Overall Components Check and Suggestions

vegasmazza3

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
So I -planned- on having a computer built over the summer but that didn't happen... and things have changed a little bit.

Basically want with a computer is multitasking (I often keep a crap load of Chrome tabs open) and gaming; also use for 4K media (primarily for the future).

Haven't really been able to game on my current computer because it's 7+ years old. I'm looking to build something that will last a while at least decently for gaming (obviously keeping up with trying to have max settings would be a constant endeavor).

What I'm specifically looking at now:

• - CPU: i7-5930K (stuck with Intel) (I was previously looking at the i7-5820K because basically the same, but the difference in price is now only $80 and it matters more with different SSD choice)
    - Motherboard: MSI Godlike Gaming - super expensive, probably totally unnecessary... BUT THE LIGHTS THE COLORS! (needs DDR4, compatible with above CPU, USB 3.1)
    - RAM: DDR4 3000+ 4 x 8GB or 2 x 16 GB - prices have come down considerably since I was last considering this... I know Corsair is pretty good, but afaik as long at its mainstream brand, doesn't matter too much?
    - SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB (this takes PCI lanes I think... which is one of the reasons for 5930 vs 5820). Just that for now - may add in a cheaper 1TB SSD for media later down the line.
    - Power Supply: 1000W - 80 Plus Platinum (should it be less??? I'm assuming 1000W = capacity... not always using that much).
    - GPU: Nvidia 980 Ti or 980 (I'm leaning Ti because of 4K, but not sure how much of a difference it makes... it is also $100-$200 more). In the previous thread I had AMD Fury X was suggested because of 4K, but I'm pretty stuck with Nvidia (for no particular reason). No plans for multiple video cards right now. Once you get the specific model, not sure about manufacturer (have had evga) AND then within even that it seems like (at least with evga) they have like 4 different versions....
    - Monitor: Samsung 28" 4K
    - Case: Obviously need one... it's pretty personal I'm assuming. I just want a side window! AFAIK mobo size is the main factor to consider.
    - Cooling: No idea about this, but just don't want to deal with anything liquid cooling. Prefer quieter (at least in standby, not when doing anything intense, etc.). My current computer is like a heater (I bet they are all like that regardless...)
    - Any other recommendations:
    Going to get Blu-ray writer/reader (x2 mainly because with my current PC, one crapped out on me so it was nice to have two)
    Any front USB panels recommended or fan controls?? Lot of things I've seen don't have great reviews (also fan controls I have with my current PC crapped out and didn't really seem to do much...)

+ Anything else I should consider...

BUDGET: (for everything) $3000-$4000, prefer not more, but WILL if need be (it's been 7 years, I'm going in a lot!)

Thanks for the help!

P.S. If anyone has any recommendations for someone to build in Washington DC and surrounding area (someone known probably a business/store or something), let me know! I've read/heard it isn't too hard to build PC, but honestly don't want to chance it with expensive stuff.

Solution
Good build that will keep you happy for a long time, the Godlike mobo is as you mention totally unnecessary (and very expensive), can save a lot by going with the Asus X99-A or the Rock's Fatal1ty X99X Killer. For X99 I'd go with the GSkill Ripjaws 4 (slightly optimized for true Quad channel use), cooler wise might look at the Cryorig H7 or their R1 if want to spend more
No need for the 5930K. The 5820K has 28 PCIe lanes, of which 24 are used for PCIe slots and 4 for the M.2 port. Other ports run off the chipset PCIe lanes.

That fast memory won't really help gaming. Brand doesn't matter that much, no. Some particular models will overclock better than others, but that's always a bit of a lottery anyway.

Also no need for a 1000W power supply. Even for two GTX 980 Ti's in SLI it's a bit overkill, 850-900W should be sufficient there. For a single 980 Ti, 600W is fine. For a 980, 500W is fine. The 980 Ti is definitely worth it for 4K, by the way.

CPU cooler could be the Noctua NH-D15, or older (very similar) D14. If you don't like brown, there are some decent alternatives from Phanteks etc.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Good build that will keep you happy for a long time, the Godlike mobo is as you mention totally unnecessary (and very expensive), can save a lot by going with the Asus X99-A or the Rock's Fatal1ty X99X Killer. For X99 I'd go with the GSkill Ripjaws 4 (slightly optimized for true Quad channel use), cooler wise might look at the Cryorig H7 or their R1 if want to spend more

Solution

vegasmazza3

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
This is what I'm looking at...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rtT6CJ

Anything missing or possible compatibility issues??? Additional parts, wires, etc. that may be needed (I know I need a keyboard and mouse... still deciding on those!) Or maybe anything that may be -better- (but not astronomically more expensive)?

Also I'm wondering if I should get Windows 7 and then just do a free upgrade (or not) or just get Windows 10.

vegasmazza3

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008

I may just use externals for large size media. But SSDs aren't hard to add in later right?

Anything else you see that could be an issue aside from that?

vegasmazza3

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008

The Cryorig R1 Ultimate