Over 600,000 Macs Infected With Flashback Malware

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]newsflash bud mac OSX is built on a form of Linux so you FAIL[/citation]
Since when is Mac OS X built on a form of linux?

Finally I don't have to hear "but Mac's don't get viruses and malware." From the idiot sheeple that love those overpiced computers.

If you want to avoid viruses and malware... You best option is probably Linux or Unix.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Since when is Mac OS X built on a form of linux?[/citation]
It is amusing how much incorrect knowledge is spread. The the thing that's really funny is the arrogant tone that was used to spread the mis-information. I'm feeling certain that OS X has never been based off of Linux, but perhaps my thinking that it was based off of BSD Unix is also incorrect.

icedewd

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Come on, the guy is dead, show a little class.[/citation]

Yes, but some of his stupid comments are eternal.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]1 more comment...I bet most of those mac have no virus or malware protection.[/citation]
That is probably a safe assumption. ...like not using a condom...perhaps not too smart.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]It is amusing how much incorrect knowledge is spread. The the thing that's really funny is the arrogant tone that was used to spread the mis-information. I'm feeling certain that OS X has never been based off of Linux, but perhaps my thinking that it was based off of BSD Unix is also incorrect.[/citation]
The Mac OS X is not based of BSD, but XNU does use a lot of components from BSD. Now the XNU is based of the Mach kernel.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Dang can't post anything about Macs or Apple on this website without people blowing up.[/citation]

Even the forum moderators blow up here it seems, had two posts swiped and none had any harsh language at all. Just pointing out that this single malware must have hit a very high percentage of computers compared to other such software when 600.000 are infected considering Mac don't even have a 6% market-share of computers worldwide.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Why does America has such a high percentage of infected Macs when compared to other countries?[/citation]

My guess would be that most Macs are sold in the USA. I don't have a single contact in Europe who uses a Mac, but several in the USA.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]No MS fanboy, Linux and OS X are based off of UNIX[/citation]
Actually Linux is not based off UNIX, it's a UNIX like OS that aims at being compatible with UNIX, which is quite different.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]newsflash bud mac OSX is built on a form of Linux so you FAIL[/citation]
built on UNIX not linux mr I-think-I'm-a-smart-guy-and-tech-geek and nearly every OS (excluding MS windows, Mac OS -not X-, Windows CE and mobile, and I think symbian) are built on UNIX

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]It's a third party extension exploit, JavaIf you need to check out if you have it go here:http://osxdaily.com/2012/04/05/how [...] -mac-os-x/[/citation]

Java isn't third party on Mac OS X (yet).
Apple develops and releases their own version of Java since the very early days of Mac OS X.

Future versions of Java for Mac (from SE 7 onwards) will be released by Oracle though.

The Linux kernel was written from scratch in 1991 by Linus Torvalds to emulate a Unix system without actually using Unix code (which is not open source).

The NextSTEP (the precursor of Mac OS X) was originally released in 1988, combining parts of the Mach kernel (open source) and BSD Unix (not open source).
When Apple took over Next, they took out the closed source parts of BSD and replaced them with open source code, mostly from FreeBSD, I think.

The Linux kernel and the Mac OS X kernel both emulate Unix systems, but they work completely different and have completely different code bases.

ang1dust

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Guy 1: "Hello. Im a mac"
Guy 2: " And im a PC"
Guy 1: " Hey PC, what ya doing?"
Guy 2: "Oh big day, just got home and all the antivirus is installing"
Guy 1: "Antivurs? Whats that?"
Guy 2: "Oh, just stuff to protect you from the outside world. Pain but it will help eventually."
Guy 1: "Nah, it wont...wait...what....I AM SATAN, GIVE ME YOUR BLOOD!"

point made.
The end.

sorry fanbois whether it was built from the UNIX kernel or built from scratch to emulate the UNIX kernel its still a form of UNIX. but its nice to know how many people rely on wikipedia for knowledge these days though

LINUX=UNIX

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]sorry fanbois whether it was built from the UNIX kernel or built from scratch to emulate the UNIX kernel its still a form of UNIX. but its nice to know how many people rely on wikipedia for knowledge these days thoughLINUX=UNIX[/citation]
So just because ReactOS was made to be binary compatible with windows does this means that ReactOS = Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.