Question (Over the) Max temps in idle

May 25, 2021
Hello everyone,

The last few days I've come to a quite frustrating point with my pc, since its constantly overheating and I cannot figure out why.
It all started when my FX-8370 started having some high temps in idle (60-65c), about a month ago, so I guessed the thermal paste went bad and needed replacement. I have a Kraken M22 for cooling. I did replace it with the same paste I had gotten when I first built the PC (around 2016), since there was still plenty of it and I had kept it in good room conditions. The paste is a DeepCool Z5. When I rebooted the pc, the situation was worse - it was now overheating at 70-75c in idle. I thought I might didn't apply the paste correctly, or the correct amount, so I reapplied the paste again, giving much attention to the amount (pea dot at the center of the cpu). When I rebooted the pc again, the situation was EVEN worse - it was now idling at 80c! I then thought that maybe the M22's pump broke. I swapped its SYSFAN port to another one, since my mobo doesn't have a dedicated pump port, and it seemed to work at both ports, because the temps went even higher when I tried disconnecting it completely for some seconds. I then came to the conclusion that the thermal paste probably went bad due to its age. So I bought a new Arctic MX4 today, which I applied and guess what... The cpu is still idling at 80c.

Note that I did clean the cpu and the heatsink with alcohol wipes before every new application. I also do tighten enough the heatsink's screws (not very much to avoid possible harm, but quite enough).

Only thing that seemed weird to me, is that every time I disassembled the heatsink from the cpu to apply paste again, the paste had every time "formed" a circle around the cpu's center, where there was very little paste left at the center and plenty at the edges, despite the fact that I always applied the pea dot at the center of it.
Moreover, I have noticed a weird somewhat "burn" spot of thermal paste at the center of the copper part of the M22's heatsink. That "burn" won't go away with the alcohol wipes, no matter how hard I scrub it. Its like a small amount of the paste became one with the copper. I don't know if that has anything to do with my issue.

I really cannot think of anything else to be at fault. Any ideas?

Have you adjusted any overclocking or timing settings or voltage adjustments on anything? Have you updated the BIOS recently? Try resetting the BIOS to default after copying down your current settings.
You also need to verify that your Kraken is working. I'm not very familiar with the model. Does it have software that gives pump speed and temps?

May 25, 2021
Have you adjusted any overclocking or timing settings or voltage adjustments on anything? Have you updated the BIOS recently? Try resetting the BIOS to default after copying down your current settings.
You also need to verify that your Kraken is working. I'm not very familiar with the model. Does it have software that gives pump speed and temps?

I had overclocked the cpu a bit, but that was ages ago and I had since reverted to defaults, and the temperatures were fine all this time. I tried resetting to defaults again, with no result. No I haven't updated the BIOS either recently, I'm running the latest version for quite some time.
NZXT's CAM software doesn't provide the pump's speed and temp, but I guess the speed is at max since its connected on a SYSFAN header. Only "verification" I could do to see if it's working, is that I disconnected the header while it was working for some seconds to see if the cpu temp will go even higher, which it did.

May 25, 2021
Update: I read somewhere that shaking the M22's radiator could help, if the problem is air bubbles in the rad/pump. I did remove it and shook it a bit, then rebooted. I heard some fizzling noise from the radiator the first time and the pc now shuts down after 1-2 minutes due to excessive temperature, the cooler can't cool the cpu at all and it exceeds 95-100c. Is it completely dead now?