Overclockers Push 8-core Skulltrail To 6 GHz: Dual-socket Overclocking Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I'm an AMD fan through and through. I love rooting for the underdog, but I have to admit that I'm impressed with this result. Intel really did take the ball and run with it on this one.

zeuseason

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
According to this forum post on XtremeSystems, one of big overclocking community sites, "Vince" was able to run all eight cores at 6006 MHz - or a total of 48 GHz of processing horsepower. Eight cores clocked at 6 GHz is something we didn’t expect to see in quite some time.

Gulp!

xTalent

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
K|ngp|n has always been extremely good at overclocking, and he used liquid nitrogen cooling which costs more then the motherboard and processors combined.

engrpiman

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Liquid Nitrogen is not the expensive: you can buy 25L for $50. thats $2/liter. When you think about it that make is almost as cheap as soda pop

G

He set the core voltage to nearly 2.0 volts, it's not like the processor is going to last more than a few days at that clock speed, no matter how much he cools it. What's more impressive is that his powersupply and mobo can actually provide the 600+ watts the 2 cpus must be drawing under load, the article that Toms Hardware did on skulltrail indicated it was a pretty shoddy platform in general, I can't say that this result actually makes me want to buy it. Had this been acheived at 1.4 volts, I might consider.

teh_boxzor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
This article wasn't to entice you to buy the platform but rather show you that Intel is ahead of its game by delivering a chip that can be Oc'ed 2.8 ghz

G

@teh_boxzor:

I wouldn't say that this means intel is ahead of the game, due to the insanely high clock voltage and cooling method. I would imagine that an AMD Phenom with the same voltage and cooling could be atleast clocked to 5GHZ+ , which would result in an overclock of about 2.8ghz. The cooling and voltage add about 2ghz of OC potential, with normal cooling the cpu can only be OCed by about 800mhz.

TFBundy

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
"48 GHz of power" ROLF, if I put on two wrist watches will I have 2Hz of clocking power? Hz = cycles per second... so 8 cores at 6 GHz still = 6GHz. Theo you fool, you can't add frequency like that - they don't go at 48 000 000 000 cyles per second just 6 006 000 000 cycles....

xcorat

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
OMFG!!! AMDs ruined....................!!!!!

btw, TFBundy he's talkin abt just the power. If you run a pure multithreaded application, that would run nearly as fast as a 48GHz single core. Dont be so naive. (well that is pseudo-theoretically, it will probably scale about 75%-80% but not more,)

TFBundy

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
xcorat - you're doing it wrong.
As I said, Hz != measure of processing power, Hz = measure of FREQUENCY; & you can't add frequency like that. If I play A4 at 440Hz, then get another piano to play A4 at 440Hz, we don't suddenly get A5@880Hz - we still have A4. just louder.

If you were using gigaflops and said "I have one core at x, so 4 cores give me 4x" that's all fine and dandy, but using frequency like that is just a bit special.

Status
Not open for further replies.