouya out every year if it does well. Assuming they keep using Tegra, I don't see how they could afford to give us a Tegra 4 or even a Tegra 4i (cutdown Tegra 4) for $100 in June 2014.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I was never enthusiastic about OUYA from the get-go. A handful of tweakers/hackers are going to buy this thing off the store shelves, but a majority of consumers are probably going to be thinking, "why...?"

Don't get me wrong, I think the IDEA of this has potential, but it's not implemented in a way that makes sense.

An "open" platform that makes you stay within its own ecosystem (and moreover, makes you pay again for literally the same apps you already paid for on Google Play)? Isn't that a bit oxymoronic? "Sorry, you can't use their ecosystem...come and use ours, but you have to pay for the exact same apps you may have already paid for..." (not that you couldn't just side-load whatever paid-apps you've already gotten). I know, it probably has more to do with licensing than what the OUYA creators would have wanted, but still, it speaks volumes.

Sadly, the future of "console" gaming isn't in the living room running games natively on a mobile processing platform. It's in the cloud. If OUYA is used for cloud-gaming-deployment, ok. But for running games natively? I don't think that's the path the gaming market is going.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]teh_chem[/nom]I was never enthusiastic about OUYA from the get-go. A handful of tweakers/hackers are going to buy this thing off the store shelves, but a majority of consumers are probably going to be thinking, "why...?" Don't get me wrong, I think the IDEA of this has potential, but it's not implemented in a way that makes sense.An "open" platform that makes you stay within its own ecosystem (and moreover, makes you pay again for literally the same apps you already paid for on Google Play)? Isn't that a bit oxymoronic? "Sorry, you can't use their ecosystem...come and use ours, but you have to pay for the exact same apps you may have already paid for..." (not that you couldn't just side-load whatever paid-apps you've already gotten). I know, it probably has more to do with licensing than what the OUYA creators would have wanted, but still, it speaks volumes.Sadly, the future of "console" gaming isn't in the living room running games natively on a mobile processing platform. It's in the cloud. If OUYA is used for cloud-gaming-deployment, ok. But for running games natively? I don't think that's the path the gaming market is going.[/citation]

Ouya is announced to support Onlive cloud gaming.

What they mean by open console is that anyone can develop games that support Ouya and you can hack it to run any form of android or linux(ARM) you want. you can install vanilla jelly bean if you want on it, but you wont have access to the Ouya store which is only available through the Ouya version of android. it certainly may have to do with licensing issues that they cant use google play natively, or it might just be that the ouya store has different Ouya versions of games not available in google play. itd be great if google let you transfer your already paid apps to ouya, but thats entirely up to google, the developers, and the ouya team to agree on.

I also think the main focus for this console is to be indie developer paradise. no licensing costs, cheap developement, large customer base, and creative freedom. that is what indie devs want, and that is what they can have through this console. its also a pretty decent htpc with its netflix(and other video/music streaming apps) support and cloud gaming through onlive. also can be raspberry-pified. alot of possibilities with this.

I wouldnt give on up it until I see the actual console after a few months on the market.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
It's unknown at this point if OUYA owners will be able to side-load Amazon's Android-based Appstore… which is what you have to do on Android devices anyway unless it's a Kindle Fire tablet.

Either this statement is backwards or you're referring to the wrong app. Be nice if a wee bit of proofreading were done.

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
I pre-ordered this to use as one thing: a media streamer. A device that can network stream with XBMC and is compatibille with nearly everything except 10bit? Count me in! Nothing else out there will work with my .mkv anime with advanced subtitle scripts (the kind where words can hover in the video, eg putting subtitles on signs and stuff)

Johmama

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Whoa, so this has closed ecosystem? Why? It was barely a marketable "console" even with open Android, now it won't even do that?

[citation][nom]samwelaye[/nom]I pre-ordered this to use as one thing: a media streamer. A device that can network stream with XBMC and is compatibille with nearly everything except 10bit? Count me in! Nothing else out there will work with my .mkv anime with advanced subtitle scripts (the kind where words can hover in the video, eg putting subtitles on signs and stuff)[/citation]

This is the only reason I would ever consider buying one. I already have 2 Rokus but if this can easily stream other ways like through my network, that would be kind of cool. Plus, I'm always down to buy cheap pieces of hardware to tinker around with, both hardware and software-wise. If I brick it or burn it up, oh well. It's 100 bucks. I've done that with cheap tablets and stuff in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.