[SOLVED] Overclock I5-4690K HDD not found in Windows

Apr 14, 2020
Hi,
As the title said I'm have issues with a Overclock on my CPU. I'm new at this but have done some research on overclocking on the i5-4690k and it seemed to be rather straight forward but the result varies between 4.0 to 4.8 Ghz.

My rig:
Motherboard: MSI z97-s02
CPU: I5-4690K
GPU: ASUS DUAL-GTX1070-8G
500 W on my power supply if that is relevant
16 GB ram

But to the issue.

After i've increased my voltade on the core to anything between 1.200 to 1.300 and my clock speed to anything between 4.0-4.5 Ghz I run in to a problem.
Should also note I dissabled the "Enhanced Turbo" setting in BIOS.

In the beginning of the Overclock, like the first day before I shut down my computer, the Overclock works perfectly with either of the setting I've talked about. But whenever I restart the computer after it's been off for a while it loads windows slowly and my oldest HDD doesn't get recognized by windows. Should also note that the HDD isn't the one with Windows 10 on.

Haven't found out a way to allocate the HDD in disk management and I've also set my energy alternativ to "HIGH PERFORMANCE" if that has anything to do with it. I should also note that the HDD in question is by far the oldest one and dates back like 11 years or so.

The CPU temperature goes to 60-68 celsius whenever I play a taxing game.

So do anybody here know anything about my situation? Should I tweak my voltage? Should I ditch my HDD? Or is my CPU really low-end? Or am I missing a really basic thing in BIOS?

Happy for every opinion I can get cause I'm kinda stuck! :)

Solution
The CPU is probably unstable which is why you are having the hard drive issues. lets get that fixed first.

1. Yes disable Enhanced Turbo, from what I've read that is MSI's auto OC utility don't use it.
  2. When I had my 4690K years ago, I needed around 1.255v at 4.5ghz to get stable. 1.3v is kinda high, I would start at 1.275v (Asus's recommended max voltage for Haswell) and run 4.4ghz.
  3. Run a stress test like OCCT (very good free program I use extensively), run that for 4 hours and see if that's stable. If not, lower frequency to 4.3ghz and try again. If it is stable, increase to 4.5ghz and run for another 4 hours.

Also, MAKE SURE you are on the LATEST BIOS for that motherboard. Overclocking can be helped immensely by...
The CPU is probably unstable which is why you are having the hard drive issues. lets get that fixed first.

1. Yes disable Enhanced Turbo, from what I've read that is MSI's auto OC utility don't use it.
  2. When I had my 4690K years ago, I needed around 1.255v at 4.5ghz to get stable. 1.3v is kinda high, I would start at 1.275v (Asus's recommended max voltage for Haswell) and run 4.4ghz.
  3. Run a stress test like OCCT (very good free program I use extensively), run that for 4 hours and see if that's stable. If not, lower frequency to 4.3ghz and try again. If it is stable, increase to 4.5ghz and run for another 4 hours.

Also, MAKE SURE you are on the LATEST BIOS for that motherboard. Overclocking can be helped immensely by being on the latest BIOS for your board (that isn't a beta fyi).

Solution
Apr 14, 2020
Thank you for the reply! I just removed the HDD, it seems faulthy and is old so better to remove it before it gives up on me for real. Just downloaded OCCT and vill try to find my sweetpoint :)