[SOLVED] Overclocking 4790k

Osama Nawaz

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
Hello
I have a 4790k processor with an Asus z97-c motherboard

I checked the temps on HWinfo and they are getting really hot
cpu package is around 50-60 C idle and went upto 100 C when i ran a game

why is it so hot? I am not sure but auto overclocking is active on this mobo, is that causing it?

Solution
Sometimes you can fix bent pins with a needle.
Or, a jeweler might be able to do it.
Pins are all too easy to damage if you do not cleanly drop in the processor.
If you need to smoosh it around to seat it, damage is likely.
You were fortunate that it worked at all.
Usually, you get strange ram issues.
There's not a big difference in heat from those 2 processors.

You have said nothing about what your temps were on the 4770. Maybe there is little or no change.

You mention auto-overclocking is on. Are you unwilling to turn it off?

You haven't said anything about your cooler, case, case fans, etc.

Anything is possible.....bad cooler mounting; bad application of thermal paste, case fans not running at proper RPM; incorrect BIOS settings, etc.

We are pretty much in the dark without more info from you.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Osama Nawaz

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
There's not a big difference in heat from those 2 processors.

You have said nothing about what your temps were on the 4770. Maybe there is little or no change.

You mention auto-overclocking is on. Are you unwilling to turn it off?

You haven't said anything about your cooler, case, case fans, etc.

Anything is possible.....bad cooler mounting; bad application of thermal paste, case fans not running at proper RPM; incorrect BIOS settings, etc.

We are pretty much in the dark without more info from you.
ok
so i applied new thermal paste but had to switch mobo's later but havent yet applied new paste. changed after two days
should i apply new paste?

this is the first time ive owned a Z board so idk much about it. it seems to be on auto overclock in the settings.
it is on default settings

i have corsair spec 1 casing with 3 fans, two on front one back. set to auto fan speed. around 1000 rpm
one thermaltake cooler.

i dont think the old cpu went this high on temps, i never checked recently but did on this one to test it.

You should apply new paste any time you break the cooler away from the CPU. Did you do that?

I'd imagine Thermaltake makes some good and some bad coolers.

I don't know which you have.

I know nothing about "auto overclocking" but if I were worried about temps, turning that off would be my best idea at this moment.

I don't know if you have tried that.

I don't know the amount of overclock you have attained.....if any.

Have you attempted to run the case fans at above 1000 rpm?

I don't know if they are good, bad, or average fans.

It appears that the temps on your old 4770 are unknown, so maybe your temps now are pretty much the same.

Not enough detail to tell much right now.....overclocking, cooler, thermal paste, and case fans all remain as possible issues. Leaving aside whether the temps are higher than on the 4770.

Maybe your case has mediocre air flow..another possibility.

Maybe your games are highly demanding. Maybe not. Not enough info supplied.

Riing Silent 12 Pro Red CPU Cooler

how do i stop auto overclock? i have never overclocked before
the motherboard has it on by default i think
I am not familiar with the bios of your exact motherboard, you will need to have a look and see if any auto oc is switched on. If you want to oc I would recommend Googling guides for your cpu and also the motherboard so you can do it manually. I would try and find multiple guides instead of relying on one. This is what I did with my old Z87 and 4670k. Looking at that cooler Id expect its OK for light overclocking.

Reactions: Osama Nawaz
auto overclocking
Auto overclocking features tend to jack the CPU voltage up to absurd levels which causes excessive heat. You can probably drop your voltage 100 mV and maintain the same performance with less heat.

In the bios, learn to set the voltage manually. Avoid using any auto overclock feature.

Run a test like Cinebench and user HWiNFO to monitor the VCore voltage. That will give you an idea of how much voltage your CPU is getting when under load.

Your cooler is appropriate.

Run HWmonitor.
At idle with nothing going on, your minimum cpu core temperatures should be perhaps 10-15c. over your room temperature.
If significantly higher, it is likely that the cooler was not mounted well.

Run a simple stress test with CPU-Z.
If you see 100c. in red for a cpu core, it means you have throttled.
This could be because of excessive overclock, lack of airflow to the cpu cooler, or from a poor cooler mount.
What does the cpu-Z core voltage say?
That is the voltage that generates heat.
What is the cpu speed as recorded by cpu-Z as well as Hwmonitor?

Osama Nawaz

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
ok guys so i tried replacing the thermal paste but when i removed the cpu i noticed the motherboard cpu pins are bent!
i am gonna replace this motherboard

i am on my old mobo again and the temps are way better
arent even going to 70 C when gaming

Solution

Osama Nawaz

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
what other issues can bent pins cause even if it looks like it works perfectly?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Are these pins bent correctly, or incorrectly? Some pics would help. [Use image hosting sites: imgur.com, postimages.org, imgbb.com]

When installing the cpu and clamping it down with the retention mechanism, the pins will all bend in a uniform pattern. If there are some going against the 'flow', then those are wrong.

Are these pins bent correctly, or incorrectly? Some pics would help. [Use image hosting sites: imgur.com, postimages.org, imgbb.com]

When installing the cpu and clamping it down with the retention mechanism, the pins will all bend in a uniform pattern. If there are some going against the 'flow', then those are wrong.
Good point for clarification.

Normally, all the pins should be bent. That is how contact with the cpu is made.
What is bad is if a few pins are bent out of position and not aligned with the rest.

Osama Nawaz

Distinguished
May 5, 2015

sorry for the late reply, i swapped mobos

I tried to have that one repaired but it didnt work, its still with the repair guy. hope it gets fixed
I got another Z97 board. its a MSIZ97m gaming board