Mar 10, 2019
Hi guys, I’m new to the forum but usually when I have computer issues, you guys usually have answers, unfortunately after hours of online searching trying to find a fix, nothing has worked that I’ve found that had worked for anyone else!

Simply put, my bios overclocks will not apply at all, I’ve tried just about everything. Power management, clearing cmos, defaults etc...

It all started technically yesterday at 11pm when I decided I finally wanted to push my overclock a little bit further from 4.4 to possibly 4.6 as I had some voltage wiggle room. Unfortunately it’s almost 7 am now. I had been running this overclock of 4.4 for over a year no problems.
I read a lot into bios options and what not and thought I’d just up then BCLK from 100 to 105, with a a slight .010 cpu voltage increase. I saved the profile as test and rebooted. The computer didn not want to start and kept cycling on and off and I couldn’t do anything about it. Fortunately on its fifth start the screen finally came up and said that the computer failed to boot too many times and sends me to the bios. So I reverted my settings back to my saved 4.4 overclock and the computer started up like normal. Until I opened up cpu z and core temp. Cpu z reads 3.8, as if it’s stock with intel boost kicking in an additional .2 but core temp reads 4.0. Task manager reads anywhere from 3.79 to 3.92, mostly 3.82. After that I went through hours of reads on fixes for this issue and trying them out. Nothing has worked. 7 hours of careful tinkering and zero results, no matter how I overclock it, even using default settings and just turning on the bios ez overclock. It does not apply, all bench marks and voltage readings the same, no matter how simple a overclock I put on it. 3.7 all the way to 4.6. Nothing happens. Bios says it’s set at what I’ve set it to, but everything else says it’s not. I’m at a loss here and am getting quite frustrated, and desperate just to get it back to the 4.4 I had perfectly tuned and hardly hitting over 50 Celsius.

Here’s my build:
Mobo: asrock fatality pro gaming i7 x99
Cpu: i7 6850k 3.6 stock
Ram: patriot viper 4 ddr4 2800 2x8gb
Gpu: evga 1080 ti ftw3

Anyone with ideas, insight, a shot in the dark I will try it. Thank you

OK. What settings are currently being adjusted in the UEFI relating to OC? Was the 4.4 settings from a saved profile? XMP enabled? What about MCE setting? Speedstep or C1E enabled? What about turbo parameters? I have an X99 board with i7 5820k still in service, though back at stock settings for now. Using an ASUS X99 deluxe, but settings should be similar.

Mar 10, 2019
OK. What settings are currently being adjusted in the UEFI relating to OC? Was the 4.4 settings from a saved profile? XMP enabled? What about MCE setting? Speedstep or C1E enabled? What about turbo parameters? I have an X99 board with i7 5820k still in service, though back at stock settings for now. Using an ASUS X99 deluxe, but settings should be similar.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, needed a few hours of sleep. Ok so the 4.4 I had was complete manual overclock of just the cpu no memory overclock
XMp not enabled, though my bios had a setting in dram timing config “load xmp setting” which is on auto, xmp seems to just run it on stock settings anyways. Speed step on and c1e on auto. As far as MCE I do not see anything with that abbreviation or something I could make into that abbreviation. And turbo parameters?
And yes the 4.4 I saved to profile. Even the one I have labeled 4.2 stable does not work. For what I had done to it for 4.4 was set the cpu config the cpu ratio to all core, with 44. In FIVR config I changed cpu vcore voltage mode to adaptive to 1.275 with an off set of 0.050 and changed the cpu cache voltage mode to adaptive. In voltage config I changed the cpu input voltage to offset mode with +0.010 offset. And it ran great no issues everything displayed 4.4, now it won’t with that profile.
Thanks

Ok. Was wondering what voltage settings you had? Were you at 4.4 always even at idle, or just under system load? Regarding turbo, is it enabled somewhere in UEFI? Sync all cores or similar setting set to 44? Cache multiplier changed at all? Input voltage? What about power settings, such a current limits and llc? XMP enable usually will adjust MCE, also called often multicore enhancement. This setting alone would force all cores to run at highest stock turbo multiplier instead of single core defined by Intel. Performance mode in power options turned on in Windows?

Mar 10, 2019
Ok. Was wondering what voltage settings you had? Were you at 4.4 always even at idle, or just under system load? Regarding turbo, is it enabled somewhere in UEFI? Sync all cores or similar setting set to 44? Cache multiplier changed at all? Input voltage? What about power settings, such a current limits and llc? XMP enable usually will adjust MCE, also called often multicore enhancement. This setting alone would force all cores to run at highest stock turbo multiplier instead of single core defined by Intel. Performance mode in power options turned on in Windows?

Ok, so yes the intel turbo boost technology and 3.0 setting is enabled, I cannot disable them if I set the core ratio manually. Cpu cache ratio is on auto. The option MCE also disappears I believe when I manually change the cpu ratio. Only change to cpu input voltage is offset +0.010. . I have tried adjusting the voltage higher up to 1.330 with no results up from the saved profiles 1.275 with 0.050 offset. No changes to current limits or llc. And yes, windows power option is tuned in high to run 100% max and 10% idle, have tried jumping to 100% on the minimum. With the 10% min and 100% it would idle to 1.2 and rise to 4.4 under load. And in cpu z it would show it running 4.4 with the 44 multiplier, now no matter what multiplier I set it to CPU z only shows a 38 multiplier and doesn’t go over 3.8, yet core temp shows 4.0 task manager shows random non load spikes up to 3.92 but under load only runs 3.82

Mar 10, 2019
IMG-0484.jpg

This is what I mean with the difference in ratio show from core temp to cpu z, when Im currently running a 44 multiplier

OK. You could try removing CMOS battery all together, as sometimes default reset from software isn't a full clear. Also, it's possible its OS related or some corruption. Have a spare drive to install W10 without using key just to check? Seen this happen before. Also, saw this myself with Ryzen when using manual voltage without OC settings. UEFI update worth a shot, but that typically deletes the profiles.

Mar 10, 2019
OK. You could try removing CMOS battery all together, as sometimes default reset from software isn't a full clear. Also, it's possible its OS related or some corruption. Have a spare drive to install W10 without using key just to check? Seen this happen before. Also, saw this myself with Ryzen when using manual voltage without OC settings. UEFI update worth a shot, but that typically deletes the profiles.
I have tried removing the battery, do you know what Id be looking at if its OS related or corruption?

Mar 10, 2019
I went online to look at bios updates, it looks like theres a new 1.7 out that states "Update Haswell-E CPU Microcode to revision 3C and Broadwell-E CPU Microcode to revision 0B00002A. " as well as a1.71 beta to "Update CPU Microcode "
Think that might help? it is broadwell e/ep

Edit: Nope, didnt work, seems to bench lower now too

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019
Ok, bios update was worth a shot. I would try the fresh 10 install to be certain it's not OS just to narrow it down.

Ok, I'm going to move over my small 320gb SSD that has windows 10 and some games /files to my 1tb HDD and then reinstall it. Ill update in a bit.
Thanks for your time by the way

No problem. Trying to help narrow down the cause so we can get you back to 4.4GHz. BTW though, Broadwell-E generally didn't OC as well on average as Haswell-E before it. It's the reason I kept my 5820k(at 4.4ghz) and didn't swap out to Broadwell-E. Your attempt at 4.6 might be a bit to much.

Reactions: AndTem
Mar 10, 2019
Well, I had quite a break through. I was talking with my uncle and he told me to download intel extreme tuning utility, diagnostic tools and an update app.
After going through them, I found in the intel extreme tuning utility that all my voltages for my overclock were set right in the utility. I looked at the Core ratio tuner and it showed the slider on 40 but 4.4 ghz on the box to the right of it, I adjusted the slider to 44 and bingo. I'm now back at 4.4 ghz! It won't actually let me go over 4.4 though, I tried adjusting it to 4.5 and 4.6 and it says proposed :4.6 but running 4.4 on tests and all the readers still saying 4.4. So, I guess problem solved with a simple stupid intel app that I didn't need before.

Again, thank you for all your help and time 1LiquidPC. Very grateful you took the time to help me out.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I have an i5-3570k pc and an i7-3770K pc. Intrinsically the exact same cpu except HT is enabled in the i7. Absolutely no issues putting the i7 to 4.9GHz at 1.32v. Sat there for years. The i5? 4.3GHz and stops. Will not go to 4.4GHz stable no matter what settings are applied. Took it to 1.5v and nope, won't even do 43 with 103.7 BCLK. And that's with c-states disabled, all the other normal OC stuff like LLC set, ram was even reset to stock 1600 from its normal 2133 OC. It runs 4.3GHz at 1.114v.

Welcome to the cpu lottery. Just because there's room in vcore to go higher doesn't necessarily mean the cpu will allow it. Sorry.

You'll find that many 'auto' settings will not work for higher OC. Auto settings means the bios/cpu decides what it needs and will adjust as required. It's that adjustment that creates the instability, especially in c-states and other eco/ low power states where the cpu wants one voltage and the mobo is supplying something else. You'll have to manually set the OC, multiplier, vcore, ring voltage, SA, vccio etc where voltages will not deviate. Disable c-states, speedstep, power phase control and any other eco or low power settings.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019
Glad to hear the update. Wouldn't have expected that to fix, but good info to know. The 4.4Ghz is still a great speed. To check, did the settings stay after a reboot?

Well, no unfortunately I have to use the intel extreme tuning utility to adjust after every boot, but it’s allowed me to hit 4.5 no issues. I just don’t get why I can’t use the bios anymore. No matter what I do with the settings.
So I’ve got my oc capability back up, kind of, but bios is just not working right

Mar 10, 2019
I’ve tried manually settings on everything without any variables, everything to static, turned off all low power settings/power phases, cstates disabled. Sometimes wouldn’t start up until it states it failed to boot too many times reverts me to bios, where everything’s the same except the ram speed and timings, it down clocks the ram to 2133. Everything else the same, it boots up.
It reflects the bios vcore setting, and everything else I manually entered, but not the cpu multiplier. Intel turbo boost will not turn off, except the intel turbo boost max 3.0. On boot it says ITBM driver not available. Exiting application. So I assume that means it fails to run on boot.
Everything seems to be taking, except the cpu ratio multiplier. When set to adaptive it lowers the vcore from 1.35 to about 1.21, until I overclock the cpu ratio from 38 to 45 in the intel extreme tuning utility. Then it runs 4.5 ghz great. But it will not take the manually entered cpu ratio in bios, it acts as if it’s stock 3.6 is turbo boosted to 3.8 ghz. Everything else seems to take except for any type of memory change, it won’t take the regular non overclocked numbers of 2800 16-18-18-32, otherwise it won’t boot, and returns me to the bios, and I find it down clocked.
Any ideas why it does not like default settings on the ram, and why it won’t apply the bios cpu ratio?

Last edited:
What are you referring to on RAM? The 2800 you mention with those timings is actually overclocking the RAM and performance of the IMC inside the CPU. Only when DDR4 is ran at 2133 on X99 setup is it actually at "stock". DDR4 is all produced at 2133. When you set XMP, you are effectively attempting to overclock the memory and memory controller themselves. The RAM manufacturer has tested the kits to run at rated speeds, but not every CPU can handle it. My kit that's still being used in X99 build is a 2800 rated CL16 Corsair kit. It has 2 XMP profiles, one for 2800 and one for 3000. However, even just applying XMP, with no adjustments to CPU or anything OC related, it adjusts the CPU voltage, VCCIO and VCCSA voltage itself along with timings. That said, I had trouble booting X99 setup with only this. My IMC was very picky on voltage. In the end, I had to settle at 2666 at tightened timings to reliability boot my PC. Regarding CPU ratio, can you provide pics of UEFI settings you are using?

Mar 10, 2019
Ah, figures for the ram. That’s ok though. Yeah let me gather some up before I head to work. I enabled back the adaptive settings and some other things like speed step and what not cause they didn’t help the issue and didn’t have an issue before until I attempted the first overclock changing the bsclk frequency on the 4.4 stable profile to oc it to 4.6 but I guess the memory oc on that screwed it from booting, doesn’t explain why cpu ratios won’t stick anymore though.
I’ll have full pics up here in a few

OK. Have to check over these. Max Turbo Boost 3.0 disabled? Also long and short duration power limits may need adjusted. Not sure what ASROCK does regarding AUTO settings? You could raise your cache quite a bit, it's at stock 3000, had mine at 4000 at 1.25v. That's another story though, as we're trying to figure this out. 2133 is normal stock with no XMP enabled. Just to test, have you attempted booting your CPU with 40 ratio vs 45? Being that you are currently manually adjusting in Windows isn't the same strain as a cold boot with same OC settings.

Mar 10, 2019
Exactly, I do not like software overclocking. Max turbo on or off doesn’t make a difference. I read cpu ration supposed to be around 300 MHz of cpu ratio, but it doesn’t like 41, 3000 is just what I found that the computer runs and boots and OCs in the intel extreme tuning utility. I’m still playing with that one. And yes I have tried overclocking the cpu ratio from 39 to 44 with higher than normal voltages, but within safe range to make sure it’ll handle running the cpu ratios from 39 to 44.
Anything I’m not quite certain of in the bios I don’t take off auto, like the power durations and what not. I literally duplicated everything I had for my stable profile of 4.4 and it doesn’t take, also tried the 4.2 stable profile I had set up early when I was inching up the cpu ratio. Everything in bios seems to react to adjustment except cpu ratio. I had a couple times when I started the computer after changed the bclk from 100 to 105, the very first overclock I tried that started this issue, where the vcore was jumping extremely high to as far as 1.68 on default settings, even though I had set parameters for the vcore to not go over 1.325.
And to add, a lot those bios settings are what I currently recently went back to that we’re working with the 4.4 OC, except I left the cstates disabled and changed the cache to 3000 from auto. (Im starting with this to start bumping that and it’s voltage up to find where it likes it)

Thanks for the update. Very odd situation here. So booting at 4.0 instead of 4.5 has same result? I was curious if you had started low just to see what happens. Changing only CPU ratio, can you boot at 37, if so, 38 and so on to see if there is a point that you cannot POST. You really don't want to adjust BCLK in this generation more than a few Mhz. It's tied to the rest of the system unlike the old days of OC. Even a few Mhz high or low of 100 can cause all sorts of stability issues. There were BCLK straps for X99 though, 100 and 125 being two of them. This could allow for certain frequency RAM kits to work as some kits only like 100 strap whereas others work with 125. Yes, it does get complicated. I spent tons of time reading through all this from my own troubles back in 2014 at X99 launch. This was by far the most complicated setup to get my OC dialed in from 15 yrs or so at it.